Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 886 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Default GM Issues Warning About Use of Summer Tires In Winter

See link about info. Dealers have been getting C7s and Z28s off the trucks with ruined tires.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...in-winter.html
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

This issue has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and others. GM has reported this problem, as have owner. They are still putting the same tires on the cars. I'd say, if you car is delivered during cold weather, have the tires checked before taking delivery.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post, thanks
Old 03-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Why is this the first I'm hearing about the issue?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Why is this the first I'm hearing about the issue?
Because you've been on a six month vacation in Hawaii and really didn't care?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 AM
brokaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I smell lawsuit here...GM
should not be delivering vehicles in cold climates w/tires subject to failure in temps below 40 degrees...corporate greed at its finest...stay tuned...this is going to get interesting.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 481 Posts
Tech Contributor

lawsuit?

I doubt that.......they told you about it and that's all they have to do. But if this is such a big problem ask yourself why the lawyers that advise the NCM are still letting deliveries go out in cold weather, no problem?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:38 AM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by brokaw
should not be delivering vehicles in cold climates w/tires subject to failure in temps below 40 degrees...corporate greed at its finest...stay tuned...this is going to get interesting.
No Lawsuits..........see caution note , page 10-50 in the owners manual. However, it would have been nice to have had AS tires as an option for the vehicle when ordering
Old 03-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by brokaw
And this is why we can't have nice things........ consumers that just don't get it and then want to blame/sue everyone for their own lack of education.

It's a performance car and well documented by GM that they are summer tires. Nothing is being hidden or covered up. Not even sure what basis you would have for a lawsuit as ignorance is not an excuse.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:46 AM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

And this is why we can't have nice things........ consumers that just don't get it and then want to blame/sue everyone for their own lack of education.

It's a performance car and well documented by GM that they are summer tires. Nothing is being hidden or covered up. Not even sure what basis you would have for a lawsuit as ignorance is not an excuse.

I spent a year educating myself before buying my Vette. This site has so many knowledgable people. I can't thank everyone enough
Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

So how does GM protect the tires during shipping and do they instruct their dealers to ONLY store newly delivered Stingrays inside in a climate controlled environment?

Seems to me the car is compromised even before the owner drives it off the lot.

GM can't have it both ways.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:11 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
So how does GM protect the tires during shipping and do they instruct their dealers to ONLY store newly delivered Stingrays inside in a climate controlled environment?

The tires are compromised before they even leave the lot at BG!! And then transported via truck in the cold weather. Not to mention the horrible delays by rail. Here, a local dealer has had 3 C7s sitting outside since early December. I can only imagine what the tires are like.

I believe GM is responsible.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:16 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Sure they can (unfortunately)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:23 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

If you can't drive the car at low temps without compromising the tires, then GM and the dealer can't drive it on and off rail cars and truck transporters. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen if some owner experiences a catastrophic tire failure, which might result from damage during shipping even if the owner himself never drove it in low temperatures.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

If I were a new Stingray owner awaiting delivery I'd be monitoring the weather at BG and along it's shipping route, then contact the dealer to find out what their "cold weather" procedures are.

If your car was exposed to COLD temps and you can't be sure it was properly handled I'd insist on NEW tires and point them to GM published announcements.

Tom
Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

In the winter (in cold regions), tires should be installed at delivery. They should just ship the car with "placeholder" tires.

I think in Europe you have to ship a car with winter or all-season tires in the winter.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

If I were a new Stingray owner awaiting delivery I'd be monitoring the weather at BG and along it's shipping route, then contact the dealer to find out what their "cold weather" procedures are.

If your car was exposed to COLD temps and you can't be sure it was properly handled I'd insist on NEW tires and point them to GM published announcements.

Tom
In what world do you actually believe the dealership will put on new tires for you just because the car was built when it was cold outside?

Get notified of new replies

To GM Issues Warning About Use of Summer Tires In Winter

Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Never in the history of a forum has this smiley fit so perfectly:
Old 03-02-2015, 11:02 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
In what world do you actually believe the dealership will put on new tires for you just because the car was built when it was cold outside?
Per GM's bulletin (with photos), look for cracks on the tread. Mine was built during the great freeze of TPW 02/16/15 and shipped to the big freeze in Spring Hill TN. I'm still awaiting delivery. My plan is to put the car up on the lift for a good look at the treads a part of my pre-purchase inspection. Not too complicated.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:18 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Originally Posted by BIC
Per GM's bulletin (with photos), look for cracks on the tread. Mine was built during the great freeze of TPW 02/16/15 and shipped to the big freeze in Spring Hill TN. I'm still awaiting delivery. My plan is to put the car up on the lift for a good look at the treads a part of my pre-purchase inspection. Not too complicated.
Correct, if there are cracks, the company will replace the tire(s), but if there aren't, you're not going to simply get a replacement.

Quick Reply: GM Issues Warning About Use of Summer Tires In Winter