Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Default ** C7 Reported issues and resolutions thread **

At the request of members, I am creating this thread for ACTUAL owners to post about ACTUAL problems. This will get all of the issues together in one location and allow other owners and would be owners to learn about the issues that owners are experiencing or discovering.

What's allowed:

Factual accounts of issues you encounter as a real owner of a real car. Provide as much detail and documentation as you are able to talk about the issue.

Factual accounts or updates regarding resolution of issues that you or your dealer provided to solve a problem with your Stingray. If you solve a problem and post a separate update, please edit your original post that it was resolved and refernce the post with the update if possible.

What's not allowed (This will be strictly enforced):

Anecdotal comments about first year models.
Comments about other model year Corvettes (even if they may relate to current equipment.)
Stories or issues you read about on other forums.
Posting about a problem "your friend" had with their car.
Posting that "your car is fine" or "I didn't have that problem."

The intent of this thread is to collect data and provide information for people who own a 2014 Corvette Stingray. Hopefully we will see both problems and resolutions and allow a place for folks to learn how to deal with issues that they encounter. If you can provide content information (equipment group, options, etc.) about your car that would be welcome. If you can provide photos of the issue or video of the behaviour, that would be welcome. If are willing to post your VIN number, that would be helpful so that others with VIN's in a nearby range can relate.

Let's see if we can keep this thread on topic and make it a useful place for new and would be owners to learn what is going on.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:27 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Reserved for future content.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

VIN #76
Non-Z51
Exposed CF roof, Arctic White, Base wheels, NPP exhaust, Black interior, 2LT package

CF ROOF PROBLEM:
Roof showed splotches in the clear coat that looked like a cross between hard water stains and adhesive bubbling. Dealer buffed out the roof and they went away, but dealer is ordering me a new roof panel anyway in case they weakened the UV protectant coating. Pictures in this post:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585165740-post57.html

BACK HATCH INNER TRIM PROBLEM:
Hot glue spills, metal deformation, peeling paint on the inside of the back hatch where the black plastic insert (that holds the glass) is attached to the metal of the hatch. Not visible from the exterior. Dealer sanded, filled, and painted. Not picture perfect, but good enough to accept delivery. Pictures in this post:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585165675-post78.html

USB MEDIA DEVICE SOMETIMES NOT RECOGNIZED:
USB memory stick with approximately 6000 songs and perhaps 40GB of content inserted in center console port. Usually plays fine. But occasionally upon starting the car, the audio display tells me that no media device is found. I cannot browse, skip, or pause the music that is still playing from the media device! Resolution is to turn off car and accessory power and then restart. Has happened twice so far. I have not reported it to dealer.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

VIN #106

Two minor issues were noticed during PDI that I am mentioning and will update with causes and remedies once fixed.

1. The pointed corner of the front left bumper cover next to the headlight keeps sticking out, possibly a defected or missing clip.
2. The center of the rear top fascia immediately under the spoiler light sticks out as well exposing the edge right below the light.

The dealer is going to remove both bumper covers and check for any issues with clips.

Last edited by zhopper05; 10-13-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:03 PM
OddJob1971
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Vin #2256
Z51, AW, NPP, MSRC, 7-Speed, 1LT group

Issue: Radio would randomly change channels. Radio would also not read my iPod from any USB port. When the iPod did read, it would skip thru the songs or the song playing. Also, AC would randomly come on by itself and change settings. The temp reading and level readings would also randomly disappear. Dealer spoke with Chevy engineering and discovered one of the controller modules was dead. Part was shipped from BG to dealer. No eta on arrival. Car has been at the dealer with half the dash torn a part since Thursday.

Original Problem 10/10: Car taken to dealer. After several attempts to identify problem, tech spoke with Chevy engineering. Problem identified as defect control module for A/C and Radio. Entire driver side and center console removed from car. No dealer has stock so part being shipped from BG plant.

Update 10/14: Apparently Chevy is in NO hurry to help me get my one week old car back on the road. Part identified as bad on 10/10. Still no ETA on when part will arrive. Hey Chevy, it's called overnight shipping!!

Update 10/15: Just spoke with dealer service dept. Part arrived. Did not fix the issue. Chevy is flying in an engineer who may be here by Thursday to try and figure out what the problem is. Oh and after he figures it out, I still have to wait for a freaking part to be shipped again from BG. I've owned the car for 12 days, been in in the service dept. for the last 5 of those 12 days.

Update 10/16: Just spoke with dealer service dept. Three engineers from Chevy showed up this morning to try and figure out what the issues are with my car. Should have an update later today.

Follow-up: Dealer just called and said engineers bypassed the radio and got everything to work. Appears the central control unit controls not just radio, nav, etc, but also the AC. New one being overnighted from BG and I should have my car back by end of day tom.

Update 10/17: No show on the part. Apparently issue was identified by 11am yesterday but no one ordered the damn part until 3, after the cut off for overnight shipping. Part MIGHT be here tom. Going on 8 days now at the dealership... I've owned the car for 14 days, been in the service shop for 8.... GM...UTTER FAILURE!!

Update 10/18: Radio unit replaced. All is well in the world

Last edited by OddJob1971; 10-18-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
DirectionalMan
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Homelink programming problem with Genie solved

Like many others, I also had seemingly unresolvable issues getting my Homelink control programmed until a very friendly lady with Genie helped me solve the problem.

Equipment involved:
*2014 Z51 Stingray with Homelink on sun visor
*Genie PowerMax 1200 garage door opener with Homelink support

I followed the instructions provided on the Homelink website with no success because the sun visor button would never flash rapidly. I also called their support number but could not actually speak to anyone because the only support available for vehicles built after 2003 is a computerized step-by-step walk through which has no way to actually solve a programming problem. I thought this was extremely poor on their part. I attempted programming with & without putting the remote into Intellicode 1 mode with no success either way.

After a few days of frustration I decided to give Genie a call with little hope of success because Homelink is not actually a Genie service. I was able to speak to an actual person , a very friendly and helpful young lady who said she would help me even though Homelink is not actually their service or product. After going through the same steps I did for the previous days without any success again; she asked me to pull the clip off the back of the Genie remote I was using in an attempt to program the sun visor button with and give her the numbers stamped onto it under the spot where the clip goes. After giving these to her she said; "Aw, there's the problem". The last numbers on my Genie are "2.0.3". She then told me she was going to send me a different remote to use in programming the Homelink in my C7 because the original Genie remote roles the Intellicode codes so fast that the sun visor button could not catch it.

So after a few days I got the promised remote (At no charge) and was able to program the sun visor Homelink on the first attempt!

The model number of the remote she sent me is "GITR-3".
Old 10-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

We'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread! Thank you for starting it. As always, if anybody would like our assistance in any way, we're only a private message away.

Sarah (Assisting Kelly)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 PM
rmarc7828
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vin 1537 z51 3LT. Tire Puncture.

At 210 miles the rr tire picked up a 2.5" long wheel balancing weight off the road at about 30 mph. When the weight rotated into the wheel well the weight was forced into the tire tread causing a large puncture. Wheel well was also damaged with two holes completely through.

Clearance between tire and wheel well is very small and I am concerned that those that are lowering their cars may actually be increasing the potential for this type of tire damage. Obviously I was unlucky to the tune of $425 for a new tire. Interested in hearing from others regarding this failure.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Durnberg
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

One minor problem. VIN 2039, 497 miles, 3LT, Z51, MSRC, NPP. Twice at night the backup camera did not come on and the screen went gray static looking. The first time, I tried the menu bottom and the screen went out, then I restarted the car and everything was fine. The second time, after it went gray, I waited for about 50-60 seconds and everything worked fine without a restart. Currently I feel no need to take the car in and will wait and see if this happens again (and I'll take picture). In fact, I am not even sure if this is worth posting about.

Last edited by Durnberg; 10-13-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added options
Old 10-13-2013, 10:13 PM
c7stingray
Cruising

Crystal red z51 3lt 620 miles

So I'm taking my c7 in tomorrow as the brakes squeal at low speeds when barely applying the brakes (15mph-0) I thought maybe brake dust or new brakes but this sounds like a bus. And worst it doesn't do it every single time so gonna have to recreate it for the dealer. Does it 8/10 times tho so shouldn't b a problem. Read around that it's common with ceramic brakes but def not acceptable on a 70k car. Will keep updated on solutions. Wish me luck!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 PM
mfitzge5
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmarc7828
Vin 1537 z51 3LT. Tire Puncture.

At 210 miles the rr tire picked up a 2.5" long wheel balancing weight off the road at about 30 mph. When the weight rotated into the wheel well the weight was forced into the tire tread causing a large puncture. Wheel well was also damaged with two holes completely through.

Clearance between tire and wheel well is very small and I am concerned that those that are lowering their cars may actually be increasing the potential for this type of tire damage. Obviously I was unlucky to the tune of $425 for a new tire. Interested in hearing from others regarding this failure.
I had a flat tire on my way home from picking up my car from the dealer; approximately 30 miles on it. Once I finally got it towed back to the dealer they said it had a bolt in it about 3/4" wide. Luckily I had purchased a Tire Road Hazard policy from my dealer, so I wasn't out any money.

I haven't looked at my wheel wells for holes but I will tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 AM
rmarc7828
Advanced

Originally Posted by mfitzge5
I had a flat tire on my way home from picking up my car from the dealer; approximately 30 miles on it. Once I finally got it towed back to the dealer they said it had a bolt in it about 3/4" wide. Luckily I had purchased a Tire Road Hazard policy from my dealer, so I wasn't out any money.

I haven't looked at my wheel wells for holes but I will tomorrow.
My incident made a loud clunk followed by a knock every revolution until I stopped. I never saw a thing in the roadway so I thought a suspension component let loose.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 AM
peetoom
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

VIN 2308, Z51, 2LT, Nav. Dash very hard to read when headlamps turn on.

Has there been any resolution to the problem?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 AM
JDLR
Intermediate

VIN 1139
Same problem as post #10. Anxious to what he finds out.

On the underside of my C7 about 12 inches behind the front bumper and spaced across the underside are 8 clips with threaded bolt holes with no bolts or fastners in them. Did dealer or PDI fail to install something????

Talon90, this is a great thread. You just started and it has already addressed 2 issues I am experiencing Thanks

Last edited by JDLR; 10-14-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Bat7Man
Racer

VIN 1719
Alignment problem where vehicle pulls to the right. Went to dealer and they realigned vehicle and still pulls to the right. Ordering new tires.
Also, while NPP engaged and going about 50mph while tach is around 2k RPS sounds like NPP shuts off. This is when system is set to always be open.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 AM
dalinone
Advanced

Default Npp

Originally Posted by Bat7Man
VIN 1719

Also, while NPP engaged and going about 50mph while tach is around 2k RPS sounds like NPP shuts off. This is when system is set to always be open.
VIN #1127.
My NPP does the same thing but at around 25 MPH. Didn't notice it until around 300 miles. The NPP is also in "open"; i.e. Active Sound Management is "off".
Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Litumup411
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

My Nav screen was completely out yesterday. Drove around a bit in the afternoon and brought it home. Last night started it up to bring it into the garage and the screen worked fine.

Get notified of new replies

To ** C7 Reported issues and resolutions thread **

Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 AM
bluedevil 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2014 vin#53 Premium Edition When in reverse and the camera is on, I can read a good portion of my license number. Both I and the dealer have looked for a adjustment, no joy. Am wondering if we are incorrect?
The following users liked this post:
17gs (01-26-2017)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

VIN #469
Z51, Mag Ride, NPP, Torch Red

Problem: Center touch screen Display flashes off and cuts out

Solution: Dealer replaced entire display. Most likely cause seems to be the switch at the top of the display that turns it on once it is all the way up. Because of the very quick and intermittant nature of the shut off, the display will often jump and become jumbled as it looses sync. Initially dealer was told to replace some kind of USB cable, but GM quickly changed their mind and sent a complete new center display unit. It has worked perfectly since replacement.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:16 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vin 1356 ...z51 2lt nav npp manual magride ...

Hatch closing issue...software bugs with with the following:auto memory recall does not seem to work properly as well as easy exit recall. Remote left in vehicle seem to chirp 3 times with car running and I get out of car with remote in my left pocket..... every time??....I will update here if I find anything else.

Last edited by vetehead; 10-14-2013 at 09:22 AM.