Sponsored by:

An honest inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
So all the 427 convertibles have zero problems? I do not know how many times it has to be said that nothing is perfect. The only real problem is if the manufacture does not make the effort to fix the problem and that is not true. They even have "Kelly" on the forum to pick up on problems. Is that like they are not interested? Your approach is totally negative. You are only looking for problems with a corvette model you do not even own. I have a thread with totally satisfied owners. A far greater majority then the negative experiences.
The bottom line is you seem to be a crusader for what I do not know. You do not own a c7. Your not going to buy a c7 so your only purpose is to mess with C7 owners heads.

Lastly may I remind you the C6 427 vert you own has a reputation for dropping valves. That did not deter you from buying one. Why? Because you know GM will fix it.. I rest my case. I have better things to do then argue with a person on the C7 forum who is only here to cause trouble.
Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
You know Bill I'll take back all the nice things I said in Mikes thread of your delivery and in your thread "I have no problems with my new Stingray."

You're another one whose bombastic ways are exhausting, you take care and enjoy your car. I'm done engaging you from now on.
IMHO, you two are both adding good points to the debate. I think other forum members have a right to hear both sides as I can guarantee that there are many people on this forum who are not posting here who really do have questions about whether to buy a C7 now or wait a year or two. I'd prefer to see both of you stay engaged.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by jschindler
IMHO, you two are both adding good points to the debate. I think other forum members have a right to hear both sides as I can guarantee that there are many people on this forum who are not posting here who really do have questions about whether to buy a C7 now or wait a year or two. I'd prefer to see both of you stay engaged.
And the fact that as I type this, the thread has received over 6900 views should tell folks that, indeed, folks are interested. But I hope this thread wont go into the Guibo/Notch vs the rest of the world novel.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
So all the 427 convertibles have zero problems? I do not know how many times it has to be said that nothing is perfect. The only real problem is if the manufacture does not make the effort to fix the problem and that is not true. They even have "Kelly" on the forum to pick up on problems. Is that like they are not interested? Your approach is totally negative. You are only looking for problems with a corvette model you do not even own. I have a thread with totally satisfied owners. A far greater majority then the negative experiences.
The bottom line is you seem to be a crusader for what I do not know. You do not own a c7. Your not going to buy a c7 so your only purpose is to mess with C7 owners heads.

Lastly may I remind you the C6 427 vert you own has a reputation for dropping valves. That did not deter you from buying one. Why? Because you know GM will fix it.. I rest my case. I have better things to do then argue with a person on the C7 forum who is only here to cause trouble.
Bill, like you I can afford a new C7. I was here in 1999 reading about the problems people were having with their C5's and I was one of those posting my ongoing problems. Did GM listen. I think so.

In 2004/2005, I was here, reading about the problems people were having with their C6's. I was reading them with much interest.

Just like with the C7, I didn't like the styling of the C6 in 2004, and I was vocal about it. When GM offered the Z06, with it's new styling, I changed my mind about the C6, but I wanted to know how the Z06 and LS7 was going to hold up before spending $80K. GM made a bunch of engineering changes to the Z06 after it's introduction in 2005(2006 MY). I finally decided in 2008, that GM had the act together and purchased a new 2009 Z06 in July 2008.

Well, it doesn't appear that GM had all it's problems solved. I spent $4300 to correct(hopefully) that problem(dropping valves). Unfortunately I didn't hear about the problem when I started looking at Z06's as no one was reporting the problem on this forum.

I've been quite vocal of my dislike of the C7's styling, and I have been quite vocal of my like of the C7's powertrain. Will GM listen to me(and others)? Maybe so, maybe not. If they don't listen to my wants, then I won't buy(just like I didn't buy a base C6 when it came out) a C7. If they listen to me and make some changes to the C7's styling(as they did with the C6), then I just might buy a C7.

That doesn't mean that you made a wrong decision in buying a C7 and I'm not slamming you(or others) for making the decision to buy a C7. You bought a car that meets your wants, but I'm not buying(at this time) a car that doesn't meet my wants. But I do have the right to voice my dislikes in order to try to influence GM to make changes that I want.

After all that is said, hearing the negatives as well as the positives about the car, will help me make a decision if I want to write a check(in full) for a C7(after GM makes the changes I want to see).
Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

The problem is that some forget that we can agree to disagree, and no opinion is wrong in this case.

Dan points out that there are quality concerns with the C7, which is true, regardless of how many issues there are, others have the choice to buy the C7 if they so desire, regardless of the these known issues.

For me, I will proceed with my purchase and will have my dealer fix any issues if they arise. If Dan and others decide not to buy a C7 now or ever because of what we've seen in this thread and in others, that's their choice, and I respect that

In the end, if everyone would not take anything said here personally, the conversation can be civil with both sides fairly and respectfully represented.

Simple concept
Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I will never understand why people would come onto a thread and suggest it needs to be shut down. Note to those of you doing it...you do know that you don't have to open a thread that you don't like anymore, don't you? ....
When a bulk of the thread's posts have nothing at all to do with the OP's original questions and requests for discussion, I can see why many think the thread is now worthless.

cor08vette gave the perfect solution to the thread without closing it: Quit posting. Since then, there have been 10 additional posts as I started to type this, none having any bearing on the original topic! In fact, after the first two pages or so, there has been little stated that is new, just the same guys, whether pro or con, body jabbing each other with the same comments. I'm guilty also.

I'll stop now, and unless new issues from C7 owners are posted (and there is a better sticky for that) I hope everyone else does also.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
99C5JA1
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Although no one should be willing to ignore or gloss over issues with any product, you have to take into account the nature of Internet feedback. People, as a rule, are less likely to report a good experience. Bad experiences have a much higher likelihood of being reported.

The fact is we have no statistics on how many C7's are in peoples hands and how many of those are experiencing problems or are trouble free. Looking to an Internet forum for some sort of yardstick is not going to produce any meaningful insight into the overall picture. Still there's certainly merit to reporting issues and solutions.

Dealerships are staffed by people. Some are good at what they do and some aren't, just like anything else. Modern cars are very complex and their job is getting increasingly difficult. They deserve the chance to fix these issues without an assumption of failure before they even start (and I realize not everyone is doing that). The issue may actually be fixed correctly and the car trouble free. The assumption that a fix will be sub-par and introduce other issues is simply negativity feeding on itself.

My own impression on seeing a C7 in person was that the quality of the car from an interior and exterior perspective has been greatly improved. I don't own one and have yet to drive one. But I am approaching the car with optimism based on the reviews in various publications and the owner experiences reported here. In another 6 months to a year, we'll probably have a good idea of just how well GM has done with initial quality and servicing of the issues that have occurred (and how pervasive they really are).
Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim and ByBy, you guys have made some very objective and non partisan posts throughout his thread, and Joe just added some well respected comments as well.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

IMO there are way too many with thin skins on C7 general. Everybody can have an opinion and that should be respected. Its how you disagree thats important.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1
Although no one should be willing to ignore or gloss over issues with any product, you have to take into account the nature of Internet feedback. People, as a rule, are less likely to report a good experience. Bad experiences have a much higher likelihood of being reported.

The fact is we have no statistics on how many C7's are in peoples hands and how many of those are experiencing problems or are trouble free. Looking to an Internet forum for some sort of yardstick is not going to produce any meaningful insight into the overall picture. Still there's certainly merit to reporting issues and solutions.

Dealerships are staffed by people. Some are good at what they do and some aren't, just like anything else. Modern cars are very complex and their job is getting increasingly difficult. They deserve the chance to fix these issues without an assumption of failure before they even start (and I realize not everyone is doing that). The issue may actually be fixed correctly and the car trouble free. The assumption that a fix will be sub-par and introduce other issues is simply negativity feeding on itself.

My own impression on seeing a C7 in person was that the quality of the car from an interior and exterior perspective has been greatly improved. I don't own one and have yet to drive one. But I am approaching the car with optimism based on the reviews in various publications and the owner experiences reported here. In another 6 months to a year, we'll probably have a good idea of just how well GM has done with initial quality and servicing of the issues that have occurred (and how pervasive they really are).
While I agree with most of your post, remember that if the car is delivered with all it's parts and they are functioning as intended, then there is no need to have a dealer work on it. If a dealer doesn't work on the car, then there is less chance that the dealer can do more damage.

In my case, my C5 had to go into the shop at 380 miles and four days old. Ten days later, I got it back, but with a busted front fender, thanks to the tech working on my car. If I hadn't had the problem to start with, then the tech would have never had the opportunity to damage my car. Yes, the car was repaired under warranty, but the dealer also included a damaged front fender, at no additional cost to me. Should I have thanked them?

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

That's a good point Joe. I remember when my 2002 Viper had a rear main leak at 200 miles, a relatively simple repair and the shop that did it I would trust with the Hope diamond.

In the end though when a car gets quasi disassembled it doesn't fell the same. Now some of that may be pyschological but also it can be quite factual. It could be one silly belly pan bolt that was left out and all of a sudden you have a slight vibration.

The two fellows who have had their dash boards removed are way more patient than I would be, I have high hopes that their cars are put back together perfectly and have no further issues.

To Joes point, a tech may get a little grease on the seat or scuff the sill, even though these things are easily fixable it's the snowball effect that leaves a bad taste.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
While I agree with most of your post, remember that if the car is delivered with all it's parts and they are functioning as intended, then there is no need to have a dealer work on it. If a dealer doesn't work on the car, then there is less chance that the dealer can do more damage.

In my case, my C5 had to go into the shop at 380 miles and four days old. Ten days later, I got it back, but with a busted front fender, thanks to the tech working on my car. If I hadn't had the problem to start with, then the tech would have never had the opportunity to damage my car. Yes, the car was repaired under warranty, but the dealer also included a damaged front fender, at no additional cost to me. Should I have thanked them?
I have often heard people say that once you buy a new car never take it back to the dealer. I can understand that philosophy especially with a high tech car like the C7. If you have a fantastic service department at your dealer you are really very lucky.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:52 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Bill, like you I can afford a new C7. I was here in 1999 reading about the problems people were having with their C5's and I was one of those posting my ongoing problems. Did GM listen. I think so..
Really, After seven years of the C5 they still had rocking seat issues, Column lock issues, leaking rear axle seals, power window motor failures, fuel crossover pipe failures, gap in center radio surround in upper right corner, door panel skins delaminating etc. They had 7 freaking years to correct these issues and they ignored them. I have a 2004 and had some of the same issues as the 97's had. No excuse for that.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

I'm not saying the car should not be fully working when delivered. I'm not excusing dealer incompetence. I'm saying that the outcome, if something does need to be addressed, is not always negative. Discussions like this tend to focus on the negative results to the point where it ends up in a downward spiral where all problems only result in more issues or a perception the car will "never be the same". It's a machine and it can be fixed. Those folks with their dashes torn apart may receive a car back that functions perfectly. We'll have to wait and see.

I've only had my C5 at the dealer once. It came back fine. I have 3 close friends with C5's who've not really had any issues to speak of. Doesn't mean there aren't problems or Dealerships don't cause problems. But it also illustrates that not every car is problematic and not every dealer visit ends in disaster.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by craig04c5
Really, After seven years of the C5 they still had rocking seat issues, Column lock issues, leaking rear axle seals, power window motor failures, fuel crossover pipe failures, gap in center radio surround in upper right corner, door panel skins delaminating etc. They had 7 freaking years to correct these issues and they ignored them. I have a 2004 and had some of the same issues as the 97's had. No excuse for that.
Then you don't believe that GM addressed those problems when they were designing the C6. I agree that GM didn't want to spend the money to correct many of the C5's faults during the C5's run, but elected to address them with the C6.

I think they have taken the same attitude with the C6's faults and addressed them with the C7. And they will address many of the C7's faults with the design of the C8. Such is life.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-16-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 99C5JA1
I'm not saying the car should not be fully working when delivered. I'm not excusing dealer incompetence. I'm saying that the outcome, if something does need to be addressed, is not always negative. Discussions like this tend to focus on the negative results to the point where it ends up in a downward spiral where all problems only result in more issues or a perception the car will "never be the same". It's a machine and it can be fixed. Those folks with their dashes torn apart may receive a car back that functions perfectly. We'll have to wait and see.

I've only had my C5 at the dealer once. It came back fine. I have 3 close friends with C5's who've not really had any issues to speak of. Doesn't mean there aren't problems or Dealerships don't cause problems. But it also illustrates that not every car is problematic and not every dealer visit ends in disaster.
Have you not read the reports of dealers screwing up a simple oil change on the dry sump C6's.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

That's a good point Joe. I remember when my 2002 Viper had a rear main leak at 200 miles, a relatively simple repair and the shop that did it I would trust with the Hope diamond.

In the end though when a car gets quasi disassembled it doesn't fell the same. Now some of that may be pyschological but also it can be quite factual. It could be one silly belly pan bolt that was left out and all of a sudden you have a slight vibration.

The two fellows who have had their dash boards removed are way more patient than I would be, I have high hopes that their cars are put back together perfectly and have no further issues.

To Joes point, a tech may get a little grease on the seat or scuff the sill, even though these things are easily fixable it's the snowball effect that leaves a bad taste.
I truly hope they get these issues corrected before the Hipo models come out....I am chomping at the bit for the Widebody (rear end and all....I know, I know...) but these release issues are unsettling regardless of how many or few there have been.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM
99C5JA1
Pro

Have you not read the reports of dealers screwing up a simple oil change on the dry sump C6's.
I don't doubt for a minute that happens. I'm not minimizing or trying to sweep dealer incompetence under the rug. I'm simply saying that rather than immediately assuming the worst, we actually wait and see how the problems are resolved. There's a tendency to focus on the negative and let that become the pervasive sentiment. I'm as curious as anyone to see how the early C7's end up since I'm interested in eventually buying one.

Get notified of new replies

To An honest inquiry

Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 PM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Overall, I think if you want a 1st year production vehicle of any kind there will be issues that will take time to resolve and it's generally more costly/risky than waiting another year or two. Are there more or less problems than with other Vette models? We really can't tell for sure just reading a handful of complaint posts here and there. GM has all the definitive data somewhere, but it's not like we'll ever get our hands on it.

Reminds me of when I first bought my C6 and I figured I'd have my local GM shop (Bical Chevrolet of Valley Stream, NY) do the oil changes on my LS2 Vette so that it would be done right. Long story short, they OVERFILLED the oil by an entire QUART! I noticed this immediately on the paperwork and brought it to the service persons attention and they were like, "Uh, I dunno... I'll get our Corvette Tech to come speak with you". Long story short he swore everything was correct, and that he could even put yet ANOTHER QUART OF OIL in with no problems! UGH! I do my own oil changes now and when I needed to go to the dealership, I found a reputable one (albeit, 45 minutes away, but it's SO WORTH IT!).
Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 PM
C7Kevin
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me start by simply saying please DO NOT take this in any way as a slight against the C7, it is more about GM and their lack of quality control.

I really have no idea what the % of new owners are posters/members here on the forum but it is unreal how many complaints and issues have been posted in a few week period. My point is if we are reading just what is posted here I wonder how many other dissatisfied new owners are out there.

I completely understand that things do happen when a product is mass produced but the amount of problems that have been stated are just staggering. I won't get into the specific issues I've read about but I will ask, why is the apparent build and quality process so seemingly inferior?

I have been with Acura for 21 years and I can tell you that I have never seen with our product paint peeling, parts missing, misalignment, unfilled fluids etc. not to mention the electronic and other issues some have posted here. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying we don't have problems too but we aren't selling iconic 60-70k sports cars, and what problems we do have pale in comparison.

Again this is not about the C7, it's about how disappointing the QC and refinement of the C7 is. For the guys who have a "perfect" car count your blessings, for the guys who are dealing with minor or major issues I hope you can see it through and your cars are also perfect soon.

Does anyone else think the amount of problems seem to be exorbitant? Lastly this is a thread about opinions of people who post here whether they have a 7 or not, please do not turn it into anything else!
It's only one man's opinion, but my experience has been that forums tend to bring the naysayers out of the woodwork.
I think that it's also the case that, too many times, those who complain on forums are simply the "vocal minority". And then there's the type who complain about free beer not being cold enough. After all is said and done, the C7 provides an exquisite driving experience which becomes all the more obvious when one drives other cars.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

Moderators: please close this thread. It's life has run its course.

Quick Reply: An honest inquiry