C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This isn't good news...(Z51 Constraint issues)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 AM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

My exact feelings also; I want the MR shocks and wheels.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeC4C5C6...C7
I didn't "need" a Z51 but I ordered it for two principal reasons--the wheels are much better looking than the standard wheels IMO and the Magnetic Ride Control is not offered on the standard model. I had MSRC on my C6 and didn't want to go backwards technologically.

Assuming that these two items are not the reasons for the Z51 constraints, GM could make the standard model more attractive if they offered one or both of these as separate options on the non-Z51 coupe.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
GM needs to find additional parts suppliers for the constrained items, or they risk losing sales.
And, said demand could really tempt GM to raise the price on the Z51 package...
if that thing really said up to one year or into the '15 model year, that's really severe! in which case, what Gary wrote above could become reality. I read where one fellow walked in and was told Z51 wouldn't be available until May/June next year; at first, he thought the guy just didn't know and tossed out a timeframe. hmmm, maybe not so. I find it hard to believe it would take this long to remedy lack of supplier/parts issues tho.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit's Vette
this is the email I have spoke about in other posts from GM on my Z51 vert. I will contact my dealership as well to see what type story I get from them.

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet regarding your 2014 Corvette Stingray order. We apologize for the delay in our response. We have received a large number of inquiries since last week’s shipment announcement. We are working as hard as we can to provide the latest updates.

As of October 09, 2013, the status of Order Number RHHRNM is the following:

Order has been placed by your dealership and accepted by Chevrolet and is now in line for production. This process can take time, is subject to change, and does not mean that the vehicle is physically being built at this time. The next step in the process will be the assignment of a Target Production Week (TPW). However, at this time a TPW is not available for this order.......

We appreciate your patience and recognize the high amount of anticipation for the 2014 Corvette Stingray.

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com

You have received this email advertising GM products and services in response to your recent request for vehicle information. To opt out of receiving future email messages from General Motors please visit http://www.gmcontactpreferences.com/.

General Motors Corporation, 100 Renaissance Center, 482-MAR-100, Detroit, MI 48265
I received the same basic message on 09.26 and assumed that my Z51 vert had moved from status 1100 to 2000 ["accepted by Chevrolet and is now in line for production"], then a week later was told it was still at status 1100!
Seems like GM marketing did their job getting us interested enough to buy the Z51 package, but production is having start up issues for this very popular package. I will not change my order to the non-Z51 base Vette vert, and truthfully, getting the car delivered in December-March Minnesota winter is not what I need.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

It is possible that this rumor was started to increase the order rate of non-Z51 cars. It appears to be working.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe "one year" either! This is a big deal and if it's a vendor issue the problem will be fixed....sooner than later! IMO.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Bandit's Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with the dealership that I ordered my Z51 vert with. According to the sales manager from the update he received from GM yesterday, Z51 constraint was only for 3-4 weeks and the vert is on track to be in production late November/early December.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeC4C5C6...C7
I didn't "need" a Z51 but I ordered it for two principal reasons--the wheels are much better looking than the standard wheels IMO and the Magnetic Ride Control is not offered on the standard model. I had MSRC on my C6 and didn't want to go backwards technologically.

Assuming that these two items are not the reasons for the Z51 constraints, GM could make the standard model more attractive if they offered one or both of these as separate options on the non-Z51 coupe.
I'll bet you don't "need" a Corvette at all. Nobody buys Corvettes for practical reasons. We buy them for emotional reasons. What would folks be saying if they put the LT1 engine on constraint but not to worry, they have a bunch of LS2 and LS3's sitting around that they'll put in them until production of the LT1 picks up again?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
I agree.

It's really quite simple, if they cap the entire year's Z51 production to what's either already delivered or in the pipeline then the 2014 launch is a massive failure IMHO. Chevy builds cars people want and with JIT manufacturing they just need about 45 days to re-jigger supplier deliveries to meet the pipeline which is what I suspect they are doing.

For Christ sake, it's October 2013, the car has been in production all of 8 weeks and they have only built 1/4 of the cars they plan and someone prints you may have to wait till the 2015 model year for a Z51!

Do the math, if they were figuring a 35% take rate over the course of the year that's still 12,250 Z51's. At the time this article was written then had barely produced 3000 cars and had booked orders for maybe another 3000. That means 6000 cars with a 75% take rate = 4500 cars. Had their initial prediction been accurate they only expected to build 2100 so it's not surprising that by the time they hit VIN 3000 all the parts were used up.

Another thing, look around at published constrained posted by dealers. Each one has the constraint and the estimated duration. Z51 was listed as <4 weeks, that was on last week's report.

Expect Z51's to start popping back up on allocation by Nov 1st but there will probably only be a limited number, perhaps 25% of the total week's allocation. 2015 model year, yeah right......... That's right up there with my dealer telling me GM had 35000 C7's in the order books already.......

The constraint should moderate to around 30-35% in November or December. That said, it may stay at that level for the rest of the 2014 model year (MY).

Think about the other side of the equation. If Chevrolet forecasted 35% take rate on the Z51, that means they also forecasted 65% take rate on the base car. They must have a lot of parts for the base car backed up at BG and/or the supplier's warehouses. GM may have "must take" contracts with the base car parts suppliers as well. Even if they were able to ramp-up the Z51 parts supply they would need to deal with the over-stock of base parts. Depending on the terms of the procurement contracts this problem could exist through the end of the 2014 MY.

This all leads to the current situation: The plant needs to build more base cars and fewer Z51 cars. GM's short term solution is to constrain the Z51 and force dealers to order base cars. Longer term they may have to offer incentives on the base model or increase the price on the Z51.

Enthusiasts will wait for the Z51 to be available. Forcing more base cars into the market will put cars in showrooms and sell more to the general public.

This is a mess and the GM marketing and Supply Chain departments were clearly out of sync. Only time will tell if they can adjust and meet the demand for Z51; or if they continue to try to control the market by limiting Z51 supply and flooding the market with base models.

Oh to be a fly on the wall at the Corvette Management Team meetings…
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Divexxtreme
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Makes sense considering you are getting the car as a tweener. Would make sense for a LOT OF PEOPLE for a whole host of reasons particular to their situation.
I definitely want the car, but losing Z51 would be enough to push me towards a ZR1 instead. Hopefully we get more info soon. I'm impatient as they come when it comes to my cars!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default It wouldn't be the first time . . .

Originally Posted by jschindler
I'll bet you don't "need" a Corvette at all. Nobody buys Corvettes for practical reasons. We buy them for emotional reasons. What would folks be saying if they put the LT1 engine on constraint but not to worry, they have a bunch of LS2 and LS3's sitting around that they'll put in them until production of the LT1 picks up again?
Remember 1977, when the purchasers of Oldsmobiles thought they were buying an Olds Rocket V-8, only to discover it was a Chevy 350 V-8 when they went to change the oil filter and air filter? That put a stake through the heart of the Oldsmobile reputation, from which it never recovered. Thanks, GM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Remember 1977, when the purchasers of Oldsmobiles thought they were buying an Olds Rocket V-8, only to discover it was a Chevy 350 V-8 when they went to change the oil filter and air filter? That put a stake through the heart of the Oldsmobile reputation, from which it never recovered. Thanks, GM.
Yes, I remember it well. Funny thing is that the Chevy engine was probably the better engine anyway, but it would be like telling folks their Bentley has a VW (or maybe Audi) engine in it.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray Sam
I love the way you guys have somehow gotten yourselves all whipped into a frenzy and started canceling/changing orders based on an UNSUBSTANTIATED theory posted by someone who has no inside knowledge and is presenting assumptions as if they are fact. Get a grip, folks. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate you abandoning your preferred Z51 package because it will reduce my wait time. I just think it is silly how rumor gets embellished with assumptions that turn into "fact" on this forum within a single thread. It is just like watching a every time.
Your assumption is wrong in my case. I made my decision based on the information provided to me by my dealership. The z51 package offers a lot for the money but honestly I only ordered it for the wheels and spoiler. Crazy right! Instead of the z51 package I used that money to order a spoiler and wheels… problem solved.

Last edited by Eagle Ray 7; 10-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Could be that the constraint is orchestrated by GM to get the percentage of base cars higher, to help with overall fuel mileage goals.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Eagle Ray 7
Your assumption is wrong in my case. I made my decision based on the information provided to me by my dealership. The z51 package offers a lot for the money but honestly I only ordered it for the wheels and spoiler. Crazy right! Instead of the z51 package I used that money to order a spoiler and wheels… problem solved.
exactly my situation (except I got spoiler and returned it) - and I wanted the softest ride possible - new 19/20 wheels waiting for car to arrive

Last edited by Glen e; 10-15-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
Could be that the constraint is orchestrated by GM to get the percentage of base cars higher, to help with overall fuel mileage goals.
Fuel mileage won't be affected.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Orded my 3LT with Z51 from Rick on 9/23. Just went from 1100 with Z51 "hold" to 2000 yesterday. I think I saw where one other buyer with Rick did as well. Not sure when they will come off constraint but at least it looks like there is a weekly allocation that the big dealers are getting, although small,,,,,,,,,

At the end of the day it looks like the Z51 option delayed my order for 3 weeks, more then a fair trade off to get what I want!

Eric

Get notified of new replies

To This isn't good news...(Z51 Constraint issues)

Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
Fuel mileage won't be affected.
I assumed it would be since the Z51 has performance gear ratios. I just learned not to make assumptions
Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Have they ever come on here to report on previous version??? Seems like they are too proud to admit delays or major supplier issues. Being more transparent is a good thing nowadays with social media and word spreading alot faster then back in the stone age of the way gm's communication channels still seem to be stuck in.
Good luck getting an official response from anyone at GM right now. If there is an truth to the Z51 constraints, expect plausible denial from GM until the issue either goes away or it blows up in their face through negative news coverage. Then give them time to develop talking points and put together a communications plan that produces the spin to ease the minds of customers and investors.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
They have done that before. In the summer of 1997, they put the sport seats(weight) and the 3.15 performance axle on constraint for MPG reasons.

Quick Reply: This isn't good news...(Z51 Constraint issues)