C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Corvette Rear Bumper w/Round taillights - Our first shot, are we on right track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Round lights? I don't think so- I thought this ridiculous issue would have gone away by now. Why try and copy the soft flabby and outdated look of a C6 rear on a C7? Those round lights look about as interesting as a pee hole in the snow. Not going to improve a thing IMO. C7's existence has already placed those in the garbage bin of obsolete parts with the pop ups, chrome bumpers and curb feelers
Old 10-08-2013, 01:54 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Can I just get ONE Corvette aftermarket company that has design ability please....

Supervettes....they're the only hope thus far...but where are these dudes? They're trying to build 20k complete kits vs small time stuff. Inevitably though, if someone made the investment and developed a rear bumper with some custom taillights as well, I do believe it'd sell. Taking a C6 bumper and making it fit a C7 though...absurd.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by TTRotary

Sin, I will challenge you here - please tell RPI how you think this piece could be improved to meet it's functional purpose, which is to provide the option of a different look? (Hint - answering with "don't make it" does not work).
Fair enough.

I think if you're going to improve something in the aftermarket, you take a step forward, not backward.

Do I love the tail lights of the C7? No. My issue is the vents actually. I think it's overly complicated looking and some of the detail lines don't match up. It's the reason I think the C7 looks best in darker colors as a lot of these issues vanish.

But, I don't think putting on either C6 tail lights or GT-r tail lights is a solution. It needs to be 1) more clever 2) won't depreciate the vehicle and 3) is more functional.

I personally would like the aftermarket to make a carbon fibre steering wheel that is more track focused and less busy looking. I think it would follow all three issues above very well if executed properly.

Last edited by Sin City; 10-08-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Yep, nailed it. Emotional confirmation bias. That certainly explains the near-hysteria. Maybe they're afraid they'll actually like the alternative and be tempted to pony up. Anyway, better get used to different versions of the C7 rear. The aftermarket is all over it and GM themselves are hinting that the rear of the hi-po models will be visually differentiated from base cars, as they have done before.
Kind of like the cognizant dissonance that many people who can't accept the change are suffering from when they want to believe the rest of the world don't like the change either?

I agree the hi-po cars will be a little different visually but it WON'T be from round tail lights.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hristo34
I think the OP design looks better, but as others have said, why spend all that money on a C7 and then more to change its looks? Makes more sense to buy a C6, unless you need the new techno gadgets in the interior.
Or the vastly improved interior or the improved performance... in addition to the new gadgets
Old 10-08-2013, 08:32 AM
chubbs6350
Burning Brakes

Received 830 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Kind of like the cognizant dissonance that many people who can't accept the change are suffering from when they want to believe the rest of the world don't like the change either?

I agree the hi-po cars will be a little different visually but it WON'T be from round tail lights.
I'm not sure what people don't understand, it's just ugly, it's not specifically the lights, the tail pipes, the diffuser, the whole shape, the vents... And so on... It's the whole thing put together, it doesn't look right at first glance does it, we'll it ain't gonna look right in 50 when people look back and think about either.
The rendering of the silver one on top of the page is actually pretty nice, the exhaust really cleaned things up, as much as they can be
Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

People also tried to force themsevles into liking the aztek too when they purchased it.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs6350
I'm not sure what people don't understand, it's just ugly, it's not specifically the lights, the tail pipes, the diffuser, the whole shape, the vents... And so on... It's the whole thing put together, it doesn't look right at first glance does it, we'll it ain't gonna look right in 50 when people look back and think about either.
Exactly. The whole effect is frowning Japanese anime.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd much rather see RPI working on the tail PIPES than the tail LIGHTS.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 AM
gthal
Safety Car

I'm not sure what people don't understand, it's just ugly, it's not specifically the lights, the tail pipes, the diffuser, the whole shape, the vents... And so on...
You are funny...

Yes, for you that is true... what you don't understand is that people don't generally agree with you

People: "I really like the C7 design"

Chubbs: "But you don't understand, it's ugly"

People: "Huh? I like it, sorry you don't"

Chubbs: "But wait!! You don't understand!! You can't like it because I don't!"

People: "Huh?"

Chubbs: "sigh... you just don't understand"

Just having some fun!

Last edited by gthal; 10-08-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

You are funny...

Yes, for you that is true... what you don't understand is that people don't generally agree with you
You must be the nominated spokesperson....the Jay Carney of the Unified Corvette fanboy party.

Seriously, There are just as many people who view it as negative than those who like it. Fortunately this is America and RPI is going to offer an alternative facia for those who want one.

Yea America!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The rendering of the silver one on top of the page is actually pretty nice, the exhaust really cleaned things up, as much as they can be
Originally Posted by T_Vert
People also tried to force themsevles into liking the aztek too when they purchased it.
Originally Posted by sprtplt
Exactly. The whole effect is frowning Japanese anime.
9 months of this nonsense and you guys persist? Get a life, boys, get a life!!!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sfc rick
You must be the nominated spokesperson....the Jay Carney of the Unified Corvette fanboy party.

Seriously, There are just as many people who view it as negative than those who like it. Fortunately this is America and RPI is going to offer an alternative facia for those who want one.

Yea America!
Here we go... again...

Show me the stats? We had polls ad nauseum a while back and they were not supporting your assertion. Show me one, just one, review of the C7 in the media where they don't love the design. Look at the reports of demand outstripping supply. Look at the reports of almost everyone who has seen it in person... I don't see where just as many don't like as those that do. P.S. I'm not a fanboy... I just respond to people who spend time hating on something in a venue where people aren't interested. Kind of like if I went to the C6 forum and started spouting off about what I hate about the car... that would be silly, don't you think?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Some won't like it and that's just fine. I responded to the comment that "people don't understand, it's ugly" because that is just a silly comment.

Last edited by gthal; 10-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

who said it's outdated??? The one thing about the corvette is round tail lights... It should have had them from the factory. Outdated, lol, yep, cause best selling sports car Porsche has no idea what they are doing...

I think that the C7 was copied from so many other cars, it's understandable that they didn't want the round lights, since it would look waaay too much like GTR from the rear... it already looks like a ferrari from the front. Interior is still crap (sorry, swing and a miss chevy), and OMG who approved that steering wheel!!!!!

What happened to american sports car??
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

Here we go... again...

Show me the stats? We had polls ad nauseum a while back and they were not supporting your assertion. Show me one, just one, review of the C7 in the media where they don't love the design. Look at the reports of demand outstripping supply. Look at the reports of almost everyone who has seen it in person... I don't see where just as many don't like as those that do. P.S. I'm not a fanboy... I just respond to people who spend time hating on something in a venue where people aren't interested. Kind of like if I went to the C6 forum and started spouting off about what I hate about the car... that would be silly, don't you think?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Some won't like it and that's just fine. I responded to the comment that "people don't understand, it's ugly" because that is just a silly comment.
was the poll in C7 section or C6 section? did you see the poll by car magazines? I know car and driver praised the C7 but they are paid by GM to do so. Most people will praise it, even if it was a complete turd, simply because it would be unamerican to do otherwise. You want to know what people around the world think:

"Chevy couldn't get their own design, had to steal from Ferrari"
"Oh look, new camaro... wait, no it's not"
"what is that on the buttom of front bumper?"
"Interior is not that much better"
"So many vents"
"m3 is better..... "

These are all the comments I heard at frankfuth autoshow, the 30 minutes i spent climbing around the vette. And yea, say it: who cares what europeans think. Here is my response: I want my american sports car to look like nothing else, I want it american, I want all to know it's a corvette! I don't want to be confused with ferrari.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kotik
was the poll in C7 section or C6 section? did you see the poll by car magazines? I know car and driver praised the C7 but they are paid by GM to do so. Most people will praise it, even if it was a complete turd, simply because it would be unamerican to do otherwise. You want to know what people around the world think:

"Chevy couldn't get their own design, had to steal from Ferrari"
"Oh look, new camaro... wait, no it's not"
"what is that on the buttom of front bumper?"
"Interior is not that much better"
"So many vents"
"m3 is better..... "

These are all the comments I heard at frankfuth autoshow, the 30 minutes i spent climbing around the vette. And yea, say it: who cares what europeans think. Here is my response: I want my american sports car to look like nothing else, I want it american, I want all to know it's a corvette! I don't want to be confused with ferrari.
You are right... the response to the C7 isn't positive and most people don't like it. I tap out...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 AM
scott1974
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Looks like they can't win. After about 5 million people said they hated the "Camaro" tail lights, now you try to offer them an alternative and everyone says it's a step backwards.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette Rear Bumper w/Round taillights - Our first shot, are we on right track?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it sucks that some guys use innuendo and in some cases just downright disrespect by criticizing RPI. They have been serving the Corvette community, other GM products as well as other mans. for years, some of you should show them a little courtesy, especially the blow hard no it alls!!! Not to mention they are a supporting vendor!!! GEEZ........
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Go figure....GM said the hell with it once its produced they will buy it..RPI could go the same route..I would keep it stock...just sayin
Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 AM
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, people like you, on here, and out there in the world, never cease to amaze me. The arrogance and 'God Factor are astounding.

I hate to break this to you "Chubby", but you are not the self-appointed authority on taste. Those of us that purchased a C7 clearly think it is an amazing car, so we agree to disagree.

We purchased the car being fine with our choices, the way it looks etc.
The majority of us, I'm guessing, will NOT be ripping off the rear end to install round lights. Like someone said,. if I wanted that, I'd buy a deeply discounted C-6.

So respect our choices as we respect yours. Otherwise.....We could give a damn

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette Rear Bumper w/Round taillights - Our first shot, are we on right track?