Sponsored by:

Trade-In Anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:45 AM
AZvetteC7
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade-In Anxiety

Can't wait to get my hands on my new C7/ Car is at 4D00 and my dealer already has the invoice. My fear is what they are going to give me for my 2007 C6, 1LT, Lemans Blue/Ebony, 55Kmi.

Is it reasonable to expect an offer within a couple $K of KBB Trade-in or NADA Trade-In? They both estimate around $25K. The Auto Trader instant offer is more of what I expect the dealer to offer, around $20K.

I know that i'm going to want to jump in my C7 and drive off into the sunset but I don't want to leave thousands of $$ on the table. I'm not sure how much leverage I have and don't want to sell it myself.

Any negotiated ideas. Have any of you faced this same dilemma?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

You will most likely get the lowest price for your car if you trade it to the dealer. If the dealer is going to make money on your trade he has to pay you less than the going price for your car. If you will not sell on your own, you will get below retail for your car. I sold my 2007 on Auto Trader in seven days for $3,500 more than the highest offer I was given by a dealer. You have no leverage if you trade-in a car on an MSRP new car.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

You need to first factor in the value of your C6 (20k to 25k) times your state's sales tax. Use that cost added to the price you realize in a private sale or trade-in to the dealer. At this point I would think the dealer is in a much stronger position as he has the C7 optioned specifically by you. And you need a buyer for your C7 fast, unless you have the time and/or funds for your C7. Good Luck with your negotiation.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:16 AM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 91 Posts

Things you should have been thinking about the last few months...

In my eyes, this is the penalty you must pay for keeping your C6 till the day your C7 arrives. Other members sold their car months ago in perpetration and got thousands more over trade-in prices, when they had the summer driving season in their favor.

In Maryland, we have a trade in sales tax credit so you only pay sales tax on the difference of the new car minus the trade in value. At 5% Sales Tax, that would be a savings of $1000 on your $20000 trade in, which does help offset their low trade in offer.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 AM
irpete
Instructor

Another option is Car Max. It's not going to get you a private sell price but from my experience I've always got a better offer than what the dealer was willing to do on a trade in. I usually take my old car to Car Max for their free written 7 day purchase offer and then take it to the dealer. Sometimes the dealer will match it but if not, I have a good fall back plan.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:22 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
You will most likely get the lowest price for your car if you trade it to the dealer. If the dealer is going to make money on your trade he has to pay you less than the going price for your car. If you will not sell on your own, you will get below retail for your car. I sold my 2007 on Auto Trader in seven days for $3,500 more than the highest offer I was given by a dealer. You have no leverage if you trade-in a car on an MSRP new car.
I disagree with this. I would stress to the dealer that he is making ~$8K off of me on the new car purchase so he should work with me on my trade. Since he is making a nice chunk of change on the new car sale I would demand a good trade value
Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

In Ga. you pay taxes on the difference . So $58000 -$30000 =$ $28000 x 6.5 tax=$1820 that is a saving of $1950 in taxes . Therefore I would need to get $31950 from a private buyer. I did the trade on 9/4 so my trade was a little higher then now. I feel the car would have been worth 31K to 32K to a private buyer. I went back and forth to get more for my car. The new car manager put some more money in since they were selling @ MSRP .They ate around $750 to do the deal. The 07 Shelby GT500 held it's value pretty well , I paid $32k a year ago and got $31500 on trade. including the tax saving's.

Last edited by 450hp mike9; 09-29-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AZvetteC7
Can't wait to get my hands on my new C7/ Car is at 4D00 and my dealer already has the invoice. My fear is what they are going to give me for my 2007 C6, 1LT, Lemans Blue/Ebony, 55Kmi.

Is it reasonable to expect an offer within a couple $K of KBB Trade-in or NADA Trade-In? They both estimate around $25K. The Auto Trader instant offer is more of what I expect the dealer to offer, around $20K.

I know that i'm going to want to jump in my C7 and drive off into the sunset but I don't want to leave thousands of $$ on the table. I'm not sure how much leverage I have and don't want to sell it myself.

Any negotiated ideas. Have any of you faced this same dilemma?
yep... they kind of have you in between a rock and a hard place .new c7 setting there and then theres your car ....best thing i can tell you is if you can't get what you want for yours or within reason tell them you will walk on the deal.....good luck hope you get what you want.......its not like these are the only c7 they will make.i'm sure it will work out for you
Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by sajonf
I disagree with this. I would stress to the dealer that he is making ~$8K off of me on the new car purchase so he should work with me on my trade. Since he is making a nice chunk of change on the new car sale I would demand a good trade value
There is nothing wrong with what you suggest. I just do not believe most dealers are going to agree to it. If they know you are not going to sell on your own, they have little reason to high ball your trade. Especially on an MSRP deal as they know your price for the new car will be the same at every dealer you go to. At least until mid next year.

Anyway, your suggestion is most likely the good option if the OP will not sell privately.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

It just doesn't work that way. The used car department has to pay a sales guy and turn a profit for their department.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
There is nothing wrong with what you suggest. I just do not believe most dealers are going to agree to it. If they know you are not going to sell on your own, they have little reason to high ball your trade. Especially on an MSRP deal as they know your price for the new car will be the same at every dealer you go to. At least until mid next year.

Anyway, your suggestion is most likely the good option if the OP will not sell privately.
I guess what I am saying is, you have a lot better chance of getting a better trade value than if you are buying below invoice.. The dealer has a lot more wiggle room when they are making several thousand on the new car
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 AM
AZvetteC7
Heel & Toe

All good advice. I will be reminding the dealer that they made $8000 on the C7. I don't expect "retail" I just want to be near the trade-in.

I'll also play the future Vette purchase, dealership loyalty card, for whatever that is worth.

I didn't sell to the public this time because I have done that on previous Vettes and had way too many "tire-kickers" that just wanted to drive a Vette. I know that costs me money but worth it to me.

The sales tax benefit is pretty large in Arizona, about 9%. So that 2000 bucks will help ease the pain but my dealer is fully aware of that too. I'll check CarMax just to have a floor for my negotiation.

I'm curious what others have gotten in trade compared to "Trade-In". For those of you lucky enough to have gotten your C7 delivered.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
It just doesn't work that way. The used car department has to pay a sales guy and turn a profit for their department.
Not true - they work together. They can shuffle money across departments. I have seen it done with my previous deals
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
yep... they kind of have you in between a rock and a hard place .new c7 setting there and then theres your car ....best thing i can tell you is if you can't get what you want for yours or within reason tell them you will walk on the deal.....good luck hope you get what you want.......its not like these are the only c7 they will make.i'm sure it will work out for you

You're setting yourself up to be doubly screwed. Low balled on your trade and paying sticker price on the new one. If it doesn't work out I can almost guarantee that by next year there will be discounts on the C7 and you'll be able to strike a better deal when the lots are full of them.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:40 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZvetteC7
All good advice. I will be reminding the dealer that they made $8000 on the C7. I don't expect "retail" I just want to be near the trade-in.

I'll also play the future Vette purchase, dealership loyalty card, for whatever that is worth.

I didn't sell to the public this time because I have done that on previous Vettes and had way too many "tire-kickers" that just wanted to drive a Vette. I know that costs me money but worth it to me.

The sales tax benefit is pretty large in Arizona, about 9%. So that 2000 bucks will help ease the pain but my dealer is fully aware of that too. I'll check CarMax just to have a floor for my negotiation.

I'm curious what others have gotten in trade compared to "Trade-In". For those of you lucky enough to have gotten your C7 delivered.
It's definitely a good idea to check CarMax's price. I have done it previously before trading a vehicle and it's a good sanity check to establish a baseline. They are pretty fair with their evaluations and it's a pretty quick and easy process too - they get you in and out pretty quick and their offer stands for 7 days in case you can't get what they offer from the dealer you can take it back and sell it to them
Old 09-29-2013, 09:46 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

we buy any vette just offered me 35,800 for my 013 base 2lt with 3450 miles on it. too me i think it's kind of a low offer on a car i bought back in january. i was thinking more like 40 grand, at least. any thoughts on this?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 AM
sckennedy52
Intermediate

For what it's worth, I just sold my 07 coupe with 26k miles, 3LT, Z51, perfect condition to a private party for $29k. I was hoping to get $32k, but when I looked at NADA & Black Book values (KBB is inflated and not reflective of the market), my trade-in downside was $23-25K. Car went to a great retired gentleman, his first Vette, and I think I came out ahead $4-6k over what I would have gotten on a trade-in.

Win-Win in my book.

Good luck with yours.

Get notified of new replies

To Trade-In Anxiety

Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

When I go for a new car, I have the deal in my mind before even talking with the dealer. The purchase price is always closer to my price then the dealer's.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

What? You would demand. That is interesting. Do you think the dealer is concerned about your demands? do you think he can't sell the car to some one else? Good luck with your "demands".
Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 AM
1wicked
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

did you try to sell outright first? I would never do a trade in, they never seem to do you right. I always have sold my car as a private seller and then buy the new one. Good luck though to you, I think i would have had trade in pricing set up prior to placing the order, otherwise i would have gone elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Trade-In Anxiety