C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any solutions to the instrument and infotainment screens light levels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:47 PM
sccaracer46
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Any solutions to the instrument and infotainment screens light levels?

I have had my Stingray 12days now and have only encountered one annoying problem. When it nears dusk, the displays go into the night-time levels. With the ambient light at that time of day, it is almost impossible to read. This happens early in the morning as well, even after the sun has risen. I have seen a couple of other complaints about this situation, so I think it must be a wide spread issue. Perhaps there is a light sensor that is not properly calibrated or a software problem. I have mentioned it to my dealership and they do not have any what could be causing it. I have set the dimming rheostat to the maximum level which does not produce enough light. Any insight on this problem would be appreciated!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,000 Likes on 519 Posts
Tech Contributor

I mentioned this last night and was told it was not a problem by another another owner..Chevy Cust service responded here that they have passed this on to their channels...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...djustable.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585100912-post5.html
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Hi Glen,

You beat me to it! Thanks for letting sccaracer know that we are aware of the concerns. Sccaracer, if you have any other concerns please let me know.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-11-2013, 04:22 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I mentioned last week .. it seems a younger engineer must have signed off on the auto brightness dimmed level when photosensors detect " dusk " outside . OTOH, automakers have for decades simulated infirmaties of the older drivers by having mostly 30 something yr old ergonomic engrs wear glasses coded to various ages incl darkened lenses and simulated peripheral vision loss , " arthritis " suits , ear inserts to reduce ambient sound etc., to be sure older drivers can get in/out and operate the vehicle day or night . But since this is a hot sports car and not a " Lincoln Town Car " , maybe that wasn't done here. Even the fittest of 60+ y/o boomers cannot natural changes of the eyes.

from a random on-line vision source :

"Pupils shrink and don't dilate as much in the dark as we age, reducing the amount of light entering the eye. Various reports indicate that the retina of an 80-year-old receives far less light than the retina of a 20-year-old. This can make older drivers function as though they are wearing dark sunglasses at (dusk ) night. "

Add in early cataracts forming in drivers over age 50 and blurring of text in low light of folks over 45 ( part of the need for reading glasses they all develop) ...

Curious what a poll of age of those affected by this would show .

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 10-11-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 PM
DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I think the lights are just coming on too soon and they just need to tweak down the sensor.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,000 Likes on 519 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have a mini LED $4 penlight I will velcro and bathe the sensor with light for those dawn/dusk situations, until they send a software update.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not allow the owner to adjust the "dark" level? Simply allowing another person to set it will most likely not meet everyone's needs yet again. Seems like it would be an easy software tweak to me.

I'm pretty sure the Ford Explorer allows you to set the "dark" level display value via their interface.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 PM
yellowsnow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sccaracer46

I have had my Stingray 12days now and have only encountered one annoying problem. When it nears dusk, the displays go into the night-time levels. With the ambient light at that time of day, it is almost impossible to read. This happens early in the morning as well, even after the sun has risen. I have seen a couple of other complaints about this situation, so I think it must be a wide spread issue. Perhaps there is a light sensor that is not properly calibrated or a software problem. I have mentioned it to my dealership and they do not have any what could be causing it. I have set the dimming rheostat to the maximum level which does not produce enough light. Any insight on this problem would be appreciated!

In the settings menu there is an option to disengage the auto dimming featue. HOWEVER, if you keep it at daytime brightness levels, then when it does get dark out your screen will be hella bright
Old 10-11-2013, 05:48 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I have a mini LED $4 penlight I will velcro and bathe the sensor with light for those dawn/dusk situations, until they send a software update.
That's what I was thinking about doing!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:22 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The concern has been reported and it will be entered for a software update. A patch has not been started nor released.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
The concern has been reported and it will be entered for a software update. A patch has not been started nor released.
Will it simply be a different hard coded value that determines when (or how bright) the display is changed or will it be user configurable?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by r1owner
Will it simply be a different hard coded value that determines when (or how bright) the display is changed or will it be user configurable?
Honestly no idea what is even required let alone what will be proposed.

Get notified of new replies

To Any solutions to the instrument and infotainment screens light levels?

Quick Reply: Any solutions to the instrument and infotainment screens light levels?