Sponsored by:

CNET Reviews the C7

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default CNET Reviews the C7

I must admit I used to consider CNET car review at about the same level as Consumer Reports. But their reviewer, Brian Cooley has gotten better over the years as he gains more experience.

I also find that he looks beyond the "technology" and now gets more into the driveability. Since I, like 99% of all Corvette buyers, look at the car mostly from a transportation standpoint, reviews by hotshoes like Randy Pobst don't mean that much to me. I really don't relate to how well a car makes the transition into turn 11 at Laguna Seca as I have no frame of reference. Fun to read about, but not much help for me in deciding if its worth trading my 08 vert on a new C7 once the dust settles.

There's so much hype surrounding the launch of the C7 it took Cooley's review to get me thinking about the differences between the C6 and C7, beyond of course, the styling.

When I switched from my 04 CE to the 08 vert the big differences were the A6 trans vs the old A4, the improvement in steering and, of course, the big increase in power. Given the basic layout of the car, suspension, engine placement, trans placement, etc. were more alike than different, I didn't feel the handling was enormously different. Yes, reducing the overhangs made some difference, but it wasn't dramatic.

For my normal driving the seats were fine and the quality of the materials used was certainly adequate. I can understand the C7 uses different foam in the seats and now has a metal frame rather than plastic and the seat is much better. Heck, my wife just got an IS 250 and it has a better seat but nevertheless, I never felt the C6 seat was a showstopper.

Now Mr. Cooley, clearly not wanting to be off the bandwagon, loves the C7 but remarks that it still has that same Corvette dna. And that's not a bad thing. Same basic layout, same A6, a few more HP, a few more bells and whistles, but not a mid-engine, double clutch, coil overs, $50k 458 Italia. And that's OK too. A Corvette is what it is and that ain't bad!

The transition from C3 to C4 was big. I had a 74 and went to a 94. Big difference between my 94 and my 04, big step up in ergonomics and chassis. C5 to C6, some nice improvements but I could have kept the 04. C6 to C7, I can wait.

But I was actually thinking of letting a dealer make $9,000 selling me a C7, I've been talked off that ledge.

Its likely I'll buy one in a year or two but for now, I don't realistically believe the new car is something I can't wait a couple of years to own. I'm not feeling as deprived as I was before I got a little perspective.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jimb100
...Its likely I'll buy one in a year or two but for now, I don't realistically believe the new car is something I can't wait a couple of years to own. I'm not feeling as deprived as I was before I got a little perspective.
My sentiments exactly. Especially with a new '13 GS in my garage.

I can easily wait a few years. Give GM time to iron out a few bugs, add a few goodies, and start discounting the price.

I'm loathed to pay MSRP for anything!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Same here I like my GS so waiting a few years is no problem
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Boozman
Same here I like my GS so waiting a few years is no problem
Beautiful car, and very nicely composed photo, except for the light pole that appears to be growing out of it's roof.

I removed it for you, you can lift this one here if you'd like.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

I can wait a few years also. I have my car setup just as I like it.

..........some day i'll get blown!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

If you have a relatively new C6, I don't think you were the target market anyway....

Its the C5, C4... and never owned a Vette Folks that are in the cross hairs.

If you can wait, great... I am glad you didn't waste your money, yet, on something you didn't need!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't it be great to actually have a link to the real CNET review, since that is what the title promises?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Some people here say the C6 is dated; well I'm in the market for a C7 and I don't think my current C6 is dated. The design is still fresh and I get comments where ever I take it, being Victory Red doesn't hurt. Just the other day, high school let out early and I just happened by, there was considerable I like your car/great car, called out. Someone called it a Cooper, in jest. Yesterday someone ask if my C6 was the new Corvette he read about. Just adds to the experience.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Some people here say the C6 is dated; well I'm in the market for a C7 and I don't think my current C6 is dated. The design is still fresh and I get comments where ever I take it, being Victory Red doesn't hurt. Just the other day, high school let out early and I just happened by, there was considerable I like your car/great car, called out. Someone called it a Cooper, in jest. Yesterday someone ask if my C6 was the new Corvette he read about. Just adds to the experience.
I'm sorry but an 8 yr old design is NOT fresh. Is it attractive? Certainly. Is it enjoyable? Of course. I own one also ('05 vert) but it is dated.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 AM
live2drive
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Wouldn't it be great to actually have a link to the real CNET review, since that is what the title promises?
LOL, indeed! Here is the video. Overall, a good review. First ten minutes or so is about the Stingray.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Magic123
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car but I will keep my ZR1.. for now...
Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 PM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that basket handle roof style is very dated, like 1980. But if I owned a 2011 GS and up I would not trade ,cause of the hit I would take on depreciation . A $56000 C7 does not have a $8K mark up. You are way off if you think 99% of corvette buyers only buy for simple transportation . Maybe you do but a hell of a lot don't.

That Brian Cooley is kind of goofy

Last edited by 450hp mike9; 09-30-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:12 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by live2drive
LOL, indeed! Here is the video. Overall, a good review. First ten minutes or so is about the Stingray.

2014 Corvette Stingray: America's Supercar (CNET On Cars, Episode 26) - YouTube
Thank you!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the justification bias present. Why do all of you later model C6 owners need to tell us you're keeping your cars and post pictures of them? If we wanted to look at the old model we'd be in the C6 forums. I love the C6, but never saw enough of a reason to move from my C5. The later widebody cars were great, but they got expensive quick and the new model was on the horizon. Now, I'd rather spend my $60k on the C7. Same thing happened when the C6 came out... many C5 guys were "meh", but a bunch of C4 guys who hadn't warmed up to the C5 were all about it.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Magic123
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont agree.. them flip up lights on the C5 are ugly as ****.... and still are....

Get notified of new replies

To CNET Reviews the C7

Quick Reply: CNET Reviews the C7