Sponsored by:

is the nav worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Default is the nav worth it???

so what are the reviews of the nav system?? worth the extra $$ or not??

hard to justify with how well the new systems are on phones etc...
Old 10-09-2013, 01:41 AM
DFW_C7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
so what are the reviews of the nav system?? worth the extra $$ or not??

hard to justify with how well the new systems are on phones etc...
I added it to my 2LT and IMO totally worth it if only for the integration with HUD.

I tried it out driving home from the dealer and it worked flawlessly - about a mile before each turn it will give you voice prompts and show visual indicators of the turn on the HUD. After each turn the HUD returns to normal until you approach the next turn.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:43 AM
illiceman11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No

Nav is better but still way off.I am sorry I just got it.If you want nav go to Garmin.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I have it on my car but have yet to use it.

For $800 that's nothing on a $52K+ car. Integration into the HUD as well as sending the directions from your computer, OnStar or even your phone is also a plus.

I myself am a very visual type person. I need to "see" where I am going not just verbal. Ever try looking at your phone in your cup holder in moving traffic?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:19 AM
hifi875
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by illiceman11
Nav is better but still way off.I am sorry I just got it.If you want nav go to Garmin.
If you want a dorky looking portable nav on your windshield that's hard to use then yea don't get the nav. Lmao
Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

some car co. is going to take the "hit" and offer nav and some kind of free updates. at this point that may be one of the downsides of owning/buying one where the portables all offer units w. free updates. other than that, I'm sure each gen of in-car nav gets better.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Here are some of my impressions of the Nav unit:

1) The integration is definitely the key selling point. You can have turns in three different places, individually or concurrently... Center console, driver gauge cluster, HUD. The tight integration means it knows when to cut voice prompts (for phone calls for instance) or reappear at critical times when other info is displayed (when approaching a turn for instance). Being able to use the voice prompts is nice as well. And if you use OnStar for help in finding something, they just download the routing directly into the Nav unit, which is really sweet.

2) The system shows lane guidance when approaching a freeway offramp or interchange that is in its database. I found the display of the detailed lane guidance to be a bit short duration and last-minute, but there might be a way to override this.

3) I have found some features to be non-intuitive and difficult to access or use in practice. Some of this is learning curve unfamiliarity and I'm willing to take the blame. Others really should be much easier and have been implemented better by dedicated providers like Garmin. The manual is not as clear as I feel it should be.

4) I haven't found an easy way to single-click your HOME location and mark it for later reference. I had to create a fake contact name to set it up in my database. I like having access to an easy one-click "Go Home" as a feature on a new Nav system.

5) I haven't figured out detour/re-routing properly yet. The manual makes it seem like this is only available for avoiding sections of freeway, which wouldn't be very inclusive of problems in city traffic/construction! Hope I'm wrong and just don't understand it.

6) I got a long rerouting on a trip to avoid construction. But I couldn't figure out where the construction had been or how to override the calculated route.

7) I entered a POI by name ("Panera Bread") and it showed me two locations 60 and 70 miles away, but not the one 2 miles away. I asked the store manager and he said they had been open for 5 years. Whazzup with the database? OnStar had it in their database and downloaded the route to my system.

8) On road trips, I often route to a city rather than an address. On dedicated systems there is usually a way to do this, where it just takes you to the city center. Couldn't find this in the Stingray Nav. I had to enter an address. This really annoys me.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
kirbsc
Racer

My Corvette is a 3LT but I haven't used my NAV yet, still using my Samsung Cell and Google Maps. Nice thing about the Google Maps is that there current and updates are free, they also give me turn by turn. Hope to use the NAV in the Vett to check it out and see on the On-Star works. NOTE - you can download the On-Star app to your Cell and it does work!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM
EZEZ
Intermediate

i haven't used or seen it personally but i feel the integration is the key piece. i would think many standalone GPSs like the garmins that you attach to your window will be old news quite soon with smartphones. the waze app is the way to go for me
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I have had no problems learning and using the C6 NAV, so I'm pretty sure that the C7 NAV will be easier, more intuitive, nicer graphics and the added feature of computer interfacing will rock!

Those that want to add a cheap stick on Garmin in the cockpit of a 70K car can go for it . I personally like having the extras built in to my car, even if I have to take a few hours to play with it and learn it.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I have had no problems learning and using the C6 NAV, so I'm pretty sure that the C7 NAV will be easier, more intuitive, nicer graphics and the added feature of computer interfacing will rock!

Those that want to add a cheap stick on Garmin in the cockpit of a 70K car can go for it . I personally like having the extras built in to my car, even if I have to take a few hours to play with it and learn it.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Jpiatchek
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default City routing

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Here are some of my impressions of the Nav unit:

1) The integration is definitely the key selling point. You can have turns in three different places, individually or concurrently... Center console, driver gauge cluster, HUD. The tight integration means it knows when to cut voice prompts (for phone calls for instance) or reappear at critical times when other info is displayed (when approaching a turn for instance). Being able to use the voice prompts is nice as well. And if you use OnStar for help in finding something, they just download the routing directly into the Nav unit, which is really sweet.

2) The system shows lane guidance when approaching a freeway offramp or interchange that is in its database. I found the display of the detailed lane guidance to be a bit short duration and last-minute, but there might be a way to override this.

3) I have found some features to be non-intuitive and difficult to access or use in practice. Some of this is learning curve unfamiliarity and I'm willing to take the blame. Others really should be much easier and have been implemented better by dedicated providers like Garmin. The manual is not as clear as I feel it should be.

4) I haven't found an easy way to single-click your HOME location and mark it for later reference. I had to create a fake contact name to set it up in my database. I like having access to an easy one-click "Go Home" as a feature on a new Nav system.

5) I haven't figured out detour/re-routing properly yet. The manual makes it seem like this is only available for avoiding sections of freeway, which wouldn't be very inclusive of problems in city traffic/construction! Hope I'm wrong and just don't understand it.

6) I got a long rerouting on a trip to avoid construction. But I couldn't figure out where the construction had been or how to override the calculated route.

7) I entered a POI by name ("Panera Bread") and it showed me two locations 60 and 70 miles away, but not the one 2 miles away. I asked the store manager and he said they had been open for 5 years. Whazzup with the database? OnStar had it in their database and downloaded the route to my system.

8) On road trips, I often route to a city rather than an address. On dedicated systems there is usually a way to do this, where it just takes you to the city center. Couldn't find this in the Stingray Nav. I had to enter an address. This really annoys me.
I believe the voice recognition will allow you to route to a city.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

In car telematics are slowly becoming obsolete. What will happen soon is the complete integration of no cost nav systems from your smartphone to the digitial displays in the car. This will become common in the next few years. I am surprised GM went with an in dash NAV system instead of supplying the API required for an external system to access the screens. The problem with the current system is that it will become obsolete just as soon as the one in the C6 did. I would not order NAV in a C7 for this very reason.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
some car co. is going to take the "hit" and offer nav and some kind of free updates. at this point that may be one of the downsides of owning/buying one where the portables all offer units w. free updates. other than that, I'm sure each gen of in-car nav gets better.
My Audi already has this. It uses Google maps, and map updates download to the car all the time, so you always have the latest changes that exist at Google.

It uses Google Earth, so you can navigate using the hybrid satellite views as well as street view (or using a standard map if you'd prefer). Hopefully more car manufacturers will partner with Google, it's a really great system with free real-time updates.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 AM
NAV
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I am surprised GM went with an in dash NAV system instead of supplying the API required for an external system to access the screens. The problem with the current system is that it will become obsolete just as soon as the one in the C6 did. I would not order NAV in a C7 for this very reason.
I agree. Does anyone know if the NAV in the C7 is software upgradeable so that something like this could be added later?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd get it.... I don't want to have to stick some gadget on my windshield in my $60k car.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Speednet
My Audi already has this. It uses Google maps, and map updates download to the car all the time, so you always have the latest changes that exist at Google.

It uses Google Earth, so you can navigate using the hybrid satellite views as well as street view (or using a standard map if you'd prefer). Hopefully more car manufacturers will partner with Google, it's a really great system with free real-time updates.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised (but I am, a little). I'm glad to read about this! Of course, it IS google which probably submits all info about Audi owner whereabouts to you-know-who.

Get notified of new replies

To is the nav worth it???

Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet

I totally agree this is the preferred approach. By far!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM
99Z51Coupe
Intermediate

I am on the fence with ordering the navigation system as well. Has anyone tried running the Google maps navigation on their iPhone and connecting through the USB port? I have Sync on another vehicle and the Google navigation integrates into the factory system fairly well. I was not a big fan of the navigation system on my C6 and always defaulted to my iPhone or iPad instead even with the integration. The HUD integration was nice, but entering destinations and route selection was not nearly as effective as other systems.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Jpiatchek
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Nav

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
In car telematics are slowly becoming obsolete. What will happen soon is the complete integration of no cost nav systems from your smartphone to the digitial displays in the car. This will become common in the next few years. I am surprised GM went with an in dash NAV system instead of supplying the API required for an external system to access the screens. The problem with the current system is that it will become obsolete just as soon as the one in the C6 did. I would not order NAV in a C7 for this very reason.
Some of us older Corvette owners are slowly becoming obsolete and don't care to integrate smart phones or may not have a smart phone. LOL

Quick Reply: is the nav worth it???