Sponsored by:

Only 142 miles and I get a CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Macguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zipcode
So latest update is that my car is at this moment stuck in the car park of a supermarket in Burlington MA because I can't engage reverse... You really can't make this stuff up... Sigh
Aaaargh! I hope the dealer is local. What a hassle, hope things get resolved real soon.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
The old saying in the tech world - the early bird gets the bugs.
But the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM
zipcode
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi zipcode,

If you could shoot Kelly and I a PM with your contact info & VIN, we'll be able to start a case for you and document your situation. We'll keep an eye out for your PM!

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hi,

Tried to send you my contact but your PM box is full.

Not comfortable putting my contact details here but if you go to my on-star profile, you should have contact info there. If not, I'm sure Kerbeck has it on record too

Cheers

Last edited by zipcode; 10-02-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 PM
zipcode
Instructor

Hi Guys,

sorry I haven't had the chance to update the forum on progress, work just got super crazy and taking time off to send the car down to AC just made things worse.

So here's just a summary of events

Problems

1) @142 miles,
- CEL noted. on-star said something about transmission not communicating
- Gear indicator in dash did not display the gear I was in,
- rev match was not working
- transmission temp could not be read

2) ~142-500 miles
- CEL stayed on
- gear indicator worked on occasion and when it did, rev match worked
- transmission temp could be read and displayed on gauge cluster

3) ~ 500-700 miles
- CEL disappeared on occasion whenever I restart the car
- everything works well when CEL not present,
- when CEL was on, problems same as in point 1 above

4) ~700-900 miles
- CEL and transmission problems remained
- had a cop behind me, looked down and noticed speedo not displaying speed (both left side speedometer as well as digital readout on central gauge)
- restarted a few times no help but noticed that speed will display after driving car for a few miles/minutes
- called on-star, said codes related to transmission, emissions/exhaust and speedo and car needed to be brought in for service within 7 days
- could be mindf@cking myself after hearing the codes from on-star but think the exhaust baffles were not operating as they should have and I could not enter V4 mode no matter how light footed I was in Eco mode

5) ~900-1000 miles
- CEL, transmission and speedo problem remained. CEL never went away again
- parked car and noticed I could not get into reverse when I wanted to back out of the lot
- tried removing reverse lockout fuse and restarting car multiple times but not successful
- decided since forward gears still in play, to drive home rather than get stranded

6) ~1000-1162 miles
- CEL, transmission and speedo problem remained. CEL never went away again
- stopped for gas and tried reverse... managed to engage it
- got home and just before turning into garage, tried reverse again, no problems

7) ~1162 - 1300 miles
- CEL disappeared on start up but reappeared the moment I engaged first gear to move off
- CEL, transmission and speedo problem remained
- no reverse gear issues

Diagnosis/Resolution

1) 9/30/13
- Drove to AC to drop car with Kerbeck. Could not resolve in same day and was given rental car
- asked for the codes but the service manager Jessica said she would provide them to me in a printout when I collect the car (was busy so did not insist otherwise)
- End of Day 1: no diagnosis of root cause of problem. only that car had bunch of codes.
- wing mirror with chip could not be repainted as Kerbeck does not have the paint code yet
- scratches on rims - Sam the salesman promised to coordinate to try to get it addressed this time, if not will see to it when I send the car in again for the repainting of the wing mirror

2) 10/1/13
- 1500hr today: Jessica calls, says GM is working with them on this issue and that they think the problem is with the ECM and they're sending a new one over. TCM is fine. likely will only get the car Thurs/Fri

ok, will update more when I know more. back to work before this car gets me fired

Cheers

Last edited by zipcode; 10-01-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:27 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Hang in there. Hopefully the new ecm will do the trick and you'll be on the road with smiles.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM
RLK
Instructor

Yeiks!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

OP, thanks for the detailed report. A bum ECM would definitely cause the types of issues you’re having, except the reverse gear issue. It is not unusual on manual transmission cars to have to shift in & out of first gear on occasion before you can shift into reverse; not sure why that happens, but if that is what you need to do then I wouldn’t be concerned about that. OTOH, if you can’t get into reverse no matter what, then there is a problem that needs fixing
Old 10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the update.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Hang in there. Hopefully the new ecm will do the trick and you'll be on the road with smiles.
I think you have a connector that is making bad contact or a wiring harness that has an issue. If they just install a new ECM and the problem comes back you will know for sure.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:12 PM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is the ECM, thats pretty much how electronics fail-
they either fail very shortly after the are put into use or they fail very late into their lifespan.
Early fail is because of the nature of electronics, the internal defects will come out as the electricity/heat stresses the materials, and thats when they fail due to unseen defects. Late into usage is due to normal wear on the materials with the electricity/heating-cooling/vibrations (both from electrical thumping and environment) stressing the materials.
If that solves your problem, you will most likely have a trouble free experience in electronics as you enjoy your car. Electronic quality is extremely good today, but as you add more components, even if you have a 1 in a million failure rate someone is going to get it.
Keep us posted, because as I was watching this thread my hunch was that this was probably an electrical/electronic issue. And since you describe so many symptoms with no obvious relating cause, and the car is new, I'm betting the ECM is the issue.
In fact- if it is an ECM issue, I would hardly call this a ding on Chevy's rep or Q/C at the factory. Sometimes with electronics- it just happens. When it does its very obvious.
I once had a '84 caddy that would accelerate on its own. This was when GM moved to more electronics and the car was electronically controlled. Well after a few weeks, I was on the expressway and the gas pedal went down as the car was going at 60 and the car was accelerating. I actually felt the gas pedal leave my foot as if it was being depressed.
I put it in neutral, and moved to the shoulder. Then I turned the car off (while the car was in neutral and revving up and down) put in park, and started up. Car was fine but I went to the dealer and explained what happened.
The diagnosis was fuel injectors- so they replaced the injectors. I was skeptical, but I wasnt going to argue.
Two weeks later, same thing. Back to the dealer, and the diagnosis was the same. I argued it cant be, but they said the computer doesnt lie. (obviously they didnt know anything about HAL).
It was warranty work, so I couldnt argue. Again they replaced the injectors.
Yep, one week later, again the same issue.
This time, I told the dealer this- no the computer isnt lying- but if its malfunctioning its giving us the wrong info. Cant be three times injectors- replace the computer.
They got authorization from GM, and they did replace it.
I proceeded to drive that car for 120+k miles until the top gasket seals gave out.
Never had another problem with that car and I was sorry to give it up.
So I can understand the problem of having a balking ECM and how it points to the wrong issues.
Hope you get your car back and have the same luck I had back then.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Oh god... people are never going to change. I learned with my last c6z that there are things that you have to work around or understand.

Cars are machines and like ALL machines "**** happens" so handle it, enjoy it, and move on.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,

2) 10/1/13
- 1500hr today: Jessica calls, says GM is working with them on this issue and that they think the problem is with the ECM and they're sending a new one over. TCM is fine. likely will only get the car Thurs/Fri

ok, will update more when I know more. back to work before this car gets me fired

Cheers
Sounds like the technician is on the phone with GM Tech Assist. These electrical problems can be quite challenging to diagnose. Hopefully it gets fixed soon
Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyB
But the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

All the info here will definitely help lots of other owners in the future. Sorry you have to be the guiney pig with all this.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why I NEVER buy the first year of ANY vehicle.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck Zip...I hope it works out for you.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

ekkkk, transmission CEL code and still drive 1158 more miles?

Get notified of new replies

To Only 142 miles and I get a CEL

Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM
zipcode
Instructor

Diagnosis/Resolution

1) 9/30/13
- Drove to AC to drop car with Kerbeck. Could not resolve in same day and was given rental car
- asked for the codes but the service manager Jessica said she would provide them to me in a printout when I collect the car (was busy so did not insist otherwise)
- End of Day 1: no diagnosis of root cause of problem. only that car had bunch of codes.
- wing mirror with chip could not be repainted as Kerbeck does not have the paint code yet
- scratches on rims - Sam the salesman promised to coordinate to try to get it addressed this time, if not will see to it when I send the car in again for the repainting of the wing mirror

2) 10/1/13

Cheers
3) 10/2/2013
- received call from Jessica from Kerbeck, ECM swapped and problem of not being able to enter reverse has resolved.
- gear indicator and speedo problems still present and new sensors are now on order (GM says they need 48hr to get back to them on availability...)

not sure what the chances are that two separate electronic issues occurred... seems to me that they're treating the symptoms but have yet to identify the root cause, but hey, I'm no GM tech...

Looks like I'm not getting the car back anytime soon.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If it is anything like a c6 there is a wiring harness that runs back to the tranny/rear. That would have the plugs that connect the sensors in the rear diff/tranny up front to the ecu. Sounds like that could be pinched/damaged. It would make sense. C6s also have a reverse lockout solenoid on that harness which would prevent you from going into reverse. Sounds like the harness/wiring is messed up, not individual sensors assuming the c7 is similar to the c6.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Why I NEVER buy the first year of ANY vehicle.
Exactly. Because after that cars NEVER have ANY problems. They're all PERFECT!

Quick Reply: Only 142 miles and I get a CEL