C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Allocation system, timing of purchase....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Br0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Allocation system, timing of purchase....

Ok....to those that are very familiar with the allocation system:

This past Saturday i placed my order at a dealer in Houston that is supposed to be one of the larger volume corvette dealers in Houston. They were allotted around 40-45 vettes for the first round of allocations. They told me that they were most likely now on their second round of allocations because they had about 74 people on the list so far.

I put down my $1000 refundable deposit, will be paying MSRP and they placed my order in GM workbench and i recieved order number, etc.

Now, they told me since i'm prob on the second round of allocations, i will recieve my car NO LATER than June, 2014, but "most likely eariler than that." However, since then i have read that the first round of allocations should extend from 6-9 months from initial production starting....SO....

1. Does this mean that my dealer has allocations for 40 cars and those 40 will come in spread out over 6-9 months? So my order wont even be accepted by GM until the inital 6-9 months is over? And if so, why did he tell me 9 months at latest...it seems he is saying i will get within the first 6-9 month period?

2. IF i dont get my car until mid-end 2nd quarter 2014, do you guys think people will still be paying MSRP at that point? Spring/summer 2014 and still paying MSRP?

Basically, i feel as though i might be paying what people paid to get into the intial allocations, only to actually recieve my car after the intial allocations when it is easier to get anyway. But i also feel as though there may be running lists for a LONG while, so maybe it was a good idea to go ahead and get my name on the list now.

What are you guy's thoughts on this? All help MUCH appreciated!!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not firm on what you would buy I would hang around a few dealers and pounce on a car that the deal went sour.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Br0
Ok....to those that are very familiar with the allocation system:

This past Saturday i placed my order at a dealer in Houston that is supposed to be one of the larger volume corvette dealers in Houston. They were allotted around 40-45 vettes for the first round of allocations. They told me that they were most likely now on their second round of allocations because they had about 74 people on the list so far.

I put down my $1000 refundable deposit, will be paying MSRP and they placed my order in GM workbench and i recieved order number, etc.

Now, they told me since i'm prob on the second round of allocations, i will recieve my car NO LATER than June, 2014, but "most likely eariler than that." However, since then i have read that the first round of allocations should extend from 6-9 months from initial production starting....SO....

1. Does this mean that my dealer has allocations for 40 cars and those 40 will come in spread out over 6-9 months? So my order wont even be accepted by GM until the inital 6-9 months is over? And if so, why did he tell me 9 months at latest...it seems he is saying i will get within the first 6-9 month period? He will basically be able to order on average 4 cars per month through May.

2. IF i dont get my car until mid-end 2nd quarter 2014, do you guys think people will still be paying MSRP at that point? Spring/summer 2014 and still paying MSRP?

Basically, i feel as though i might be paying what people paid to get into the intial allocations, only to actually recieve my car after the intial allocations when it is easier to get anyway. But i also feel as though there may be running lists for a LONG while, so maybe it was a good idea to go ahead and get my name on the list now.

What are you guy's thoughts on this? All help MUCH appreciated!!
If your dealer was told they have 40 allocations, that is for the first 9 months of production. If he has entered orders (or has slots full waiting for the allocations to come up in the system) these will be spread over the initial 9 months of production. Production started in August so these initial allocations will run through May of 2014 build weeks.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Br0
Instructor

Ok, thanks guys. So it appears the second round of allocations will not begin until may or so...and i am assuming by that point that production will have fully ramped up and the car *should* be readily available on the standard 6-8 weeks production time....?

I am wondering if the 2nd round of allocations will be unlimited production amounts or what, or if there will still be lists at that point?

What are you guys' thoughts on paying MSRP at the spring/summer of next year?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:04 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Br0
Ok, thanks guys. So it appears the second round of allocations will not begin until may or so...and i am assuming by that point that production will have fully ramped up and the car *should* be readily available on the standard 6-8 weeks production time....?

I am wondering if the 2nd round of allocations will be unlimited production amounts or what, or if there will still be lists at that point?

What are you guys' thoughts on paying MSRP at the spring/summer of next year?
I think a lot is still riding on the initial launch cars and their perceived quality. I would expect their to still be some waiting lists for lower volume dealerships and I would think it is going to be a little while before there are more than a few on dealer lots for sale. Even with that, I don't think that there are going to be deep discounts before the next model year cars are announced and only then if there are some significant improvements/changes.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

For me a 14 anything that gets trumped in July by the 15 model....... is not worth the deal. I made my mind up if I could not get the car in 13 I'd wait for a 15 next year.

I'll admit there is a value to me to have one of the first new C7s......... but say 6 months out I expect them to be dealing...........but there will be a price increase.

Good adivce to look for a car in inventory.......they are out there...... if you are not too picky.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Br0
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
For me a 14 anything that gets trumped in July by the 15 model....... is not worth the deal. I made my mind up if I could not get the car in 13 I'd wait for a 15 next year.

I'll admit there is a value to me to have one of the first new C7s......... but say 6 months out I expect them to be dealing...........but there will be a price increase.

Good adivce to look for a car in inventory.......they are out there...... if you are not too picky.

Ya, that makes good sense, and i have thought about getting a '14 that late as opposed to waiting a little longer for a '15.

Why do you think there will be a price increase?

I am pretty picky, and if im getting a car like this, i will not compromise on what i want, so dealer stock is a long shot.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Br0
Ya, that makes good sense, and i have thought about getting a '14 that late as opposed to waiting a little longer for a '15.

I am pretty picky, and if im getting a car like this, i will not compromise on what i want, so dealer stock is a long shot.
It's been pretty standard in previous model years that once production has settled out and actual costs associated with producing the car balance out that there is a 2 to 3 percent price increase mid-first year. Further, there is typically a price increase for the next model year.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Br0

Historically there is a price increase almost every year.

I think the C7 is under priced and it was marketed that way.

I bought a 13 C6 and now have a C7 coming both 2LTs. Almost same car except the 13 is a Grand Sport.

C7 stickered $2K less then the C6.

Just my guess.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Br0
Instructor

Ah, ok ya I am aware of the typical price increase year to year, but didnt know about the 2-3% increase mid-year.

I wonder at what point during the order your car counts against the increase...hmm. As in, if im at 3000 status and price increase hits, do i pay it. I would assume you eat the price increase at any point unless you have literally already bought the car. So even if the car hits the lot, and there is an increase that day, when you get the dealer you must pay that increase.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 935 Likes on 489 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Br0
Ah, ok ya I am aware of the typical price increase year to year, but didnt know about the 2-3% increase mid-year.

I wonder at what point during the order your car counts against the increase...hmm. As in, if im at 3000 status and price increase hits, do i pay it. I would assume you eat the price increase at any point unless you have literally already bought the car. So even if the car hits the lot, and there is an increase that day, when you get the dealer you must pay that increase.
Most mfrs will price protect anything where an order is written and in the system.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Allocation system, timing of purchase....

Quick Reply: Questions about Allocation system, timing of purchase....