Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front plate install step by step with pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:32 PM
jb306y
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my "14 VETT" tags. I have the front bracket that folds away, but I haven't had a chance to put it on yet. Ohio must use fronts so I hope this foldaway will keep me from getting a ticket.. "Oh sorry officer, someone must have pushed it down, I'll put it right back up"...

Last edited by jb306y; 12-06-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 PM
redvert05
Cruising

Originally Posted by mrrrkva
The "bent Corvette" license bracket comes in 2 pieces. So you dont have to drill thru the corvette panel. 1) Remove the panel 2) Turn it over and drill GUIDE holes thru holes already in the back, you will see them when you turn it over. 3) Install the BIG black license hardware, loosen the black bolt all the way. 4) Intall on car, tighten the black bolts all the way. 5) Install plate with screws in the guide holes your drilled.
That's not a license bracket, it's an Aero Panel (wink, wink). See pg. 10-21 in the owner's manual.

Amazing how the pop-out "Corvette" panel is the exact size of a license plate and the back has guides, that when drilled out, are in the same position as plate mounting screws. Wonder how many hours were spent between the engineers and lawyers to make sure this was NOT a mounting bracket.

When will someone get stopped, with the officer pulling out the tape measure, and bust you for your front plate being too low? Will probably happen right here in OH.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 PM
AH1H
Intermediate

Installed pictures. I am by no means a mechanic. Dont laugh too hard, but I think anyone can do this. I did work on getting the plate bent just right before I installed it. I bent it a little more than it needed to be so it would straighten and lay flat when I installed the screws.
God, I hate it! It's totally bogus that we're required to have a plate on both the front AND rear of the car. That's Cali for you.

Plus, this looks like it inhibits airflow to the engine.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

For those of us who are required to affix a front license plate, this installation is much better than stock and much, much better than that of my C6. Thank you for posting, this is the first thing I did today when I brought my car home from the dealer.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM
10-7 OD
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Front plates generally have to be a certain height off the ground. That was GM covering their asses.
Agreed, total CYA solution for all 50 states.

Rear plates usually have a minimum height standard, but rarely do front plates. Even in crazy liberal California, two plates are required but there is no minimum height requirement for the front. Goes without saying, but always refer to your state's vehicle code.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 10-7 OD
Agreed, total CYA solution for all 50 states.

Rear plates usually have a minimum height standard, but rarely do front plates. Even in crazy liberal California, two plates are required but there is no minimum height requirement for the front. Goes without saying, but always refer to your state's vehicle code.
Any cop who pulls you over for a front plate that is too "low" is either:
1) using it as a pretext to establish "probable cause" to stop you, or
2) a major a..hole, or
3) both
Old 12-23-2013, 03:33 AM
10-7 OD
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51
2) a major a..hole, or
3) both
I'm in CA, where we don't have a front plate height requirement...so no PC for a traffic stop there. Lacking a front plate is good PC though, but you're right...I just use that when I need to...like when I want to see what's really going on with the vehicle occupants. We're not talking soccer Moms or new cars, we're talking gang bangers and parolees without a front plate. Even then, if everything checks out...no cite...leave the PC for the next guy! 10-8.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Buzzardz_vette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Guys, just to clarify, according to the GM Assembly Plant (I asked while on the VIP Tour during my Museum delivery), the Aero Panel (see figure 1 below) is used to increase the aerodynamics of the car for fuel consumption. It is not designed for use as license plate holder, hence the word Corvette on it. According to the Owner's Manual, you need to remove it if you are going to be driving aggressively or in hot weather to increase cooling to the engine (you also need to remove the license plate bracket as well, page 9-7).
Owner's Manual, page 10-21
Cooling System (Aero Panel)

The aero panel enhances
aerodynamic efficiency and
improves fuel economy.

Remove the aero panel and bracket
to improve engine cooling and air
conditioning performance when
driving aggressively or in hot
weather.
Figure 1.

The license plate bracket actually wraps over the top of the bumper as shown in Figure 2 below. It is at a proper height and is also flat to comply with state laws (though some states do not care as noted in other replies).

Figure 2

All that said, you can use the Aero Panel for a license plate holder as so many are with some modification, it just wasn't designed for that use. I myself will use which ever one I can and still be legal, thought I would really like to use the Aero Panel. The authorities in my neck of Virgina do like to stop people for missing or improperly installed license plates (just ask my wife!!!).

Of course, I will probably see how long I can get away with no front plate before deciding on which one to use...

Last edited by Buzzardz_vette; 12-23-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzardz_vette
Guys, just to clarify, according to the GM Assembly Plant (I asked while on the VIP Tour during my Museum delivery), the Aero Panel (see figure 1 below) is used to increase the aerodynamics of the car for fuel consumption. It is not designed for use as license plate holder, hence the word Corvette on it. According to the Owner's Manual, you need to remove it if you are going to be driving aggressively or in hot weather to increase cooling to the engine (you also need to remove the license plate bracket as well, page 9-7).
Owner's Manual, page 10-21
Cooling System (Aero Panel)

The aero panel enhances
aerodynamic efficiency and
improves fuel economy.

Remove the aero panel and bracket
to improve engine cooling and air
conditioning performance when
driving aggressively or in hot
weather.
Figure 1.

The license plate bracket actually wraps over the top of the bumper as shown in Figure 2 below. It is at a proper height and is also flat to comply with state laws (though some states do not care as noted in other replies).

Figure 2

All that said, you can use the Aero Panel for a license plate holder as so many are with some modification, it just wasn't designed for that use. I myself will use which ever one I can and still be legal, thought I would really like to use the Aero Panel. The authorities in my neck of Virgina do like to stop people for missing or improperly installed license plates (just ask my wife!!!).

Of course, I will probably see how long I can get away with no front plate before deciding on which one to use...
Not Correct! Upon taking off the "Corvette" panel, there is a circle and the line through it that means you must use the Corvette plate and not install it without it. Forget what the manual says. there are a number of items in there not correct.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:57 PM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I added a urethane border (available at PepBoys) around my plate, then mounted it on the bracket without the "corvette" filler panel. To me, this is the best looking solution if you must have a front plate to be legal.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
white90conv (06-22-2017)
Old 02-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Added link to this thread to the DIY, FAQ'S and TIPS sticky thread.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51
2) a major a..hole, or
3) both
They are always looking for a pretext to establish PC. Most pull you over, mostly not to give you a ticket, but to find a reason to lock you up. I believe something like 25% of arrests come from traffic stops. An arrest certainly looks better than a ticket on their record. But if they have to settle for a ticket, so be it. But you'd be surprised at some of the laws they can lock you up for. It is a whole lot better for you to get a ticket than an arrest. Even if you're not guilty the arrest stays on your record. Very, very bad.

So, it's generally better not to give an LEO a reason to pull you over. But, this looks so much better than the "official" solution for a front plate. Hmmmmm.

Cheers.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm gonna have to do this soon. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by indy 28
I added a urethane border (available at PepBoys) around my plate, then mounted it on the bracket without the "corvette" filler panel. To me, this is the best looking solution if you must have a front plate to be legal.
Did the same on my C7. I posted a link to the item on the Pep Boys Website on another Thread.

For the Ladies, they even have the Urethane Border in Pink.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

"urethane border" great idea thanks a lot
Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

The biggest reason I didn't do it, is I didn't want to Drill thru it. There are no holes and it would of been hard to line up. Very good thought though, but I didn't want my plate laying on top of it, however, I would love to see someone who did this to see if it looks better.
You aren't drilling through the Cover that says CORVETTE. You drill through the back bracket. They even have little dimples that you use as a guide.

I used a sharp implement to make a small hole in the dimple to guide the drill bit.

You could remount the plastic CORVETTE vanity piece and you could never tell you used the Bracket to mount a Front Plate.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Second Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by rsvette12
"urethane border" great idea thanks a lot
It works like a charm and it covers more of the License Plate than a regular License Plate Frame.

It contours when you bend the License Plate to fit the Aero Bracket and since it is soft material, there is no rattle.

Here is a picture of my car with the Front License Plate.
Haven't had a chance to crop the picture, but you get the idea.

Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Front plate install step by step with pics

Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

Very nice - thanks for posting ordered mine as there is not many pepboys in my area paid more for the shipping than the actual part - part was 4.99 - nice price
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ersin
They are always looking for a pretext to establish PC. Most pull you over, mostly not to give you a ticket, but to find a reason to lock you up. I believe something like 25% of arrests come from traffic stops. An arrest certainly looks better than a ticket on their record. But if they have to settle for a ticket, so be it. But you'd be surprised at some of the laws they can lock you up for. It is a whole lot better for you to get a ticket than an arrest. Even if you're not guilty the arrest stays on your record. Very, very bad.

So, it's generally better not to give an LEO a reason to pull you over. But, this looks so much better than the "official" solution for a front plate. Hmmmmm.

Cheers.
What the hell are you doing that the cops are looking for PC to pull you over?

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you."

Quick Reply: Front plate install step by step with pics