The First 100 miles A non-Z51 perspective

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Litumup411
A couple of questions that I didn't address:

Regarding the self-leveling headlights, I don't believe the car has this since they did not make any movement upon start-up, and they don't lead around corners like some of the Japanese cars do. I didn't pay too much attention to The rpm's at 75. Quite honestly, it was dark, and I was really trying to concentrate on the road. I didn't want to be that guy that wrecks his car on his initial drive home. I did mention about the four-cylinder mode, and there is a little bit of shake in the drivetrain. For me, it was very noticeable when it switched to four-cylinder mode, but if you added just a little acceleration, it switched pretty quickly back to v8 mode. I don't think it's something that I'll use much. Cornering wise, the car handled maybe a little better than my Porsche Panamera that I used to drive on a regular basis. The ride is very similar, but surprisingly a little less road noise. I didn't feel the car was leaning at all, but the seats are so spectacular that they may compensate.
Interesting report.

Is a little surprising that the C7 does not have yet HID auto leveling system, in todays modern cars that is basically standard equipment.

Does the C7 display timer measures 0-60 or 0-100 mph times?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

I just picked up my car last night from the great guys at Kerbeck, and I thought I would give my impression of the ride home.

I averaged about 28 miles per gallon cruising at a steady 75. It was pretty interesting using the rev match feature on the car. Around town it was neat to have it almost shift for me, which made all of the traffic lights in Atlantic City a little more bearable.

Seven gears, I don't know. I did a Lot of 4–7 shifting. I think it will take some getting used to.

For those of you who were wondering whether the ride would be too floaty, it's not. It is well damped and the steering is very communicative. I'm no hot shoe, and I'm not one of those guys that likes to take his cars to the track, but I do love a good on-ramp. The car handled flawlessly. After the two hour ride home, even though it was late, my body was not tired getting out of the driver seat. The seats are an amazing improvement.

I really didn't step into it to see how powerful the car is, but I did run a yellow light in fifth gear at about 1000 RPMs with no problem.

I was a little worried at first that I did not get the Z 51 suspension since that seems to be all the rage with the car magazines, But for those of you who did order the standard suspension, you won't be disappointed.

I know it's been a long wait for some of you, but as anxious as I was, once you get your car, none of that will matter.

I have some great pictures, but if someone can help me to post them I'll do that. They're just on my iPad now.
Nice read. I drove my neighbor's wife's base A6 today for about 10 miles. She just got it this morning. Since it had low mileage,
I just touched 60. I drove over all the pot holes, man holes and bumps I could find. I drove over some really bumpy rail road crossings at about 40 and swerved over them, twice. I swear, the C7 has lost it's American car feel. This is where German cars really shine. The base car's shocks are superbly tuned. The lighter wheels and tires and hollow A arms have done their magic. I went over every frequency bump that I knew and the shocks coped flawlessly. This is the refinement we have been looking for. Imagine how C7s will be in 5 years.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
I drove my neighbor's wife's base A6 today for about 10 miles. She just got it this morning. Since it had low mileage,
I just touched 60. I drove over all the pot holes, man holes and bumps I could find. I drove over some really bumpy rail road crossings at about 40 and swerved over them, twice. I swear, the C7 has lost it's American car feel. This is where German cars really shine. The base car's shocks are superbly tuned. The lighter wheels and tires and hollow A arms have done their magic. I went over every frequency bump that I knew and the shocks coped flawlessly. This is the refinement we have been looking for. Imagine how C7s will be in 5 years.
That is one of the comments I've been waiting for. I hope others will address this as well. John
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

It was great to meet you too, Brian. I think that is the best thing about this forum, a bunch of crazy motorheads who love cars. Is there anything better?
It truly made my weekend. Hope dinner was good and you enjoy the cigar

Here are some pics of Litumup411's fresh ride (had to have less than 10 miles on it)...thanks again for the gracious pit stop.

Side note...My neighbor comes over to my house this morning and says "Dude, I saw a friggen awesome looking White C7 drving thru town last night!!! That was you!
Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Nice review, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 PM
C7 101 car
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
Interesting report.

Is a little surprising that the C7 does not have yet HID auto leveling system, in todays modern cars that is basically standard equipment.

Does the C7 display timer measures 0-60 or 0-100 mph times?
It displays 0-60.
I tried it once in tour mode and not getting on it all the way it showed 4.4 secs.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:52 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious to know if the wheels are the painted silver or the machined aluminum and what options did you get? Performance exhaust?? Looks like 2LT with Kalahari?? if Kalahari, were you happy with the color?

Last edited by bevo_87; 09-28-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinJohn
That is one of the comments I've been waiting for. I hope others will address this as well. John
One thing I noticed was a lot of roll, less squat and dive geometry than the C6 which in some ways is a good thing. You even see it on the Z51 test cars. There is no ARB at the back other than the leaf spring doing it's thing. Tanner Faust did a video and tried to match the nannies on a Z51 with MRC and found that the sport setting instead of the track setting on the rough Detroit streets, he went faster. Also, he was able to keep his foot on the gas while the nannie feathered the gas which gave him a slightly faster time.
GM will keep on tuning the 3 suspensions over the next few years also. The comparison test with the F12, the P4S and the C7, the Vette was .24 secs slower than the Ferrari.
The factory boys set the pre production car to production specs and promptly beat the Ferrari time. Motor trend would not accept this time and there was not enough time for MT to put their instrumentation on the car and let their driver run.
I would prefer controlling roll with a Porsche set up but that adds more expense and mass. Sway bars alter spring rates and cause binding but are a necessary evil.
It will be great to see a road test on the stock C7 with and without an A6.
The LaFerrari is getting ready to run the Ring this week. Won't it be great if the C7 (undercover) beats it next year like the Z06 beat the Enzo?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Our last 3 Corvettes have all been Z51, and we're happy with that.
But we have many people in our club, including even some autocrossers, who bought a base C5 or C6 and are quite content with their choice. They give up a little handling but get a more comfortable ride, which is the compromise they wanted.

One size does NOT fit all.
Right. My base C6 rides like a Rolls-Royce compared to the S2000 and especially the S2000 CR I used to have. If you only want a cool-looking soft-riding DD that handles pretty well when you need it to, there's no need to spend money on sport suspensions.

Then there's those like me. Even though the CR would loosen fillings when it hit divots at interstate speeds, I'd much rather have the tighter handling that goes with it. I expect the C7 Z51/FE4 will have great handling with better highway manners, so I'm saving up another $4,600.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Not a fact. I never had any disenchantment or a second thought about the Z51 or Z06 (I test drove both) after I bought my '05 w/MR. I suspect if anyone who buys a base Stingray wants to stiffen things up, adding a rear anti-sway or a more stout front anti-sway will be available options either from GM or the aftermarket.
Very true.^^^ I have read many posts on the last few gens' forums, and there is a miniscule amount of "I wish I had..." posters. Doesn't happen. Maybe to the one poster who wrote above, it has, but not others.

And as said above, the aftermarket parts for Corvettes is pretty extensive. It doesn't mean a car becomes something else, but anything can be improved or, at the very least, changed.

I also appreciate the OP's post of impressions, as well as a wonderful stable of cars.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Not a fact. I never had any disenchantment or a second thought about the Z51 or Z06 (I test drove both) after I bought my '05 w/MR. I suspect if anyone who buys a base Stingray wants to stiffen things up, adding a rear anti-sway or a more stout front anti-sway will be available options either from GM or the aftermarket.
I have C6Z but all my other Vettes I've gone the base suspension route. I drove a C6 vert' with Z51 and the ride just flat-out sucked. Way too harsh for the roads in the Northeast. (can you say "bump steer?) I like having the base springs paired up with a set of oversized sway bars. Keeps the compliant ride with extra flat cornering.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Nice car, but i will take the one in the garage...lol
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Congrats! Beautiful C7!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Beautiful ride - congrats and good luck!!

Thanks for the write-up and confirmation of my decision to stick with the base suspension.

AND to the poster who said you'll have buyers remorse or say "wish I had the Z51, etc if you don't order it.". Maybe you've had it, but I take these decisions seriously and do my homework. PLUS being pretty secure, I really don't care what others say or think...

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 09-28-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Spulbus2013
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... the white looks pretty sharp. I like those wheels and the big red calpers all seem to go well with the white & black scheme.

How about a picture or two of the new C7 with the 66 GT40? Wow, that GT is a nice car.
Agreed. Hahaha, GT is a sex machine for sure
Old 09-28-2013, 11:02 PM
RickDI
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaka
Nice read. I drove my neighbor's wife's base A6 today for about 10 miles. She just got it this morning. Since it had low mileage,
What were your impressions of the automatic transmission?
Old 09-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,913 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
Interesting report.

I don't think it would do much. There is no back seat, trailer hitch, or other heavy loads to put the headlights skyward, the springs are pretty stiff.

Michael

Get notified of new replies

To The First 100 miles A non-Z51 perspective

Old 09-29-2013, 02:06 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I don't think it would do much. There is no back seat, trailer hitch, or other heavy loads to put the headlights skyward, the springs are pretty stiff.

Michael
Yeah probably the auto leveling system is more usefull if you are going up or down a hill or roads that have elevation changes. Were the system maintains the beam properly level and less blinding for upcoming drivers in those situations.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:59 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

It's always difficult to get an accurate read on what the different suspensions are like. All these reports help. Usually the base suspensions are softer riding, but give up in handling vs the Z51 type suspensions. Sounds like the Z51/MRSC will handle the best with the E-LSD and all the computerized integration, but may be a little stiffer than the base suspension even in the softest setting. For many of us in the decision process, cost of the Z51/MRSC is not a big factor and of course for others, cost is a huge factor as all their decisions are primarily ruled by the buck, although they say it's not about the money. It's about the money. One just has to read between the lines to see where the poster is coming from.

Last edited by musclecar6; 09-29-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:54 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,235 Likes on 13,934 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on getting your C7 - enjoy the new ride and thanks for posting up your review of the car.

Quick Reply: The First 100 miles A non-Z51 perspective