Sponsored by:

Discount on a C7?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by vettelover69
When the 15's hit the 14's will drop in price no doubt about it. After the initial rush of people who have to have it first sales are going to drop off and level back out to Late C6 numbers and maybe a bit above.

And if anyone thinks that in this economy that people are lining up to pay 60-70 grand sticker for a toy and have GM selling 30-40 thousand units a year is just crazy.

And yes people are breaking their necks to see the new vette just as they do with any car that has a radical change to it. When I got the Explorer Sport Trac it was one of the first ones and I had people doing the same thing until it became the norm.

Hell I still get plenty of stares at my 13 GS because the vette is the car that a lot of people want and wish they could have it but can't afford a toy that costs 50,60,70 grand and up.

Gorgeous car and I can't wait to see the hipo version but prices will fall sooner than you think. And as mentioned earlier with a little leg work you can find them right now at 5 grand off sticker.

Just another 2013 Vette owner hanging out in the C7 section wishing real hard that what he said is true. Let me say right up front I think C6 cars are very cool. The wide bodies are head turners. I do not disrespect any Corvette. The facts are they have produced over 4000 C7's already and are not even close to meeting demand. These numbers are fact not a guess. 30,000 new C7's is an easy goal. 40,000 is more then possible.

As for $5,000 off sticker that is pure fabrication. All you need to do is give the members of the Forum a link to any discounted new Stingray. I have heard I can't tell you who. Really? I guess so.

The more C7's that hit the street the more the design will be accepted as the standard. I drive my C7 and it draws a crowd more then any other new Corvette I have owned. Interesting is the fact it draws people who are not Corvette fantatics .

I am sorry that people took huge discounts for 2013 cars and feel it is necessary to spread misinformation about new Stingrays.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 AM
asphaltrecycler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are out of your tree if you think this market segment will sustain at 30-40k annual sales. The segment is DEAD. They only produced 10-15k C6's per year because THAT IS ALL THE MARKET WOULD HANDLE in regards to retail buyers coming to the table. The traditional buyer got too old and fat, or they have already been planted and the younger generations have other vehicle types (and toys) to choose from.
It is not a knock at all on the car, it is just a market reality. Segments come and go. Look what happened to the personal luxury coupe (Mark 7&8, Legend Coupe etc...) I don't care if you liked them or not, it was a segment that was quite active, now it is nonexistent. Back in the 70's and mid 80's, GM's most popular body style was a full size 2-door coupe (Cutlass, Monte, GP, Regal)....GM does not even build a 2 door coupe today...Same situation has happened with the station wagon, mini van, regular cab pickup truck, full size van, etc, etc, etc.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

^ "Interesting is the fact it draws people who are not Corvette fanatics."

I'll add that the new C7 draws new buyers who were not previously Corvette fanatics. Game changer, it is.

Now where are those dealerships knocking off a few grand off of sticker prices?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 AM
asphaltrecycler
Instructor

Any new and exciting product that is surrounded by buzz draws its share of early adapters..It is sustainability that puts real food on the table...There were a-holes that waited in line for the new Iphone 5S to come out just a few weeks ago, and now Apple is choking on them.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by asphaltrecycler
You are out of your tree if you think this market segment will sustain at 30-40k annual sales. The segment is DEAD. They only produced 10-15k C6's per year because THAT IS ALL THE MARKET WOULD HANDLE in regards to retail buyers coming to the table. The traditional buyer got too old and fat, or they have already been planted and the younger generations have other vehicle types (and toys) to choose from.
It is not a knock at all on the car, it is just a market reality. Segments come and go. Look what happened to the personal luxury coupe (Mark 7&8, Legend Coupe etc...) I don't care if you liked them or not, it was a segment that was quite active, now it is nonexistent. Back in the 70's and mid 80's, GM's most popular body style was a full size 2-door coupe (Cutlass, Monte, GP, Regal)....GM does not even build a 2 door coupe today...Same situation has happened with the station wagon, mini van, regular cab pickup truck, full size van, etc, etc, etc.

The car market has grown to 15 Million units. Your reality is not reality. I know you are not knocking the car just the market for the car. So we agree to disagree. Please realize I respect your right to post your opinion. The low numbers for 2013's was because we were waiting for the new model.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:55 AM
asphaltrecycler
Instructor

No, the car market is back to 15 million, which is still not the 17 million it was from 2002-2005.
Again, this 15 million number is derived due to pent up demand as a result of the adverse economic conditions from '08-'12. There is not a PM or marketeer worth their salt that is forecasting future production/retail sales to sustain at or above the 15 million mark in the future.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You are out of your tree if you think this market segment will sustain at 30-40k annual sales. The segment is DEAD. They only produced 10-15k C6's per year because THAT IS ALL THE MARKET WOULD HANDLE in regards to retail buyers coming to the table. The traditional buyer got TOO OLD AND FAT, or they have already been planted and the younger generations have other vehicle types (and toys) to choose from.
It is not a knock at all on the car, it is just a market reality.
Is that what people have been telling you when they're approaching you about your C7? Oh wait, you're not driving one so you don't know.
In two weeks and 600 local miles, I have been approached by several police officers (in a good way), three of whom asked serious questions as they have cars on orders or stated they were going to purchase. A new black Escalade went by in a parking lot two nights ago and then backed up. The female passenger said, "Who do you know to get one so fast? I saw your car and told my husband to get over there, that's a new one! We have one on order."
From the responses I have heard, mostly from non-Corvette people, the perception is that it's the Corvette that got OLD AND FAT. Please don't take that as my assessment, I'm just saying what more than a hundred people have said to me personally. Only time will tell if your assessment of "market reality" is accurate. This will be interesting.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM
asphaltrecycler
Instructor

Remember, the C6, C5 and the C4 were all the best thing since sliced bread when they launched. We all s#it our pants when we saw the first few, then we saw the next few, then Kerbeck was knocking $10k off the sticker to get us to buy one....
Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I am sorry that people took huge discounts for 2013 cars and feel it is necessary to spread misinformation about new Stingrays.
Bill, I'm not sure if you are referring to me, are you?
Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Remember, the C6, C5 and the C4 were all the best thing since sliced bread when they launched. We all s#it our pants when we saw the first few, then we saw the next few, then Kerbeck was knocking $10k off the sticker to get us to buy one....
Dude...you are preaching to the Choir! These guys who paid full rip or higher want you too believe these are the most special cars in the land.

What I find so funny is they just started to hit dealers and dealers are already advertising them for sale. Are some above msrp? Sure they are... and dealers know there are a few more suckers left that will pay it.

This nonsense will be over in 4-6 months not to mention the 15s will be coming out which we all know will have some form of improvements!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Obviously they won't be at sticker forever, but to give you a historic perspective, when the C6 came out we didn't discount that car until November of the second model year and then it was $1,500. By then end of the 2006 model year we were taking off $3,500 off and by the end of the third model year we were taking $4,500 off coupes and $5,500 of convertibles.

Keep in mind that because of 3 price increases that someone who bought a 2006 for $1,500 off MSRP still paid over $1,000 more than someone that paid sticker for a 2005. And, unless it was an automatic, there was no big difference.

Also, the demand for the 2013 is way higher than the C6 or the C5. For the C6 we presold about 200 and this car we presold over 400 and are still taking deposits.

So, yes there will eventually be discounts but don't look for $10,000 discounts in 6 months.

Dave
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Looking at "C7 Dealer Inventory"' a forum dealer is already discounting the C7 up to $1,995.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Obviously they won't be at sticker forever, but to give you a historic perspective, when the C6 came out we didn't discount that car until November of the second model year and then it was $1,500. By then end of the 2006 model year we were taking off $3,500 off and by the end of the third model year we were taking $4,500 off coupes and $5,500 of convertibles.

Keep in mind that because of 3 price increases that someone who bought a 2006 for $1,500 off MSRP still paid over $1,000 more than someone that paid sticker for a 2005. And, unless it was an automatic, there was no big difference.

Also, the demand for the 2013 is way higher than the C6 or the C5. For the C6 we presold about 200 and this car we presold over 400 and are still taking deposits.

So, yes there will eventually be discounts but don't look for $10,000 discounts in 6 months.

Dave

Dave, what's been GM's history on making employee discounts available on first year new designs for Corvette? I'm asking how long before employee discounts kick in?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 PM
ravenna2000
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick update regarding dealer offer. I received another phone call from the dealer offering $1,500 off MSRP if I would order now. I really like the guy and will probably work with him as he stays in touch and seems quite honest. I can't pull the trigger yet as I have money coming at years end. The most recent comment to me was they had allocation available and not enough orders to fill all allocation even if they could order all as z51's. This is a big dealer and a forum dealer. When I asked if he thought I could work a discount on a z51 if they are available for order in Feb. He said he could assure me he would offer $1,000 at minimum. The C7 is great and I will get one but they are currently available at good prices if you work and find the right dealer. I'm posting not to start any argument I just don't want to see good people spend more than they need.

Last edited by ravenna2000; 10-18-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
Bill, I'm not sure if you are referring to me, are you?
No I am not. It is a generalization. As I said before I love c6's great cars. I am referring to the people who bought 2013 C6's and then bash the people who bought C7's. They keep saying we paid to much, or the car is overrated, or some feature they do not like. Why they can not just be happy for people who are happy with their cars rather then just find fault at every turn.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ravenna2000
Quick update regarding dealer offer. I received another phone call from the dealer offering $1,500 off MSRP if I would order now. I really like the guy and will probably work with him as he stays in touch and seems quite honest. I can't pull the trigger yet as I have money coming at years end. The most recent comment to me was they had allocation available and not enough orders to fill all allocation even if they could order all as z51's. This is a big dealer and a forum dealer. When I asked if he thought I could work a discount on a z51 if they are available for order in Feb. He said he could assure me he would offer $1,000 at minimum. The C7 is great and I will get one but they are currently available at good prices if you work and find the right dealer. I'm posting not to start any argument I just don't want to see good people spend more than they need.

If this dealer wants to sell his allotment below market that is his business. However what person selling a car wants to keep it a secret? Bottom line it is just hearsay unless it comes with a name. Make it worst this is a forum dealer who wants to keep it a secret. I needed a good laugh..
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
No I am not. It is a generalization. As I said before I love c6's great cars. I am referring to the people who bought 2013 C6's and then bash the people who bought C7's. They keep saying we paid to much, or the car is overrated, or some feature they do not like. Why they can not just be happy for people who are happy with their cars rather then just find fault at every turn.
Good to hear. I'm very happy with the 427 it just seems like a perfect fit for me, and I love the vert and the LS7 motor combination. I have congratulated many that have received their Stingray. Even though I'm not a fan of the rear end, I think it is a fantastic bargain considering the technology and performance.

I love the Corvette, and I'm very happy to hear the stories behind the generational buyers such as yourself, as this is my first Chevy, first vert, first manual, & first Corvette (my lifelong dream)! Best wishes!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 PM
ravenna2000
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill17601 - your welcome to your thoughts but your inference that I am on here lying serves no purpose. I spent 33 years working for manufacturers and we were never happy when dealers resorted to additional profit margins, although it is within their rights. I have personally owned 16 corvettes over the years and know many owners, my only purpose was to encourage others to work and save and not just throw money at the first dealer they talk to. And yes, I worked in sales my entire career.

Last edited by ravenna2000; 10-18-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Discount on a C7?