Sponsored by:

Entry and Exit Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Entry and Exit Question

I've read several people say they sit down then swing their legs into the car. How the heck do you do that without wacking your head on the roof?

I'm in good shape and pretty limber so I just stick my right leg in and slide down to the seat, but I'm concerned about the wear on the bolster. I decided to try the sit and spin method and can't figure out how to do it without a lot of effort to keep from hitting my head.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Tulsaeasyrider
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

No "sit and spin" for me either! Technique: Right foot in on left foot brace (on firewall), Right hand on steering wheel, left palm on door latch indent in car body, lower to sitting position, left leg in with slight right shift of body and right foot to the right. Very little wear on seat or bolster. Takes pressure off the left knee too.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:02 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
I've read several people say they sit down then swing their legs into the car. How the heck do you do that without wacking your head on the roof?

I'm in good shape and pretty limber so I just stick my right leg in and slide down to the seat, but I'm concerned about the wear on the bolster. I decided to try the sit and spin method and can't figure out how to do it without a lot of effort to keep from hitting my head.
I get in the same way, right leg first and swing around. Getting out I often will slide and put two legs out. I have my seat as far back and as high as it goes on exit. It drops down in the rear and forward when going into the drivers position. Do have watch my head especially when wearing a hat! Occasionally I miss!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 AM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Get yourself a stool. 18" or 2 ft high.

Now turn your back to the stool - bend at the waist - put your right hand on the stool and slow-ly sit down on the stool.

Now - pick your feet up and swing them to your right - place them down on the floor.

Complete this exercise 10 times until you can do it easily.

Now go out to your Corvette and do likewise.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

No problem, I am 6'2" and have never hit my head!
Easiest way for me to get in, especially with my bad left knee.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I am thinking that sitting down sideways and twisting in the seat will wear the seat bottom out faster than slight wear on the bolster.
I hold the steering wheel with left hand on the rocker panel and sit over and into the seat, then just pull my left leg in.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:06 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I think you just touched on the basic difference between young and/or limber vs. old and/or not so limber. I used to do the one foot in and slide down the back of the seat method years ago but now I use the sit and spin method out of necessity. As far as hitting my head, I just bend my head forward as far as necessary to duck under the top. Actually, as far as head hitting, I have more trouble getting into my Suburban than into the Corvette.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:31 PM
C7 Laguna Blue
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I think you just touched on the basic difference between young and/or limber vs. old and/or not so limber. I used to do the one foot in and slide down the back of the seat method years ago but now I use the sit and spin method out of necessity. As far as hitting my head, I just bend my head forward as far as necessary to duck under the top. .
Old 06-11-2015, 01:59 PM
duanepillar
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 Laguna Blue
Old 06-11-2015, 02:09 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I think you just touched on the basic difference between young and/or limber vs. old and/or not so limber. I used to do the one foot in and slide down the back of the seat method years ago but now I use the sit and spin method out of necessity.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:16 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

How are people getting in without whacking their right knee on the pointy part of the lower dash?? What a poor design! The passenger side has a completely different dash shape.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:09 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I'm 5'9". I get into mine just like I do every car.I go to the gym every day so I don't have any problems.I also have 3 flights of steps in my house.Can't tell ya the amount of times I use them every day.With A tall person I can see it being A problem.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I'm 5"11" and too fat plus I'm old. I never hit my head because I duck! I just open the door, set my butt inside, lean back with my elbow on the console and swing my legs & feet in, one at a time, all the time being aware that I need to duck my head until I'm inside. I get out the same way. I also used the same technique to get into my C5 & C6. Plus every other car and some trucks as well. Now what the heck is so hard about that?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:04 PM
KANUK
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After years of cars with quick release steering wheels, I now do the butt first and leg swing- BUT- for 30 bucks you can by a stingray logo towel (ebay-) which I leave on the driver seat for a slippery slide and no wear on the leather..
Old 06-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Tommyleo
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I just get in and out with a smile
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm 61, so not young. I guess reasonably limber for my age, but I'm no gymnast.

I've gotten in both ways, and have no issue with either. I normally put by right hand on the wheel, my right foot in the car on the floor board (not the dead pedal), and sort of shift sideways and drop down on the seat. Then pull my left leg up and in.

But I've also just sat down on the seat sideways, with both legs out the door, then lifted my legs and pivoted in. Never hit my head, just bend and lean forward (body forward - side of car) while sitting down.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I get in just like I did with the C4; right leg in, lever my body up while I hold the rear door sill area with left hand and lower my bottom onto the seat, lift left leg into the car. Works for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Entry and Exit Question

Quick Reply: Entry and Exit Question