Sponsored by:

Dual Clutch Technology?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:23 AM
CasperDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Clutch Technology?

Maybe................................... ......

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/27/g...-for-corvette/

Is it the way of the future and the biggest step the Corvette will take in it's illustrious career.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Can't wait i think is coming is just a matter of time.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If the 2014 C7 had a one i wouldnt have bought 2014 911. They are that good/fun!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Huh. Not the ones I've driven. "Fun" (for me) comes from the successful execution of something that requires skill/talent. Flippy-floppping plastic paddles isn't that. Faster? Yes, a DCT is faster. More fun? Highly debatable, I'd submit. Depends on your personality; if you like your fun handed to you, then DCT is more fun. If you like to earn your fun, it's not.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 AM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Huh. Not the ones I've driven. "Fun" (for me) comes from the successful execution of something that requires skill/talent. Flippy-floppping plastic paddles isn't that. Faster? Yes, a DCT is faster. More fun? Highly debatable, I'd submit. Depends on your personality; if you like your fun handed to you, then DCT is more fun. If you like to earn your fun, it's not.
I was in very strong agreement with you until I spent two days in a Radical with a DCT. I am now a convert. I will always own at least one car with a stands manual for the reasons you state, but if they release the hi po version of the C7 with a DCT, I am trading in my ZR1.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:48 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ion-filed.html

Let's hope this gets closed before Shaka sees it...
Old 09-28-2013, 11:59 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it the way of the future and the biggest step the Corvette will take in it's illustrious career
Now that is quite a claim and I would argue that a dct would be less of a step than say moving the trans to the rear in the c5. What would be huge for the corvette would be awd. The dct is not going to make the car much faster. Corvette's need traction. Imagine a zr1 with awd...easily sub 3 second 60 times. BTW I am not advocating awd as it will make the car weigh 4,000 lbs. I think a lot of folks assume the benefits of dct without considering most of these cars have mid or rear mount engines and awd, ie most of the acceleration is coming from extra traction rather than the quick shift times of the dct.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I've driven the 911 with a DCT. It's a good execution, but the novelty fades fast when you realize it is just a good automatic.

I'd rather GM put their development money into building a turbo small block V8. That would be a huge performance boost for the dollar.

Michael
Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a DCT is boring, your not going fast enough!!!!

I sure Mags, Tommy and Johnny O wish they had old timey transmission........ The Corvette forum, the old ways die hard around here.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Not sure whether we'll see one or not in the 7. They may just go with a very good 8 speed torque converter auto down the road (and some of those are very good).
Old 09-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

DCT is long overdue. The freakin' Dodge Dart has one.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:51 PM
CasperDog
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Now that is quite a claim and I would argue that a dct would be less of a step than say moving the trans to the rear in the c5. What would be huge for the corvette would be awd. The dct is not going to make the car much faster. Corvette's need traction. Imagine a zr1 with awd...easily sub 3 second 60 times. BTW I am not advocating awd as it will make the car weigh 4,000 lbs. I think a lot of folks assume the benefits of dct without considering most of these cars have mid or rear mount engines and awd, ie most of the acceleration is coming from extra traction rather than the quick shift times of the dct.
I completely respect the opinion of others however these are only opinions. I will apply common sense and the infinite knowledge of others. For instance.......

Mid engine cars are nothing new however the Ring times registered by the Porsche 918 Spyder and McLaren P1 (in a street car) certainly are. One could argue the times are a result of hybrid technology (in high performance cars) and they may in fact be correct however I think (another opinion) it has much to do with high performance DCT technology. Given a well balanced car, plenty of torque, and a well built DCT I would bet my bottom $$ a manual car couldnt come close to matching the times we will see in the coming years (via high tech DCT's). Outside of the rear engine design Porsche arguably designs some of the finest sports cars known to man. Given some due credit why would they now offer only DCT automobiles? Of course, 2.5 second 0-60 times could and probably are due (in part) to AWD however I would also argue that couldnt be obtained w/o the use of a DCT. DCT's are the wave of the future and further maintain all respected sports cars in the very near future will be so equipped. Just my opinion......................

BTW: I will always keep a manual shift however it will be sitting right next to the DCT.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What I see in the c8 is mid rear engine design and a dct. I don't see the c7 getting one when zf 8sp is going to replace the 6sp auto. When tadge said corvette owners didn't want a dct, that's a big lie. He could of just told us it was too expensive to meet the price point.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

That's was a very good opinion. It is time to accept changes in life and stop being so old school all of the time. Something is going to happen no matter what we say or do regarding transmission upgrades. I had my C6 at the drag track before. I would call myself an average driver. However, an average driver in an automatic could probably kit my butt everytime through the quarter mile. I saw the video between the 911 S and C7 comparison. The 911S launch was amazing. The manual shift for the C7 just did not work out that well. I believe an C7 automatic would have done just a little better.....perhaps. The 911S sounded like it had a aftermarket stall. It doesn't appear that the C7 had managed the claimed 3.8 second 0-60 mph. Let's just put it this way......it can't be done by the average person. Bottom line we need a change in the transmission department. Just my.02
Old 09-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Fore58
Let's just put it this way......it can't be done by the average person.
Come on now... Go to the track and practice. I am an average person, with a lot of track time, and can execute a shift in my Corvette in less than .2 seconds...and I didn't get to that point by sitting there saying, "I can't do it! Give a a DCT damn it!"

While I know that isn't as fast a shift as a DCT, it's plenty fast enough to smoke and auto-equipped car.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:56 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Really interesting comparison today on the tv show fifth gear.....check it out if you could...the PDK cayman vs manual cayman and in a straight line the PDK win...but in a road course three laps? Manual won...

PDK driver was a world rally champion..

The show starts off with a piece on the mcLaren if that helps you find it on velocity channel..

I dig PDK but since its not on the c7.....corvette buyers will have to make other choices...
Old 09-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ion-filed.html

Let's hope this gets closed before Shaka sees it...
Oh please God, not again. I can't take it anymore. What's the matter with them, GS? What part don't they understand? No Vette will get a DCT, not now, not ever.

Hey Casper, check out gear no. 14.

I'm still waiting for some wise guy to draw me a picture of the layout required for a Vette to have DCT. Must be somebody with all these geniuses around.

" High tech DCT", " Tadge is a Liar", " The old ways die hard around here", " A Dodge Dart has one", " The way of the future", "Mid engine C8 DCT", " Matter of time", " Radical DCT convert", " DTC is long over due", " A well built DCT", and the best one of all, " I would argue that a dct would be less of a step than say moving the trans to the rear in the c5."

And the thread has just begun.

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Clutch Technology?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

[QUOTE=Tom400CFI;1585035589]Come on now... Go to the track and practice. I am an average person, with a lot of track time, and can execute a shift in my Corvette in less than .2 seconds...and I didn't get to that point by sitting there saying, "I can't do it! Give a a DCT damn it!"

While I know that isn't as fast a shift as a DCT, it's plenty fast enough to smoke and auto-equipped car.[/QUOTE

Trust me, I had a thrill with both the Z06 C5 and C6 manual. But for drag racing.....in which I like, the manual just didn't cut it. Many of us would not admit anything about the clutch problems when drag racing with the manual. Furthermore, shifting is not the issue here.....it is the initial launch of the car we are talking about. I still believe that a bulk of us would rather keep the manual just for the old time pleasure....and I respect that. It is just time to move on.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

No sane person would argue that a dct is not faster everything else being the same. With the engine the c7 has you do not have to shift that often on most racetracks which negates the shift quickness advantage. Most euro cars need the quick multi speed trans to stay in the power band. If you have ever tracked a 500 hp vette you would know that there is always enough power, it is traction that is the limiting factor. BTW on a 170 mph straight there is never enough power or brakes. When you pull from 110 to 160 on a straightaway in 4th gear who cares how fast the Porsche's trans shifts because you are not even shifting...now that is fast...not needing to shift.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
No sane person would argue that a dct is not faster everything else being the same. With the engine the c7 has you do not have to shift that often on most racetracks which negates the shift quickness advantage. Most euro cars need the quick multi speed trans to stay in the power band. If you have ever tracked a 500 hp vette you would know that there is always enough power, it is traction that is the limiting factor. BTW on a 170 mph straight there is never enough power or brakes. When you pull from 110 to 160 on a straightaway in 4th gear who cares how fast the Porsche's trans shifts because you are not even shifting...now that is fast...not needing to shift.
Chuck...you nailed it. The corvette has so much power....the whole DCT thing is overblown.

I'd like to buy a DCT corvette but its not available so it boils down to either buy a sports car that offers a DCT or buy a corvette ..

Pick what suits you best....

I suggest the corvette is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Dual Clutch Technology?