Sponsored by:

Brake fluid on garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:20 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl44
Taste it, like i said if its sweet its anti freeze . just touch it and touch you tong. wont kill you(i don't think) and you eliminates one option . carl
We all know antifreeze is poisonous and I wouldn't want to guess what the LD50 is. Not sure why we would want to try this in a world where we can take a picture of the fluid and post it here, or do an image search and compare it to pictures of different fluids that it could be.

We could even wait until after the service visit to see what the dealer says it is. I somehow don't think the service techs will taste it.

Heard at an airport, so it's a true story--our A&P said when he was in the Air Force, he was crew chief of a B-36 and he saw that one pilot when preflighting it would dab his finger in any fluid found on the ramp and taste it to figure out what it was. One day this pilot came in and said he had tasted a puddle of some different-looking fluid and couldn't identify it. The crew chief said that's where I took a whiz under the wing. This pilot immediately abandoned the taste test procedure.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 PM
yellowray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
Heard at an airport, so it's a true story--our A&P said when he was in the Air Force, he was crew chief of a B-36 and he saw that one pilot when preflighting it would dab his finger in any fluid found on the ramp and taste it to figure out what it was. One day this pilot came in and said he had tasted a puddle of some different-looking fluid and couldn't identify it. The crew chief said that's where I took a whiz under the wing. This pilot immediately abandoned the taste test procedure.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:26 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Nothing on the garage floor this morning. Drove it last night. Hopefully just a "burp" as some have suggested. Still going to take it to the dealer for a look-see.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 AM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe there was another car in your garage while you were gone and thats what left the oil?
I'm not trying to start something- but rule that out too
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by sotirisf
maybe there was another car in your garage while you were gone and thats what left the oil?
I'm not trying to start something- but rule that out too
private home. A 2014 Mercedes Benz E550 sedan is it's stable mate.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Newstingray
Instructor

I wouldn't do to much tasting its toxic. A friends dog died because he licked it off the driveway.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schilitj
Then your Mercedes is a Transformer!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the new steering system use PS fluid? Does the electric motor turn a fluid pump, or is it dry?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by schilitj
maybe the MB knew the C7 was coming into its "home," moved over, took a leak, and moved back.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Do they use power steering fluid on an electronic steering rack???
It's not an 'electronic' steering rack. It's just a normal rack-and-pinion system, but instead of hydraulic assist, it has an electric motor typically attached to the steering column, inside the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
Just googled electric power steering. several different kinds, some are electric over hydraulic, hydraulic pump driven by electric motor this type will have fluid.
Those 2 are one and the same. Basically, the hydraulic setup in most cars now, but the pump is driven by an electric motor, rather than the engine. And it's called 'ELECTRO-HYDRAULIC', not electric (or electro-mechanical, which sounds fancier ). This is the best system, but the most expensive, plus still has the possibility of leaks, so hardly anybody uses it. Almost everybody now uses the purely electric setup.
And yes, there's another version of electric power steering, which adds a clutch in the steering column between the electric motor and the rack, and it's called 'steer-by-wire' system. The clutch is a 'fail-safe' system in case the electronics fail. Have no freaking idea why Infiniti is using it in the new Q-series cars (all new Infiniti cars will be Q-something now). That system would be an immediate deal-breaker for me, but most buyers won't even know what they're buying . One more step to robotic driving, which I wish never witness . Hope this helps.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-07-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
It's not an 'electronic' steering rack. It's just a normal rack-and-pinion system, but instead of hydraulic assist, it has an electric motor typically attached to the steering column, inside the vehicle.

Those 2 are one and the same. Basically, the hydraulic setup in most cars now, but the pump is driven by an electric motor, rather than the engine. And it's called 'ELECTRO-HYDRAULIC', not electric (or electro-mechanical, which sounds fancier ). This is the best system, but the most expensive, plus still has the possibility of leaks, so hardly anybody uses it. Almost everybody now uses the purely electric setup.
And yes, there's another version of electric power steering, which adds a clutch in the steering column between the electric motor and the rack, and it's called 'steer-by-wire' system. The clutch is a 'fail-safe' system in case the electronics fail. Have no freaking idea why Infiniti is using it in the new Q-series cars (all new Infiniti cars will be Q-something now). That system would be an immediate deal-breaker for me, but most buyers won't even know what they're buying . One more step to robotic driving, which I wish never witness . Hope this helps.
On the C7, the electric motor that "assists" the steering is mounted to the rack housing and not the steering column.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
On the C7, the electric motor that "assists" the steering is mounted to the rack housing and not the steering column.
That's not good for longevity (more heat, water, etc), but obviously done for packaging reasons. That's why I said they're 'TYPICALLY' mounted inside the vehicle (most are). Makes no difference, really. But thanks for pointing that out. Hope the C7 has a cover under the engine, which even Hyundai Elantras have nowadays, but were absent on all C6s. Not only better for aerodynamics, but engine compartment stays cleaner, plus no water and crap on electric connectors and such.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-07-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
But some paper down under the car so you can really tell what the fluid is.
Or something to catch a few of those drops and hand it to the tech.
I've done it before. Did this on rear of the C6, took it down
there, they sent a flat bed to house. Did not want it driven
Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 PM
sly4458
Advanced

this might workName:  3112466282_3eff4a919e_b.jpeg
Views: 386
Size:  20.5 KB
Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I think I know what it is. The kid that did the PDI for your car left his slurpee cup in the engine compartment and it dripped.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Hey schilitj,

Are you going to go to the dealership to have this checked out? If so let me know so that I can help, if needed. Keep us all posted,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone know what the outcome to the OP's situation was? I woke up the other morning and pulled my car out for a wash only to find two small drips of reddish orange fluid on my garage floor! The drips were located right front directly under my radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake fluid on garage floor

Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Chip A
Instructor

Perhaps hyd. fluid leaking hydraulic belt tensioner? There have been several reported. Have you noticed above normal "clicking" from under the hood?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Thepiazza
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip A
Perhaps hyd. fluid leaking hydraulic belt tensioner? There have been several reported. Have you noticed above normal "clicking" from under the hood?
Unfortunately I haven't driven it much (less then 50 miles) but when I get home today I'll have a closer listen!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:50 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the same thing...small red puddle of fluid right front of car 12-18" back from front bumper.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid on garage floor