C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car and Driver Test C7 vs 911

Old 10-11-2013, 06:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Guibo
Reposted for actual answers this time. And let's say in addition to looking like a Yugo, it had even worse build quality, materials, and fit & finish as the Yugo.
You seriously don't get it do you, I really don't know just how many times I have to repeat myself, it's getting tiresome really. One last time:

I like the Corvette because of how it makes ME feel when I drive it, not how it makes the writer of a CD or RT article feel, HOW I FEEL. I don't give a crap if there is a car that's cheaper, that's faster or has more legroom or cargo area, has NAV. The C7 to ME is priced right, looks great, has awesome performance and fits MY needs. The Stingray is the car that I want, the car that I bought and the car that I will enjoy for a very long time just like the other two Corvettes that I have owned.

With that being said why don't you stop trying to trip me up with my own words, I've been saying the exact same thing since we first started communicating and no matter how many times you quote me, no matter how far back you look you will never find something that contradicts my position on why I bought the C7, I welcome you to try but it will be a waste of your time.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
So now you're bragging that you're not immature...
No.

////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've offered you some food for thought regarding bragging. Hopefully you'll consider it in the days ahead.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:11 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Notch
No.

////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've offered you some food for thought regarding bragging. Hopefully you'll consider it in the days ahead.
Honestly, you really haven't offered me anything, not that you're wrong but like I said, you live your life how you like and I'll live mine.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You see one 911 You seen them all. Very boring car to look at. A cayman is a chicks car too.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You seriously don't get it do you, I really don't know just how many times I have to repeat myself, it's getting tiresome really. One last time:

I like the Corvette because of how it makes ME feel when I drive it, not how it makes the writer of a CD or RT article feel, HOW I FEEL. I don't give a crap if there is a car that's cheaper, that's faster or has more legroom or cargo area, has NAV. The C7 to ME is priced right, looks great, has awesome performance and fits MY needs. The Stingray is the car that I want, the car that I bought and the car that I will enjoy for a very long time just like the other two Corvettes that I have owned.

With that being said why don't you stop trying to trip me up with my own words, I've been saying the exact same thing since we first started communicating and no matter how many times you quote me, no matter how far back you look you will never find something that contradicts my position on why I bought the C7, I welcome you to try but it will be a waste of your time.
Here in this thread you're claiming it's how the car makes you feel, yet in another thread, you blast the magazine testers for printing in their own magazine their own results of cars that they have put together for comparison, on track time that they've paid for, simply because you only care about numbers. And while people like Notch and myself have been saying that subjectivity matters, you seem to be fighting that concept tooth and nail, distilling the sports car experience into a purely competitive event:
Tell me, why do you think people by fast cars when a Toyota Corolla can do the exact same thing but to a lesser degree?
Oh so the thousands of guys and girls that go to 1/4 mile tracks in my great country and yours to race their blood sweat and tears creations do it just for the hell of it. So car guys who meet in someone's man cave and shoot the schit about cams and turbos over a couple of beers do it not to brag about who's car is faster but just to pass time, wow, if this is how you think then you truly are not a car guy, you are merely a guy who likes cars.
You didn't answer the question: Did the guy with the green Porsche in the video I posted not seem like a car guy to you?

If a car is just something to transport people why is there such a rivalry between Corvette and Viper or Porsche, Mustang and Camaro? Once again I really don't think you "get it".
Brilliant. Now tell me who here has said that a car is just something to transport people.
I get that some people are immature. You've already admitted to engaging in that behavior. But just because you do, that doesn't mean other people don't, and there could be (and are) perfectly valid reasons for choosing to buy, own, and drive (yes, often quite fast) a sports car. That doesn't make them any less of a "car guy." Just because you have to race someone else doesn't mean you're a car guy. An egotistical banker in his (insert premium-brand mega-hp luxobarge) unable to control his urge to exert his supposed superiority over a Civic by "racing" him from a light is not necessarily anymore of a "car guy" than the one in the Civic (who may have rebuilt his engine in his own garage, but feels no compunction to "race" through crowded intersections). Speaking of which, with a comment like this:

Well maybe to those who just don't quite "get it". That's why people like you are happing trolling around in their Honda Civics while people like me aren't.
You're not one to talk about perceived slights of social self-superiority.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:29 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Opened this thread, first time in a long time, and the first words I read are, "You just don't get it, do you..." Isn't that where it was after the 3rd post in every thread ever dealing with this topic. It is truly like Groundhog Day on steroids

Old 10-12-2013, 02:27 AM
VRMMMM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The as tested price for the VW beetle is what?????
Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
straightedge442
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Snorman
Perhaps to some, but it's certainly not "boring" and "bland" like a 911 Beetle. And from a performance standpoint, which is of relative importance to me when I'm spending ~$100k, the GT-R will dropkick the 911 into next week.
S.
The 911 is starting to look bland, and the Corvette is far more attractive, but the Porsche is beautiful compared to the washing machine Nissan calls a "GT-R".
Old 10-14-2013, 03:19 PM
DEciiBel
Instructor

This is a great thread. A bit frayed but still usable. In it we have found that a number of folks have transcended ego and have become humble through a lengthy inculcation derived from upbringing and the grinding away of life.
POOH!
I like my car. It's a really pretty color, has sparkly bits, tinting and gets unsolicited favorable comments. It goes like heck, is relatively affordable, comfortable enough for my 66 Y/O body. The radio is adequate, the air conditioning suitable for my climate, and the roof comes off for the open air experience. ('08 blue coupe with chrome wheels, transparent roof and darkened windows, 2lt, Z51, six speed, Michelins (that are the one genuine expense))
It is a rampantly suitable vehicle for my ego and single life. It is freaking fun. It makes me feel zippy and is a constant bemusement to friends and family who feel that it either makes me cooler or an old fool.

I prefer the cooler image but I'm sure all the Porsche dudes think I'm a wannabe. I am not.

I was a veteran representative (and veteran myself) who represented my clients with fervor. I was the State's POW/MIA coordinator and assisted them with benefit applications. In that role I learned about the capturing nations and how they dealt with this segment of OUR society in America. The Japanese were blindly savage and the Germans were reasonable once the GI's were captured.

That is one reason why I will never own a Japanese car under any circumstances and have mere qualms about German vehicles. I figured I should declare this before I enter into the "Equations for Ownership" debate. You will not see me in GTR even if they were free. Although honesty must prevail here and I would sell it with extremely low mileage.

Porsches are ugly. They are Teutonic driving machines. Aiming to coddle the purchaser while making him feel potentially superior on a track. It is a form of uber mensch that drives their buyers.
You always knew for that money you could get a better driving car for the track. (A Cobra is a fine example of comparative value.) It always had the virtually useless rear seating which defined it's wasteful ways. It is expensive initially and maintenance is an economic nightmare.

I like my Corvette because it is affordable, reliable, easily repaired, customizable and is capable to do some tracking if I indulge.
DID I mention it was pretty?
I cruise mostly with the occasional spirited thrust near limits. I have no problem with the seating or that the car is 'plastic'. The interior is something that rarely enters into my consciousness beyond initial impressions. It sounds great and is quiet enough when I am out and about.

It is great for my ego which sits in the same place it always has. It's at the top of the pyramid for deciding what to do with disposal income. I temper myself to it's demands by looking for good value within the range of what is acceptable to it, for I am not rich. If I did not have an ego I would drive the Honda Odyssey the brothers on 'Car Talk' enthuse over.
If you admit the evidence, nobody drives these cars for any other reason then they want them. That's ego. Nobody in the Buddhist Temples EVER says they are humble. They do this by how they live. Anybody driving these cars aren't joining any Ashrams.
If you haven't TOSSED your trophies then they are important to you. If you mention your trophies then they are important to you.
They are proof that you succeeded in something that was important to you.
'Things' having importance is an indication that some shearing is required before you mention someone else's motivations in this regard as something to grow out of. Losing ego needs is not a growth experience in itself and is a BS excuse for acting smug.
Being overly concerned about getting unsolicited positive comments on a possession is not a sign of maturity. To this I agree.

I love it anyway and I like being the 'bomb' to my kids and the envy of family, friends and neighbors. I have what they desire. It freaking feels great, drives fine and makes me think I made the right buy, even when I wear raggedy shorts.

Porsche allows you to put the kiddie seat in when you want to do 140 to the exclusive Kiddie-Care center. It is a signature piece of increasingly STUPID conspicuous consumption. That is why it had ONE point in value. There is no excuse to purchase a POOPcher except as a mobile trinket. It's the way it is, right now, and I suspect this is a trend going forward. Did I mention it's ugly?
If you want this type of poor performance for the DOLLAR, GET THAT ITALIAN MARQUE. At least they look fine.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:12 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

There are so many things wrong with this post that I'm not even going to try and respond. Ego is a dangerous thing and a harmful thing.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by B747VET
Ego is a dangerous thing and a harmful thing.
Yep.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DEciiBel
Porsche allows you to put the kiddie seat in when you want to do 140 to the exclusive Kiddie-Care center. It is a signature piece of increasingly STUPID conspicuous consumption. That is why it had ONE point in value.
If you want this type of poor performance for the DOLLAR, GET THAT ITALIAN MARQUE. At least they look fine.
Porsche allows you to put the kiddie seat in when you want to do the speed limit to school or the ballpark too. You have choices.
There was no Value category. There was As-Tested Price, an easily objectifiable quantity. The final score would be the closest thing there is to a Value category, which C&D used to have.
Cheapest car from that Italian marque starts at $50k on top of this 911, and the California doesn't look all that hot IMO.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET
There are so many things wrong with this post that I'm not even going to try and respond. Ego is a dangerous thing and a harmful thing.
Well said, could not have said it better myself.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DEciiBel
This is a great thread. A bit frayed but still usable. In it we have found that a number of folks have transcended ego and have become humble through a lengthy inculcation derived from upbringing and the grinding away of life.
POOH!
I like msxy car. It's a really pretty color, has sparkly bits, tinting and gets unsolicited favorable comments. It goes like heck, is relatively affordable, comfortable enough for my 66 Y/O body. The radio is adequate, the air conditioning suitable for my climate, and the roof comes off for the open air experience. ('08 blue coupe with chrome wheels, transparent roof and darkened windows, 2lt, Z51, six speed, Michelins (that are the one genuine expense))
It is a rampantly suitable vehicle for my ego and single life. It is freaking fun. It makes me feel zippy and is a constant bemusement to friends and family who feel that it either makes me cooler or an old fool.

I prefer the cooler image but I'm sure all the Porsche dudes think I'm a wannabe. I am not.

I was a veteran representative (and veteran myself) who represented my clients with fervor. I was the State's POW/MIA coordinator and assisted them with benefit applications. In that role I learned about the capturing nations and how they dealt with this segment of OUR society in America. The Japanese were blindly savage and the Germans were reasonable once the GI's were captured.

That is one reason why I will never own a Japanese car under any circumstances and have mere qualms about German vehicles. I figured I should declare this before I enter into the "Equations for Ownership" debate. You will not see me in GTR even if they were free. Although honesty must prevail here and I would sell it with extremely low mileage.

Porsches are ugly. They are Teutonic driving machines. Aiming to coddle the purchaser while making him feel potentially superior on a track. It is a form of uber mensch that drives their buyers.
You always knew for that money you could get a better driving car for the track. (A Cobra is a fine example of comparative value.) It always had the virtually useless rear seating which defined it's wasteful ways. It is expensive initially and maintenance is an economic nightmare.

I like my Corvette because it is affordable, reliable, easily repaired, customizable and is capable to do some tracking if I indulge.
DID I mention it was pretty?
I cruise mostly with the occasional spirited thrust near limits. I have no problem with the seating or that the car is 'plastic'. The interior is something that rarely enters into my consciousness beyond initial impressions. It sounds great and is quiet enough when I am out and about.

It is great for my ego which sits in the same place it always has. It's at the top of the pyramid for deciding what to do with disposal income. I temper myself to it's demands by looking for good value within the range of what is acceptable to it, for I am not rich. If I did not have an ego I would drive the Honda Odyssey the brothers on 'Car Talk' enthuse over.
If you admit the evidence, nobody drives these cars for any other reason then they want them. That's ego. Nobody in the Buddhist Temples EVER says they are humble. They do this by how they live. Anybody driving these cars aren't joining any Ashrams.
If you haven't TOSSED your trophies then they are important to you. If you mention your trophies then they are important to you.
They are proof that you succeeded in something that was important to you.
'Things' having importance is an indication that some shearing is required before you mention someone else's motivations in this regard as something to grow out of. Losing ego needs is not a growth experience in itself and is a BS excuse for acting smug.
Being overly concerned about getting unsolicited positive comments on a possession is not a sign of maturity. To this I agree.

I love it anyway and I like being the 'bomb' to my kids and the envy of family, friends and neighbors. I have what they desire. It freaking feels great, drives fine and makes me think I made the right buy, even when I wear raggedy shorts.

Porsche allows you to put the kiddie seat in when you want to do 140 to the exclusive Kiddie-Care center. It is a signature piece of increasingly STUPID conspicuous consumption. That is why it had ONE point in value. There is no excuse to purchase a POOPcher except as a mobile trinket. It's the way it is, right now, and I suspect this is a trend going forward. Did I mention it's ugly?
I enjoyed the read..thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by straightedge442
The 911 is starting to look bland, and the Corvette is far more attractive, but the Porsche is beautiful compared to the washing machine Nissan calls a "GT-R".
Great car Nissan has but looks like ***.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 PM
sweetcharity
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15

Man....I don't care about that article, I don't care that the Vette can beat the 911 around any track....I am on the search for a 2012-13 991s because I happen to like...no, love the way they look. I have owned a couple previous p-cars with my last being an '07 turbo and I find myself after being through an '09 Aston V8V and a '12 C63, wishing I had just stayed with the Porsche. Does not mean that I don't think the new Vette is a great car...quite the contrary, I dig the new looks, love the new interior, I know what it can do (based on what I have read here and elsewhere) bang for buck etc...it is just not for me, simple as that. So I will be going with the ugly, boring, pos Porsche and loving it as much as you guys in the Vette camp love your new cars.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 PM
FastVette85
Instructor

Glad to see the C7 won. And I'll say what most Corvette owners (including myself) are probably thinking in this thread: I wouldn't be caught dead in a snobby 911

Get notified of new replies

To Car and Driver Test C7 vs 911

Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sweetcharity
Man....I don't care about that article, I don't care that the Vette can beat the 911 around any track....I am on the search for a 2012-13 991s because I happen to like...no, love the way they look. I have owned a couple previous p-cars with my last being an '07 turbo and I find myself after being through an '09 Aston V8V and a '12 C63, wishing I had just stayed with the Porsche. Does not mean that I don't think the new Vette is a great car...quite the contrary, I dig the new looks, love the new interior, I know what it can do (based on what I have read here and elsewhere) bang for buck etc...it is just not for me, simple as that. So I will be going with the ugly, boring, pos Porsche and loving it as much as you guys in the Vette camp love your new cars.
The 911 is a nice car. Good luck with your purchase and thanks for sharing your perspective on the two cars @ on corvette forum.

Good to hear the perspective.

I prefer the corvette myself yet congratulate those who have differing opinions as we'll.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Our resident Porsche fans are probably completely discombobulated now that a major car mag picked the C7 over the 911.
"How can this happen?"
S.
I've often had the theory that the reason American cars like the Corvette often come up short in these tests vs the Germans is really not much more than the "snob" factor at work.

The reviewers, like the rest of us, can afford Chevys...... Corvettes are just a little too "pedestrian". At $50,000 they aren't quite "cheap" but they are within reach of virtually anyone with a decent job and willing to dig deep enough.

The Corvette is ALWAYS gonna have to be MUCH BETTER car to beat the "dream car" that costs $100,000+ ...... a little better won't get it done against dreams of the "good-life" where a new Porsche is as easy to buy for the reviewer as a new Camary is in reality.....that's a fantasy that puts the the more expensive Porsche in a lead before the engines are even fired up for a measured test.

Makes this review of the new Corvette as the better car just that much more impressive really.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Krystal
I've often had the theory that the reason American cars like the Corvette often come up short in these tests vs the Germans is really not much more than the "snob" factor at work.

The reviewers, like the rest of us, can afford Chevys...... Corvettes are just a little too "pedestrian". At $50,000 they aren't quite "cheap" but they are within reach of virtually anyone with a decent job and willing to dig deep enough.

The Corvette is ALWAYS gonna have to be MUCH BETTER car to beat the "dream car" that costs $100,000+ ...... a little better won't get it done against dreams of the "good-life" where a new Porsche is as easy to buy for the reviewer as a new Camary is in reality.....that's a fantasy that puts the the more expensive Porsche in a lead before the engines are even fired up for a measured test.

Makes this review of the new Corvette as the better car just that much more impressive really.
This is the very thing that Porsche fans have been dealing with regarding the Ferrari hiearchy over Porsche. The Porsche fans would always remind us Ferrari owners of the track dominance of Porsche over Ferrari. Of course we would just smile and watch the crowds gather around the Ferrari to drool while nobody paid any attention to the homely Porsche. Now that Corvette dominates both Ferrari and Porsche on the track, they have to quantify their purchase with touchy feely subjective analysis. The Car and Driver test mentions how the 911 simply disappears in the presence of the C7, yet the author gives the Porsche a 10 vs 8 for the Corvette in the exterior styling subjective ratings. That clearly makes no sense at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car and Driver Test C7 vs 911