My C7 chaos. What will GM do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

That's great. Now you can go to the forums for C3 and continue to extol the virtues of old vs. new. Have a good drive today, the weather's fine out there.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by hyteck9
It's 2014. Not 1977... Ohhh wait, my 1977 corvette has better body panel alignment. :-P. You wanna pay $60,000+ for 'close enough'... Be my guest.
I ordered many new C3's. If yours has even remotely decent alignment where the doors meet the 1/4 panels you have a rare car indeed (or it's been reworked).
Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I did not read all the posts but your story is really scary and extremely sad that GM obviously has no quality control and certainly no pride in their workmanship. Really Really SAD.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,121 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Patriot77
I did not read all the posts but your story is really scary and extremely sad that GM obviously has no quality control and certainly no pride in their workmanship. Really Really SAD.
Patriot77, how do you make the quantum leap from the few complaints logged publicly here and the above all-encompassing statement?

My C7 had NO visible misaligned panels, no inoperative features, and runs perfectly after its first 3000 miles. All my family and business's GM cars for the last four years have had no return visits to the dealer to fix quality issues, a statement I can't make about the BMW I traded for the Corvette or my wife's last Mercedes. GM is not perfect, by any stretch, but your statement shows both extreme bias and that you have no clue about automotive quality.

Last edited by Vettrocious; 10-13-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not looking to bash the C7 specifically.
In fact, I'm quite sure I mentioned several things I really enjoyed about it.

I'm just saying that in 2014, with the aid of computers and robotics...
I can't find any reason GM would release a product and it not be a bit more polished.

Manufacturing should be beyond this as a whole.
That is my disappointment.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Yellow
That's the wrong car. check the vin. (1G1YL2D74E5100781 on the car you listed)

It's the silver one vin1G1YC2D75E5100479 that we're interested in.

Ed
This thread has me confused. How can that dealer in Ohio have two C7's listed for sale, one being a super rare Z51, when every C7 coming out of the factory is pre sold for way above MSRP? At least that is what those in the know on this forum keep telling us in every other thread.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:23 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I think your concern is based on a few problems blown out of proportion. There are no cars produced that are trouble free. I think you will find problems per 100 cars rating if you Google it. My opinion is Corvette, if it were treated as an independent brand, would score very well. Check out my post I have no problems with my new Stingray. See how many trouble free new owners have replied.
I think the point is that the cars should not be given to a customer with those kind of things even if it is a new model. Maybe GM just doesn't grasp what quality really means and just close doesn't cut it.

My daughter picked up her new Mercedes CLA about two weeks ago and brought it over the next day for me to see and drive it. This is also a brand new just introduced new model for Mercedes and her car was the second one delivered in Tucson. It arrived on the truck and they PDI'd it, detailed it and delivered it to her less than 3 hours later. The fit and finish everywhere on the car was as perfect as it could be and the paint job and panel fit were flawless everywhere. Her car is a $30k car which is the bottom of the Mercedes lineup not the top of the line Chevy halo car that sells for twice as much or more.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 PM
CMC1998
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year the wife and I bought a German convertible. It had some paint issues and the dealer was brushing me off. I over heard the knuckle head service writer telling another service guy, "This is why people should lease".... I should have dropped him right there.

Last edited by CMC1998; 10-17-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:36 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

after a few thousand are built they will be better. no worries. for now my c6 zo6 is way cool enough.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Hello all,

I just wanted to mention that the car is back up for sale at Jeff Schmitt Auto. Perhaps they got everything fixed??

http://www.jeffschmittchevynorth.net...OH/vd/17128604

Also, some asked why their Z51 cyber grey was available for sale given its rarity. Best I can think of is, since it didn't include the Sport exhaust, the magnetic ride, or other Z51 favorite options... people are just test driving it and then ordering what they want.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

As for the general topic of production quality issues and the like, I offer the example of LCD screens. Remember when high end color LCD screens first came out in TV's, monitors, Sony PSP's.. and they tried to convince the public that a few dead pixels was "normal"? They even came up with some crazy formula that up to 5 pixels within a 4" square was fine as long is it was not in the center and blah blahblah...

That load of hu-ha lasted about 4 months... why? Because people returned them anyway. It was their money and the customer ultimately sets the expectation level.

The display industry took a major hit. They had to go back and improve processes, recycling more bad displays per run until they got it right, but in the end everybody won. So to all you corvette lovers like me, love it enough to set the bar high.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

So to all you corvette lovers like me, love it enough to set the bar high.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Improving the breed!

Ed
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

As for the general topic of production quality issues and the like, I offer the example of LCD screens. Remember when high end color LCD screens first came out in TV's, monitors, Sony PSP's.. and they tried to convince the public that a few dead pixels was "normal"? They even came up with some crazy formula that up to 5 pixels within a 4" square was fine as long is it was not in the center and blah blahblah...

That load of hu-ha lasted about 4 months... why? Because people returned them anyway. It was their money and the customer ultimately sets the expectation level.

The display industry took a major hit. They had to go back and improve processes, recycling more bad displays per run until they got it right, but in the end everybody won. So to all you corvette lovers like me, love it enough to set the bar high.
Well said and in a mature way. Your final comments should be the one that closes this thread.
Cool......

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 10-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It is hard to argue with the above, esp. the last paragraph. I'd agree with you.

And without it being funny, as we know there is a just-delivered car (rruunutz) that is missing a couple of pixels in its display. So far, the owner is ok with it unless it gets worse.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Wonder if his s/o knows he's missing a few pixels ...................
Old 10-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

It is almost like we are saying that the people at Bowling Green would not set their own bar high. I disagree with that.
Not at all. That's your interpretation. No one has said that.

They must be made aware of the problems in order to resolve them. If there are no complaints then everything must be okay. The more reports of a problem the more likely it will be promptly resolved.

One report, no big deal. Ten, or twenty reports, a big deal. A customer refuses a car, a even bigger problem.

Ed
Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best problem to have is a customer who is POed and who tells you about it so you can act to correct it. They are the ones who see you as a problem solver and tell their co-workers, friends and family, growing your business.

The worst problem to have is a customer who is POed but who never tells you about it. They are the ones who just complain to their co-workers, friends and family, killing your business.

Get notified of new replies

To My C7 chaos. What will GM do?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

I said"almost like" which also means no one said "that" but may have been implied.
I wonder how you got to feel that the people at BG need to wait until enough people complain about a "problem" . Each event is being taken care of no matter how many exist. Each problem is a big deal. There is customer service right on the forum. Your past experience may have lead you to believe otherwise. This is now. A new day.
Look Bill; relax & light one up for a minute.

You seem to think I have a problem with Bowling Green, but nothing could be further from the truth. Do they have bugs to work out? Sure. But keeping your mouth shut, and accepting them is not going to change anything.

They have to be told what's wrong, or nothing changes. If everything was so good there the problems wouldn't have gotten out the door.

Your attitude is one that presents Them as being aware of the problems, but shipping them out anyway. At least I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, and they should be told what's wrong with the cars.

The new day may be right around the corner, but it's not high noon yet.

Ed
Old 10-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Your putting words into my mouth so it fits your argument. I never said all the stuff you are crediting me with. I never said accept what's going on. Where did you get that? Of course a customer tells them if there is something wrong. No production is perfect. That's why there is warranty. They know there will be problems. They know that when they ship them. They just do not know what problems until the customer calls. My point is you do not need to rally a bunch of complaints in order to get service. You do not need to get a lot of voices to complain. One voice is enough. Do you think they are waiting until a number of people complain? You are living in the past service, as I said before.
Bill - Bill - Bill. I have become weary of you.

You just want to argue, but you have not presented your case well. You say everything will be fine, just let them continue as they have, and all will eventually go away.

I'm going over here in the corner, and ignore you. So please, make one more post, and you can feel like you had the last word.

Ed
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Oh my gosh.... You are not going to believe this!!!

I got a call from the dealer, Jeff Schmitt Auto in Fairborn, OH.

Through some kind of ordering mix-up, they were just delivered a SECOND Blade-Silver C7 base model corvette with the exact same options as the one I returned. It is rolling off the truck now, not even PDI'd yet.

They have invited me back for a no-strings-attached comparison test drive to see if this new one behaves the same.

to repeat... BOTH CARS are on the lot side by side.!!!!

I don't know when I can break free to get down there since birthday plans are in full motion for me the next few days... but what a fluke!

Quick Reply: My C7 chaos. What will GM do?