C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IT'S HERE!! CG Z51, with brief review...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 05:57 PM
yellowsnow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IT'S HERE!! CG Z51, with brief review...

What an unbelievable day ladies and gentlemen! Let me start my recap by thanking GM'er and his updates. You made the process towards owning my dream car a little more exciting and much less stressful. I went from ordered, to car delivered in about 32 days, which I think was unbelievably lucky, but also a testament to the wonderful service I received at Bachman Chevrolet. These guys made me feel special, from start to finish. The process was quick, painless, and more enjoyable than any other car I have ever bought.

My car: Cyber Grey Metallic, Z-51, 2LT, Black Interior, Black Wheels, 7-sp, Magnetic Ride Control, Performance Exhaust, Red Callipers

What can I say that hasn't been said on this forum in another post? This car truly needs to be seen to be appreciated. Although it looks gorgeous in pictures, it is even more beautiful up close where you can study the car closely and appreciate the details both large and small.

The interior is light years beyond what the C6 gave us, and although the cockpit does feel a little more crowded than previous generations, there was plenty of room for my 6'2", 212lb frame. The seats are improved in some areas, but they felt crowded around my shoulders (by "crowded", I mean I felt as if the seat was pushing my shoulders forward) and by the time I got home, after about an 80 mile drive, I did feel like I had been sitting in an awkward position for a little too long.

Although I didn't open it up beyond manufacturers recommendations during the break in period (ha ha) performance and handling was spectacular, and you actually can "feel" the differences in the different modes as you cycle thru them. The car is literally "glued" to the road through turns, and the rumble that the performance exhaust makes in sport mode is so primal it will make you feel like you are driving an uncaged beast.

The infotainment system is going to be a bear to learn completely, but I was given a wonderful 40 minute tutorial by my salesperson who had just gotten back from a training session on the new corvette in Las Vegas, and I feel like we just barely scratched the surface of all the possible screen preferences/combinations.

My only complaint thus far is that there is really no good way to reverse in this vehicle. Yes, the backup camera is helpful, but you don't really get a good view thru it at all (its visual scope is aimed at the ground) and there is absolutely no visibility to your 4 or 8 o'clock when you turn around to back up, so backing out of parking spaces, or even out of the garage, is a very scary endeavor if there are obstacles close by.

Also, and this is very minor, when I took the roof out I almost dropped it on the ground. Not because it was heavy, far from it, it was light as a feather, but it was very large and cumbersome and I lost my grip on it. Perhaps GM would consider stitching a leather or fabric handle in the center of the roof panel to use as a grip to help with its movement and prevent possible roof damage.

In the last picture it looks almost blue, that's what's so awesome about this color. In the sun you can see MANY different color flakes in the paint, and different lighting conditions will bring out different colors.
Attached Images     

Last edited by yellowsnow; 10-05-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 PM
bmxbaddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review! It looks awesome and I think I'm going to get the exact same specs on mine.

Is there any chance you can post some pics of the interior? I'd love to see how the black 2lt looks on the inside!

Last edited by bmxbaddy; 10-05-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 PM
yellowsnow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmxbaddy
Thanks for the review! It looks awesome and I think I'm going to get the exact same specs on mine.

Is there any chance you can post some pics of the interior? I'd love to see how the black 2lt looks on the inside!
Will do later this evening/ tomorrow AM. Hoping the sun will be out tomorrow so I can go drive it a little more, nothing but rain today that's why all pics are in garage.

Also, only other color I was seriously considering besides CG was NRB, and after seeing one of those bad boys in the flesh I was REALLY conflicted on my color choice. But in the end I went with my gut, which is as you see above.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:55 PM
bmxbaddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowsnow
Will do later this evening/ tomorrow AM. Hoping the sun will be out tomorrow so I can go drive it a little more, nothing but rain today that's why all pics are in garage.

Also, only other color I was seriously considering besides CG was NRB, and after seeing one of those bad boys in the flesh I was REALLY conflicted on my color choice. But in the end I went with my gut, which is as you see above.
I'm in the same boat. I'm also considering Torch Red, but although that color looks amazing, I think it's a bit to ostentatious for me. Plus it screams "give me a ticket!" for the area I live in. Thanks in advance, I can't wait to see the pics!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

She's a beauty, congrats!!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:02 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

How does the stereo sound? Does it have the subwoofer option?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks great!

I have CG on my C6. It looks fantastic on a sunny day.

For a C7, on one hand, I'd like something different. On the other side, both of my cars are dark gray metallic and I have sailed through so many radar zone at 80mph without ever getting stopped that I think the color doesn't attract the attention from the officers at the switch.

Congrats
Old 10-05-2013, 07:11 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Nice ride!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Awesome!! I love the CG with red calipers! Your comment about the seat pushing your shoulders forward.....could you not recline the seat back just a touch to help with this?? How about the lumbar support is it enough to help at all??
Old 10-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Glen1224
Burning Brakes

Location: Lower Macungie Township ; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doughan
She's a beauty, congrats!!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 PM
yellowsnow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
Awesome!! I love the CG with red calipers! Your comment about the seat pushing your shoulders forward.....could you not recline the seat back just a touch to help with this?? How about the lumbar support is it enough to help at all??
the lumbar support is great, however it was the "wings" or side supports that were the problem for me. They extend from your lumbar area up into your thoracic or chest area and on up into the shoulders. I didn't mind the extension until it got into the shoulders where it made me feel like they were being pushed together and forward, and after a few hours it got to be both tiring and uncomfortable.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:13 PM
yellowsnow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DonOH
Looks great!

I have CG on my C6. It looks fantastic on a sunny day.

For a C7, on one hand, I'd like something different. On the other side, both of my cars are dark gray metallic and I have sailed through so many radar zone at 80mph without ever getting stopped that I think the color doesn't attract the attention from the officers at the switch.

Congrats
The other color that I thought looked amazing (but not for me) was Arctic White with CF roof, CF mirrors, & Black wheels. Not much for the cars that scream "HELLO" to the police when driving. Although, when it was parked for lunch, I did have an officer drive his patrol car by it to check it out, which I thought was pretty cool. Hopefully if I get pulled over in the future it will be by that same guy and he will let me off with a warning.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great review
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,023 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats, enjoy your new machine in good health!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:35 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Although, when it was parked for lunch, I did have an officer drive his patrol car by it to check it out, which I thought was pretty cool. Hopefully if I get pulled over in the future it will be by that same guy and he will let me off with a warning.
Right after I got my CG coupe, I was fueling up and an officer asked if he could borrow my car for the rest of his shift.

I said "Uh, no".

He laughed and said "Nice car."
Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
ONOFiveO
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Love that combo YS. Can't wait to see more photos from the side out in the sunshine.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:18 PM
yellowsnow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by traderfjp
How does the stereo sound? Does it have the subwoofer option?
That is another pet peeve of mine in this car. While it doesn't sound bad, if you really want to jam out and play your tunes LOUD, then the bass is so overwhelming and distorted that the rest of the mix just gets drowned out and it doesn't sound as good as it should. I know I could just adjust the bass level, but then when the radio/music is at lower volumes it sounds too high frequency (treble) and there is no "fullness" to the sound. Overall I don't find it that big of a deal because when adjusted to the volume that you plan on listening to 90% of your tunes at, it is more than an adequate stereo. I find that it's more aggravating to be mid song and someone call your phone (if bluetooth connected), or if navigation wants you to make a turn, then the music automatically turns off to "hear" the voice commands/prompts.

Also, the more I look at it, and I know it has been said before in other threads, I really, and I mean REALLY, REALLY wish there was a Z51 spoiler delete option or that GM would allow us to take it off under warranty. The car looks so much MORE without it.

Sorry no pictures today, as it is raining AGAIN. Tomorrow I will be working all day, but hope to get out Tuesday for a drive and some tinted windows as it is supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny So I will keep you informed and possibly place a few more pictures/videos if I can figure out how to do that.

Get notified of new replies

To IT'S HERE!! CG Z51, with brief review...

Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thats a gorgeous combination!

I love the grey/black.. with the pop of red color!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Varcix
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Would love some interior pics? 2LT black is the same interior I choose
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

That is another pet peeve of mine in this car. While it doesn't sound bad, if you really want to jam out and play your tunes LOUD, then the bass is so overwhelming and distorted that the rest of the mix just gets drowned out and it doesn't sound as good as it should. I know I could just adjust the bass level, but then when the radio/music is at lower volumes it sounds too high frequency (treble) and there is no "fullness" to the sound. Overall I don't find it that big of a deal because when adjusted to the volume that you plan on listening to 90% of your tunes at, it is more than an adequate stereo. I find that it's more aggravating to be mid song and someone call your phone (if bluetooth connected), or if navigation wants you to make a turn, then the music automatically turns off to "hear" the voice commands/prompts.

Also, the more I look at it, and I know it has been said before in other threads, I really, and I mean REALLY, REALLY wish there was a Z51 spoiler delete option or that GM would allow us to take it off under warranty. The car looks so much MORE without it.

Sorry no pictures today, as it is raining AGAIN. Tomorrow I will be working all day, but hope to get out Tuesday for a drive and some tinted windows as it is supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny So I will keep you informed and possibly place a few more pictures/videos if I can figure out how to do that.
Congrats that is the same color combo I ordered, but with Comp Seats. I hate the rear fin I wish we had a delete option, car looks more exotic without it..

Quick Reply: IT'S HERE!! CG Z51, with brief review...