Sponsored by:

Yahoos take on corvette demographics

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:46 AM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I didn't read as a slam on the older buyers (I'm 45). I read it as recognizing a need to cultivate the next gen of buyers.
Just look up the history of what happened to the sales ( and aging demographics ) of the all conquering #1 selling 80s/early 90s Olds Cutlass when its similarly faithful buyers all eventually hit 70 years old (and short term thinking, self -centered mgmt was too cautious to rankle them design wise ) at the same time to see what has concerned Corvette Team managers for the past few years as they planned the C7.

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 09-27-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
Just look up the history of what happened to the sales ( and aging demographics ) of the all conquering #1 selling 80s/early 90s Olds Cutlass when its similarly faithful buyers all eventually hit 70 years old (and short term thinking, self -centered mgmt was too cautious to rankle them design wise ) at the same time to see what has concerned Corvette Team managers for the past few years as they planned the C7.
Most of the buyers of those #1 selling Oldsmobile's didn't hit 70 until last year. Olds lost it's direction(and it's sales) but not because it's buyers in the 80's turned 70 last year.

Last(and only) new Oldsmobile I purchased was in 1966, a Cutlass 4-4-2 and I hit 70 last year. I was 65 when I purchased my C6 Z06. 70 year old people don't automatically buy 4 cylinder Honda Accords(or Oldsmobiles). I won't be trading in my Z06 for a Honda 4 cylinder Accord, so, if GM want's to sell me a new C7, it had better reflect what this 71 year wants in a new Corvette today , not what a 20 year olds wants in his dreams some 10-20 years from now.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default everything is bigger

Originally Posted by texvette2
sport cars are seen as active younger people 20-40 fun machines. Not 50-70
knee replacement, eye surgery, bad back crowd. Just look at the sales ads.
You do not see many old men/women looking sexy next too one.

That is why when went to a first corvette club meeting walked out and asked
the restaurant manager where the vette club was meeting. Thought had walked
into a AARP meeting
in Texas. Including the B$.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ 49 - That's only Sophomore age in the Corvette world
Originally Posted by C7pimp
Then I must be in Kindergarten
I'm a preschooler.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:32 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Most of the buyers of those #1 selling Oldsmobile's didn't hit 70 until last year. Olds lost it's direction(and it's sales) but not because it's buyers in the 80's turned 70 last year.

Last(and only) new Oldsmobile I purchased was in 1966, a Cutlass 4-4-2 and I hit 70 last year. I was 65 when I purchased my C6 Z06. 70 year old people don't automatically buy 4 cylinder Honda Accords(or Oldsmobiles). I won't be trading in my Z06 for a Honda 4 cylinder Accord, so, if GM want's to sell me a new C7, it had better reflect what this 71 year wants in a new Corvette today , not what a 20 year olds wants in his dreams some 10-20 years from now.
I recall when they pulled the plug on the Cutless in 1999 that their average age buyer was something like 67+ years old , who would be 81 yrs old now , so you were on younger side of buyers , just like there are 50 y/o buyers of new Vettes now, but the meat of the curve is 61 .
Buyers of " middle class " cars tend stop buying new once they near age 68-70 , it would seem.

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 09-27-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5

IMO where Cutlass fell short and never recovered was after the very early 70 performance meltdown. When they tried to come back for the most it was only with graphics, consequently everyone knew about the Buick turbo but no one knew of the Cutlass turbo.

Because my uncle let me drive his 65, 442 (4 speed, 4:11) while I only had a temporary permit this car will always be one of my favorite muscle cars
Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default Median not average

The article is about GM trying to breach the mold of conservative styling.

It states...

The median age of a Corvette owner has risen from 54 to 61 during the past 10 yrs according to the research firm Strategic Vision.

States nothing about average age.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
The article is about GM trying to breach the mold of conservative styling.

It states...

The median age of a Corvette owner has risen from 54 to 61 during the past 10 yrs according to the research firm Strategic Vision.

States nothing about average age.
The Corvette blogger article addresses most of what has been discussed, including the Oldsmobile scenario.
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2013/...unger-drivers/

Last edited by Kingspoke; 09-29-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: delet line
Old 09-29-2013, 02:26 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love that article, hard at 53 to feel young in a crowd.... LOL
Old 09-29-2013, 02:46 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

GM is trying to reverse this trend, where half the Corvette owners are under and the other half is over the age of 61. You're either in one half or the other, unless you're 61, in which case you are the median age Corvette owner.

btw: according to google search the population median age total in the U.S. is 35.9 (2013 est). Male median is 35.9 and female median is 38.5
Old 09-29-2013, 03:02 PM
onthebottom
Pro

GM is trying to reverse this trend, where half the Corvette owners are under and the other half is over the age of 61. You're either in one half or the other, unless you're 61, in which case you are the median age Corvette owner.

btw: according to google search the population median age total in the U.S. is 35.9 (2013 est). Male median is 35.9 and female median is 38.5
This is partly a disposable income issue and a status issue
Old 09-29-2013, 03:40 PM
User24
Instructor

It is problematic to attract kids.

Other than exotics, this is what a kid in the 80s thought was cool:

That kid, grown up today would not go out and purchase such an old car. As conservative as Porsche is, they do actually make changes over the course of decades.

Rather, as long as Corvette focuses on best bang for the buck, there will always be buyers.

Image is hard to change. Remember Harley Davidson releasing Sportster and other motorcycles to attract a fresher, cooler image. But the younger customer who bought them, still put on the same leather vest, chain wallet, half shell helmet, so the whole exercise was pointless. The supposedly fresher rider was indistinguishable from the old school rider on the streets.

Bottom line, they had a preconceived image in their mind of what that brand was. Takes more than a new model here and there to turn it around.

Last edited by User24; 09-29-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:51 PM
JasonH
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard the exact same argument in 1997, when the C5 came out. GM lamented the aging Corvette buyer and designed the C5 to target the younger buyer. I was 26 when I bought my first Corvette, a new 99 C5 coupe. At the time there wasn't much that GM made that turned my head and I had a general negative impression of GM. I came of 'car age' in the 80s - so you can see why I didn't have a favorable impression of GM.

The C5 worked for me, and was a fresh enough design that I stretched to buy a new one at age 26. It also changed my opinion of GM. I have since bought a lot of GM product, including 3 Corvettes, a CTSV, Suburbans, Sierras, etc.

I believe it is mostly about product. Make a truly competitive vehicle and people will buy it, especially with a great value proposition like Corvette has. I'll buy the best vehicle in the class that I am considering, price dependent. Today, there is nothing beating the Stingray for the price. The closest thing is a used 911 or GT-R. I think the median age for the C7 will come down versus C6 (like it did with C5 vs C4). It will always be an older average buyer though, as there is no getting away from the relative cost and impracticality of a 2 seat sports car.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think there's at least one good idea in the post below. At least, the one interior, one exterior color per year. Might be expensive (to the buyer and to GM), but it certainly would set the Corvette apart from all others imo.

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I think it starts with kids and Corvette has missed the boat for some time now.

I have had a few corvettes and can tell you the average 3-14 year old boy didn't give a second look to most of them.

The two I have now though are a little kid's dream. '98 pace car and '66 convertible. The 66 probably more so because it is different. The '98 is full sized hot wheels car.

That captures the imagination of kids. Just like Lambo's and Ferrari's do. I pulled up to pick my daughter up and there was an 8 or 9 year old saying how cool the car is! His older sister is there and says to him, you don't even like purple... or yellow! Why do you like this car?? He couldn't explain it, he just kept saying it's so cool! That kid may not own a purple on yellow car but he sees Corvettes now.

It was nice when they finally lifted the constriction on color combinations. Now it would be nice if we had a few more options in color, especially the more extreme colors... both inside and out.

I can still remember probably every unique Callaway built. The silver with yellow interior one is still a combo I'd like today. They had the BFG twins, purple with turquoise interior and turquoise with purple interior. Pearl yellow with purple interior. Bright Red with a blue interior.

These things are fun to look at and eye catching. I understand that there is a limit to the colors because of cost but Harley does it with their CVO program. They have a secondary program for limited run color combinations only. These color combos are more 'out there' and they help sell bikes. If GM did some limited edition color combos it sure would add to the fun side of things.

They don't have to be for everyone. But making some of these crazy combos would easily sell a few hundred - 1000 + cars.

Even if all they did was offer one totally odd color outside and one inside each year they would create a lot of excitement.

Say they offer a bright yellow interior for 2015. You might see a black car with yellow interior, or a red one, or a yellow on yellow car. 2016 they could offer bright blue, light blue, whatever.

This would get a whole lot of people looking. Even if they don't like the combo they look... then they end up at the dealer buying a red one while the crazies like me drive the funky ones
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I didn't realize the average age of the 911 buyer was that high, altho given their price it doesn't surprise me much.
They didn't say 59 was the median age of people who buy 911s, they said the median age of a 911 owner is 59. I think there are quite a few people who bought their 911 at an earlier age, and still own the car.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"The median age of a Corvette owner has risen from 54 to 61 during the past 10 years, according to research firm Strategic Vision."

"The median age of a Porsche 911 and Mercedes SLK owner is 59, according to Strategic Vision; for the Audi TT it’s 57; for the BMW Z4, 56. ..."

So, therefore, the median age of a Corvette owner is all of two (2) years MORE than a Porsche of Mercedes SLK owner.

Not five (5), ten (10) or fifteen (15) years difference. Two.

Seems to me if Corvette has a problem with age-related owners, .....

Did I get that right?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Thi might not be a popular observation here but another issue GM may have with a halo brand like Corvette is the dealer network - the typical Chevy dealer isn't well suited to selling 60/70k cars.

I went to see a local stingray, sales guy literally knew nothing about it, if I wanted to drive it I'd have to haggle with the "business manager" on a deal first - kind of nonsensical business practice that have kept me out of American dealers for 30 years. I'm back and I'm surprised Government Moters hasn't raised their game.

Last edited by onthebottom; 09-29-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Yahoos take on corvette demographics

Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought my first new vette in 1984 and have owned quite a few through the years. I was 31 then and am 61 now. I still put the cars into 4 wheel drifts on asphalt and grin like the 18 year old boy that still lives in me did when learning to slide corners with my dads farm p.u.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by TX-OU812
What is the average age of Porsche buyer? A Ferrari buyer? A Lamborghini buyer? An Audi R8 buyer? A Viper buyer?

What is the age demographic of the buyers of the cars above.

So ....., if GM does a good job, this new C7 gets 10 to 20 year old kids frothing at the mouth. Then in 30 to 40 years (when they can afford it) they might buy a Vette.

Heavy sigh.
Two-thirds of all new car buyers-- of all types of cars-- are over 45.

Buyers aged 35 and below have declined precipitously in the last few years, and now account for only about 10% of new car sales. That is, of ALL new car sales of all types.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:22 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
They didn't say 59 was the median age of people who buy 911s, they said the median age of a 911 owner is 59. I think there are quite a few people who bought their 911 at an earlier age, and still own the car.
You're right. They also said the same of the Corvette.

I would imagine a meaningful percentage of 911 owners, like Corvette owners bought their car at an earlier age, and each likely had previous 911s and Corvettes prior to the one they own.

And of course there those stables with both in them.

Quick Reply: Yahoos take on corvette demographics