Sponsored by:

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 AM
snakepit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default K&N Air Filter

Has anyone installed the K&N Air Filter.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by snakepit
Has anyone installed the K&N Air Filter.
When I posted the story a while back, the filter was just a prototype...not sure if it has hit the market yet....easy to check though, just email them.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:49 AM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not this again,

total junk.

So you think the engineers at k&N are much smarter than the Corvette engineers.

My gosh, save your money, this is not 1975.

Read what the engineer that worked on the Zr-1 filter said, you will only get more dirt and oil on the sensors.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 PM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 hp

They advertise a 15hp improvement. First, who could tell if they had an additional 15hp. Second, I agree that the largest car mfg in the world has the ability to engineer a quality air filter.

Pass on the KN air filter and take your daughter to a Katy Perry concert. Or you wife to Taco Bell. They will love you for it.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ospreycorvette
not this again,

total junk.

So you think the engineers at k&N are much smarter than the Corvette engineers.

My gosh, save your money, this is not 1975.

Read what the engineer that worked on the Zr-1 filter said, you will only get more dirt and oil on the sensors.
thank you
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I disagree. The stock filter is designed for a specific volume of airflo, however thats one end of the pipe that the total engineering for fuel economy, flow, and backpressure.
Its very simple, if you limit the volume of air going in, you limit the total combustion. The first point to limit IS the intake. Do this, open your mouth real wide, and try sucking in air without any filter, and with various densities of fabric. This is the same principal here for aftermarket filters. Paper filters restrict, cotton filters may be less restrictive. As long as the backpressure of the exhaust system can accomodate the additional volume of flow, you have an increase in output.
Frankly, I prefer having a filter that is resuable and I dont have to nanny every 10K miles
Old 10-16-2013, 02:07 PM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sotirisf
I disagree. The stock filter is designed for a specific volume of airflo, however thats one end of the pipe that the total engineering for fuel economy, flow, and backpressure.
Its very simple, if you limit the volume of air going in, you limit the total combustion. The first point to limit IS the intake. Do this, open your mouth real wide, and try sucking in air without any filter, and with various densities of fabric. This is the same principal here for aftermarket filters. Paper filters restrict, cotton filters may be less restrictive. As long as the backpressure of the exhaust system can accomodate the additional volume of flow, you have an increase in output.
Frankly, I prefer having a filter that is resuable and I dont have to nanny every 10K miles
Corvette filters do not restrict, do your research, these engineers spend huge dollars and research on clean non restrictive filters.

Total JUNK, proved over and over again on EVERY performance forum.
Now if your car is from the 70-80's go for it.

I still would not, more flow in a small space means larger dirt particles.

638hp on the ZR1 and the engineers said there would be no improvement with any filter in the space unless you want dirt in.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:54 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ospreycorvette
Corvette filters do not restrict, do your research, these engineers spend huge dollars and research on clean non restrictive filters.

Total JUNK, proved over and over again on EVERY performance forum.
Now if your car is from the 70-80's go for it.

I still would not, more flow in a small space means larger dirt particles.

638hp on the ZR1 and the engineers said there would be no improvement with any filter in the space unless you want dirt in.
Spot on!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

10K? It's 50K on the C6 and 37.5 in the C7.

Last edited by John Harry; 10-16-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:01 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Oh boy! Another K&N filter discussion.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

^ imho, this is what I refer to as pure Logibull. An attempt at constructing a logical argument employing bullshot facts. The above logibull is fatality flawed in it's initial assumption. Poster assumes that the factory filter, "designed for a specific volume of airflow," limits the volume of intake air available, to an performance robing rate.

To achieve credibility, please demonstrate to us the required airflow for the C7 engine to achieve it's maximum performance peak horse power and torgue - and then demonstrate to us that the factory air filter will not flow at that rate.

I'll bet a nickle, that the engineers tasked with developing the new 2014 "LT-1" 6.2L V-8 VVT DI engine, and equipped with a multimillon dollar development budget, partnered with suppliers capable of providing a filter with no performance inhibiting characteristics. In fact there have been separate articles published specifically detailing said filter development.

But it's much easier to foist Logibull on folks than do actual research.

Last edited by michaelinmech; 10-16-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 PM
gofobroke
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reread the post man. It says to:" open your mouth real wide and try sucking in air....
IJS.....
Old 10-16-2013, 05:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by BIg Wash AZ
They advertise a 15hp improvement. First, who could tell if they had an additional 15hp. Second, I agree that the largest car mfg in the world has the ability to engineer a quality air filter.

Pass on the KN air filter and take your daughter to a Katy Perry concert. Or you wife to Taco Bell. They will love you for it.
Where did you get the 15 HP claim? I think the FTC got on to them. This is straight from their webpage. " Our automotive OE (original equipment) replacement air filters generally add 1-4 horsepower."
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM
SledUtah
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Where did you get the 15 HP claim? I think the FTC got on to them. This is straight from their webpage. " Our automotive OE (original equipment) replacement air filters generally add 1-4 horsepower."
Here it is. He says 15 to 20 HP gains

@ 7:45
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz2eJUn4Dw5
Old 10-16-2013, 06:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by SledUtah
Here it is. He says 15 to 20 HP gains

@ 7:45
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...#ixzz2eJUn4Dw5
That's a joke. K&N is very careful not to make 15-20 horsepower claims when they know they have to back them up. Who made the 15-20 horsepower claim? K&N or Motor Trend?

There is a reason K&N states clearly on their webpage that their OE replacement filters generally increase horsepower from 1 to 4HP.

They start throwing out those claims again, and the FTC will make them back them up. The FTC does not allow a company to use testimonials as evidence of performance.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM
SledUtah
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JoesC5
That's a joke. K&N is very careful not to make 15-20 horsepower claims when they know they have to back them up. Who made the 15-20 horsepower claim? K&N or Motor Trend?

There is a reason K&N states clearly on their webpage that their OE replacement filters generally increase horsepower from 1 to 4HP.

They start throwing out those claims again, and the FTC will make them back them up. The FTC does not allow a company to use testimonials as evidence of performance.
She says over 15hp gain and he says 15 to 20 hp gains @7:45min. @ 1min it says he is with K & N engineering.

Complete lies, why don't they show the graph if it is true.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N Air Filter

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter