Sponsored by:

Drive Mode / NPP Modes Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Drive Mode / NPP Modes Question.

So Track says they would be open all the time? When I have it in Track it actually closes it at lower RPM?

Also: "When the engine sound enhancement is turned Off via the personalization menu, the exhaust tailpipe valves will be put into track mode no matter which vehicle mode (Weather/Eco, Tour, Sport, or Track) is displayed on the drivers instrument panel."

When I put it to off it acts no different?

Second question. It's probably in the owners manual but...

Is the car supposed to save the last drive mode for the next time you start the car? For example if I have it in Sport, should it stay in Sport?

Mine always goes back to Tour.

Found this on another post:
Exhaust Tailpipe Flow Control Valve System — RPO NPP

The exhaust tailpipe flow control system is used to tune the exhaust note for high performance vehicles. This vehicle is equipped with two tailpipe exhaust valves. One in the left tailpipe and one in the right tailpipe. Each exhaust tailpipe valve is installed in the low restriction exhaust path of a dual outlet muffler, near the exhaust tip.
When a tailpipe exhaust valve is open, the low restriction exhaust path is opened to the atmosphere, and the exhaust note becomes more aggressive.
An output circuit from the chassis control module is used to control the actuator that opens the left and right exhaust tailpipe valves. The exhaust flow control valve opens and closes when the chassis control module commands the actuator by pulse width modulation of the control signal.
To provide a more aggressive exhaust note when the vehicle is started, the exhaust tailpipe valves are opened during an engine crank event during specific modes of operation if that option is available. Once the engine is running, accelerator pedal position, transmission gear and engine speed are used to determine the commanded state (open or closed) of the exhaust tailpipe valves.
There are four specific exhaust performance modes that result in different behavior of the exhaust tailpipe valves. These modes are:
• Weather/Eco Mode: Exhaust tailpipe valves will be closed at all times when the engine is running.
• Tour Mode: Exhaust tailpipe valves are closed when the engine is idling and during normal/non-aggressive driving. Valves open during aggressive driving.
• Sport Mode: Exhaust tailpipe valves are open when the engine is idling and during most driving scenarios.
• Track Mode: Exhaust tailpipe valves are open at all times.
It is possible to personalize the exhaust sound. Select the Driving Mode menu and the following will be displayed:
• Exhaust
• Steering
Select Exhaust. This controls how robust or quiet the engine will sound. Select:
• Auto
• Stealth
• City
• Tour
• Sport
• Track
• Off
When the engine sound enhancement is turned Off via the personalization menu, the exhaust tailpipe valves will be put into track mode no matter which vehicle mode (Weather/Eco, Tour, Sport, or Track) is displayed on the drivers instrument panel.

Last edited by runutzzzzz; 10-10-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No one else have this concern?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 474 Posts
Tech Contributor

what you quoted is what I put up from the sales manual, but owners have reported the final options are not avil to tweak, you just have off and auto. The NPP can be controlled from each mode to do what it says there, or can simple be locked open at all times. This what it should say:

There are four specific exhaust performance modes that result in different behavior of the exhaust tailpipe valves. These modes are:
• Weather/Eco Mode: Exhaust tailpipe valves will be closed at all times when the engine is running.
• Tour Mode: Exhaust tailpipe valves are closed when the engine is idling and during normal/non-aggressive driving. Valves open during aggressive driving.
• Sport Mode: Exhaust tailpipe valves are open when the engine is idling and during most driving scenarios.
It is possible to personalize the exhaust sound. Select the Driving Mode menu and the following will be displayed:
• Exhaust
• Steering
Select Exhaust. This controls how robust or quiet the engine will sound. Select:
• Auto
• Off
When the engine sound enhancement is turned Off via the personalization menu, the exhaust tailpipe valves will be put into track mode no matter which vehicle mode (Weather/Eco, Tour, Sport, or Track) is displayed on the drivers instrument panel.

Perhaps Talon can confirm/verify.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

They're out driving their new C7's listening to the exciting sound of the engine/exhaust ................
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Glen e
what you quoted is what I put up from the sales manual, but owners have reported the final options are not avil to tweak, you just have off and auto. The NPP can be controlled from each mode to do what it says there, or can simple be locked open at all times. This what it should say:

• Exhaust
• Steering
• Auto
• Off

Perhaps Talon can confirm/verify.
That's definitely not the case on my car. When in "OFF" mode the valves still close. I would like to keep them open at all times. It's odd because it says in Track the valves are always open which is not true on my car.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 PM
JW-C7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
That's definitely not the case on my car. When in "OFF" mode the valves still close. I would like to keep them open at all times. It's odd because it says in Track the valves are always open which is not true on my car.
Mine does the same thing, with the NPP in the off position I still will have the valves closed until about half way into rapid acceleration when I hear it open. It's upsetting that the sound kicks in once you're rolling.

It's been a while since this post, does anyone have an update on this concern?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:50 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

My 2014 coupe/manual trans has to be reset to "track" every time I drive the car. Must be a default thing. My exhaust stays on loud though.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:35 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JW-C7
Mine does the same thing, with the NPP in the off position I still will have the valves closed until about half way into rapid acceleration when I hear it open. It's upsetting that the sound kicks in once you're rolling.

It's been a while since this post, does anyone have an update on this concern?
Same with my late build 2014, I can hear them close. I have Sound Option set to OFF and even in Sport/Track they will close at light throtle like when cruising on city streets.

I take off from a stop and you can hear the exhaust but around 35 MPH or so with light throttle they close.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES can I get mine to STAY OPEN.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 AM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I use sport mode most of the time but yesterday I was on some smooth roads for once and I played around with track mode for the first time. There was actually an annoying "drone" from the exhaust when just cruising that I don't get in sport mode. (Z51 7sp). Not sure what the difference is as far as valves closing/staying open between sport and track.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Very interesting questions. I know I almost always stay in Sport and when I start my car it starts in Sport. I do know the manual says the "default" mode is Touring but I have no idea why mine stays in Sport. But I'm happy it does.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 474 Posts
Tech Contributor

If you turn off in sport, it starts back up in sport, every other mode defaults to tour on start up

From the way i recall it....
Old 10-21-2014, 11:38 AM
JW-C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Same with my late build 2014, I can hear them close. I have Sound Option set to OFF and even in Sport/Track they will close at light throtle like when cruising on city streets.

I take off from a stop and you can hear the exhaust but around 35 MPH or so with light throttle they close.

So we are in the same boat here... We need some GM intervention here, I think there is some glitches here from when they shortened the options in the NPP, it's either ON of OFF in the menu now, originally there were going to be 5-6 options.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:51 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Glen e
If you turn off in sport, it starts back up in sport, every other mode defaults to tour on start up

From the way i recall it....
So in essence. If you like your mode you can keep your mode?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Default Track mode...

Mine quiets down in track mode at lower RPM's. As for return settings, if I leave it in Sport it stays in Sport when I restart the car. In fact, it stays in whatever mode you left it in.....except Track. My guess is, for safety reasons, GM doesn't want people to drive in Track mode all the time. If I leave it in Track it restarts in Tour mode.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by RottenII
I use sport mode most of the time but yesterday I was on some smooth roads for once and I played around with track mode for the first time. There was actually an annoying "drone" from the exhaust when just cruising that I don't get in sport mode. (Z51 7sp). Not sure what the difference is as far as valves closing/staying open between sport and track.
I noticed it too...struck me as odd...only in Track mode. I'm not a fan of the stiffened steering response in Track mode...feels like manual steering. But driving straight ahead on new asphalt roads around town is priceless!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:04 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

This has been answered extensively .......

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-result.html
Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 PM
JW-C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
This has been answered extensively .......

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-result.html
Thanks very much for this link - I am going to pull fuse 41 and see how it sounds.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 PM
stevebullard
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE

Pull the fuse for them

Get notified of new replies

To Drive Mode / NPP Modes Question.

Quick Reply: Drive Mode / NPP Modes Question.