rev matching question for owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default rev matching question for owners

Any of you guys who have gotten the manuals.... I have a question.

Can you use Rev matching to go from neutral to first? That is, if you're stopped and in Neutral, can you just let out the clutch with the car in 1st and it will rev match to engage smoothly without using the gas pedal?

For me, I don't care. I drive a manual everyday.

But for my GF (whose skills are not so good with manual shifting), I wonder if the Rev match would make it easier for her to drive in stop and go traffic. I'm sure others would want to know also.

Anything weird you've found in rev matching yet?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:13 PM
EvilC7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure rev matching only occurs during a downshift when the car is moving. The scenario you described would result in stalling.. if the engine revved while in 1st and not moving that would be dangerous and could result in something very bad. Imagine letting the clutch out and the car accelerates Prius-style into the car in front of you.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM
VIN666
Pro

It also matches on up shifts...
Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Can you use Rev matching to go from neutral to first? That is, if you're stopped and in Neutral, can you just let out the clutch with the car in 1st and it will rev match to engage smoothly without using the gas pedal?

Thanks!
Question doesnt make sense. If you are in neutral and stopped at a light with the engine at idle and the clutch engaged, the input shaft will be at engine rpm and all the gears inside the gearbox will be rotating. The output shaft will be stationary. If you put your foot on the clutch pedal, it will take a while for the gears to slow down so you should hesitate before placing the shift in first which will add a little life to the 3 sincros on 1sr gear. The rev matching can't do anything unless you are moving at a faster speed than engine idle. If you take it out of neutral and place it into first whilst rolling, the rev matching will take place.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

I have a C6 with a manual and even without rev matching I don't have to give it any gas to get moving from first, not even on a hill. I would bet the same holds true for the C7.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any of you guys who have gotten the manuals.... I have a question.

Nope; sorry but ARM is just for switching between gears. If you are rolling and put it in neutral and then attempt to put it in 1st, it should attempt to bring the revs up (assuming it's switched on) but from a standstill, you're on your own.

Sounds like time to take the GF to the local shopping center and get her used to starts in a manual.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by cgh1; 09-27-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by cgh1
Nope; sorry but ARM is just for switching between gears. If you are rolling and put it in neutral and then attempt to put it in 1st, it should attempt to bring the revs up (assuming it's switched on) but from a standstill, you're on your own.

Sounds like time to take the GF to the local shopping center and get her used to starts in a manual.

Hope this helps!
OK got it.... well, I think the car is not for her, but that's just fine for me!

I was gonna leave it on Valet for her. I think 450 HP is just a bit too much for high heel shoes.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

OK got it.... well, I think the car is not for her, but that's just fine for me!

I was gonna leave it on Valet for her. I think 450 HP is just a bit too much for high heel shoes.
If you provide us pics with her in said high heels, we could help you decide.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I have a C6 with a manual and even without rev matching I don't have to give it any gas to get moving from first, not even on a hill. I would bet the same holds true for the C7.
I have a C6 as well and you don't have to give it gas for the car to move out of 1st gear. It goes no problem....
Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 PM
CaptRat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

You could always introduce her to launch control.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Not to highjack the thread, but my question is, will rev matching stop a money shift? I could see that happening if you were being careless.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM
VIN666
Pro

How would it stop a shift?¿?
So the answer is no.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by speedlink
Not to highjack the thread, but my question is, will rev matching stop a money shift? I could see that happening if you were being careless.
VIN666 is correct. It won't over-rev the engine if you move the shifter towards a gear placement that would lead to a money shift but if you actually do move the shifter there and release the clutch... well, ARM is outta the way and the rest is on the driver.

It would be nice if they'd block the gate, kinda like the 1-4 skip shift to avoid a $shift but alas, either the mfg's haven't thought about that, it'd be to expensive and heavy to add to the car, or they just don't want to give up those non-warranty repair claims - thus the name "Money shift." .

Cheers,
C
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 PM
VIN666
Pro

Never, ever in beating on cars in 20 years have I managed to pull of a "money shift".
Maybe some people should just buy an auto and call it a day...
Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 PM
lve2xlr8
Instructor

I'd be interested to know if rev matching works going into 1st at like 8mph
Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 PM
zipcode
Instructor

Don't recall that there was rev matching for the 1st and 2nd gears... But I'd only driven mine once and didn't quite pay attention... Will let you know after my weekend roadtrip
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lve2xlr8
I'd be interested to know if rev matching works going into 1st at like 8mph
The wheel speed is not notably faster than the engine RPM, so no. It bucks just like any car will if you are going that slow and put it in 1st - unless you happen to be at the magic rev number for ground speed.

It works great going into any gear where the wheel speed exceeds that needed by the engine, and thus blips the throttle. It also works to settle the throttle on upshifts - much more subtle and easily overridden by a mistake from the driver but it does it's best with what it has and a very nice job at that.

Long answer to a short question, I know but figured I'd head some others off at the pass...

Cheers!
C
Old 09-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Baron7700
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First hand experience over the last few days:

It revs match up and down. and if you put the shifter in gear and hold the clutch down, the computer will hold the rpms where you need to be, adjusting for increase or decrease in speed (like rolling up or down a hill) its pretty slick. If you downshift into first it will not rev match. If you are trying to move forward it will not.

You do need to use the gas pedal for the c7 to get going, you WILL stall it

Get notified of new replies

To rev matching question for owners

Quick Reply: rev matching question for owners