C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Treated very poorly - GM order process is BROKEN!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drivestwin
So, let me see if I understand this correctly.

If Gm gives a dealer 5 C7's allocation, and lets say you are 3rd in line, they have two choices.

1. Hold one of the 5 allocations for you when the constraint is lifted and tell people later in line they need to wait until the next round of allocations.
2. Give your allocation to a person who is not one of the original first 5 on their list, leaving you to await the next round of allocations.

Is this right?

If I am right, then what is hurting you may be helping the #6 guy in line?

I am on the fence about what the dealer should do. It is a difficult position that GM has put them in.....or should I say the suppliers have put GM in......or should I say the customers have put GM in because so many are ordering the Z51......or should I say that GM has put the suppliers in because they priced the Z51 too low and therefore demand is sky high?

Complex situation to say the least.

I hope the constraint is lifted and you see your order picked up soon.

It is actually very simple if you let good judgement reign. A FIFO process needs to be implemented for all orders impacted by constraint situations once the constraint has been cleared. Very simple, very fair.

Thank you for your good vibes!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Originally Posted by Madmax6252
I had a very similar experience, except I pried the rules out of the dealer before placing an order, and walked away fast! My opinion is that this basically bait and switch type of tactics. I second many other opinions that you connect with one of the many reputable dealers who will honor your place in line. Also, something I didn't know about was that you can arrange for a courtesy delivery to a local (OTHER) dealer but still take advantage of the large non-local dealer allocations. Good luck!

Thanks for the info on courtesy delivery!!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Get your deposit back, call one of the forum dealers and order from their allocations. They can deliver to your local dealer. Sorry you're going through this and I'd hate to see you drive a competing car and always wonder if you should have waited or changed dealerships.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:00 PM
YellowC5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP. Talk to one of the fourm dealers like Coughlin (talk to Rick) or one of the other ones. They have open allocation and will put your in the system. Now you will sit at code 1100 until the constraints are lifted but at least you will be in the system when that happens. It sounds like your dealer does not even want to do this for you...dump him and go with a dealer that has open allocation. Just my 2 cents.

Barry.

Last edited by YellowC5; 09-27-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Madmax6252
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
Thanks for the info on courtesy delivery!!
No Problemo! Also a couple of general comments. If they take your deposit, that implicitly means they will get you the car with the options you want. Second, your choice, but if I were you I'd disclose the name of the dealer. Kind of like Angie's list -- let people know which dealers are ethical and which are not.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:06 PM
drivestwin
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is actually very simple if you let good judgement reign. A FIFO process needs to be implemented for all orders impacted by constraint situations once the constraint has been cleared. Very simple, very fair.

Thank you for your good vibes!
Now I see what you are suggesting....

GM make a note of any pending orders that can't get picked up due to constraints, then award additional allocation to account for those at a later date.

Got it. Good idea.

I am thinking that after this initial flash of demand, that allocations should loosen up pretty quickly.

I saw that one of the big dealers also had 10 Z51 orders placed and only one could be picked up this consensus. Large and small dealers alike are getting put into a bad situation.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Madmax6252
No Problemo! Also a couple of general comments. If they take your deposit, that implicitly means they will get you the car with the options you want. Second, your choice, but if I were you I'd disclose the name of the dealer. Kind of like Angie's list -- let people know which dealers are ethical and which are not.
What did his dealer do wrong? The dealer has NO CONTROL of GM's production scheduled or would or will be on constraint at the time of production. It didn't matter if the dealer had one allocation or was Kerbeck with 508 allocations if GM isn't offering that option that week of production NOBODY is getting a car build.

Bad mouthing his dealer for something out of the dealers control is just wrong!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
What did his dealer do wrong? The dealer has NO CONTROL of GM's production scheduled or would or will be on constraint at the time of production. It didn't matter if the dealer had one allocation or was Kerbeck with 508 allocations if GM isn't offering that option that week of production NOBODY is getting a car build.

Bad mouthing his dealer for something out of the dealers control is just wrong!!!
I have spoken to my dealer again and they are going to see if the can make something happen. The sales rep has been awesome. I have purchased close to a dozen cars from this dealer. All great experiences. After my conversation, I am hopeful that they will come up with a solution.

Stay tuned.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by drivestwin
So, let me see if I understand this correctly.

If Gm gives a dealer 5 C7's allocation, and lets say you are 3rd in line, they have two choices.

1. Hold one of the 5 allocations for you when the constraint is lifted and tell people later in line they need to wait until the next round of allocations.
2. Give your allocation to a person who is not one of the original first 5 on their list, leaving you to await the next round of allocations.

Is this right?

If I am right, then what is hurting you may be helping the #6 guy in line?

I am on the fence about what the dealer should do. It is a difficult position that GM has put them in.....or should I say the suppliers have put GM in......or should I say the customers have put GM in because so many are ordering the Z51......or should I say that GM has put the suppliers in because they priced the Z51 too low and therefore demand is sky high?

Complex situation to say the least.

I hope the constraint is lifted and you see your order picked up soon.
No, this is NOT correct.

The OP's dealer has 3 Corvettes allocated. The OP has the 3rd car, which must be ordered next week. The OP (customer) wants an option that is on constraint (in this case, Z51). The dealer MUST order a car (which is, at this point, committed to the OP), if he (the dealer) does not order A car, he (the dealer) loses the allocation. So, the OP must either order and accept a car NOT equipped the way he wants it, or lose the spot with a local dealer. How this is remotely the OP or dealer's fault is beyond me. Everyone FULLY understands supplier issues and the predicting of certain option flow, why can't the order be placed against the dealer's allocation and held until the constraint is lifted?

Jimmy

PS. I have been a supporter of GM through the intro of the C7, but this situation, IMO, is a classic "tail wagging the dog". There are Z51 components that are not available......your fault/my fault/nobody's fault, in the end, that doesn't matter....but GM made it the OP and dealer's fault, when GM VERY simply needs to steer the dealer allocation to ANOTHER dealer and preserve the ORIGINAL allocation for the OP/dealer when the constraint is lifted. Please don't lecture me about NOT understanding the process, this is about taking care of the customer and it is NOT that hard, in this case.

Last edited by jimmyb; 09-27-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:26 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
WTF...LOL..I'm sorry...it was only a matter of time before GM screwed he pooch on the C7...sorry!
What's wrong with you? GM didn't screw this up, the dealer did.

All the OP needs to do is get with a large forum dealer and order. He'll get his car.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I have spoken to my dealer again and they are going to see if the can make something happen. The sales rep has been awesome. I have purchased close to a dozen cars from this dealer. All great experiences. After my conversation, I am hopeful that they will come up with a solution.

Stay tuned.
So, it sounds like your dealer will come through for you, or might. And also, it sounds like you just learned of "courtesy delivery" which you might therefore be able to use with this same dealer if they don't have any more allocations and you have to buy elsewhere(as suggested above, having this dealer give you a "deal" on courtesy delivery from another dealer). It's good not to get emotional about this whole process esp. since it's a tangible possession.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by speedlink
What's wrong with you? GM didn't screw this up, the dealer did.

All the OP needs to do is get with a large forum dealer and order. He'll get his car.
So, it's the dealer's fault that when HIS number was called, Z51 is on constraint.....Go back and read Rick Conti's original post in this thread since you do not seem to understand how this works (especially for a small dealer).

Maybe the OP wanted to buy locally (a noble pursuit) and be loyal to said dealer (another noble pursuit).

And then, Your answer is...buy from someone you don't know????

Nothing against our wonderful forum dealers, they do a great job. But this is NOT the dealer or OP's fault and for you to TRY to make it so is not right.

Jimmy
Old 09-27-2013, 05:59 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
So, it's the dealer's fault that when HIS number was called, Z51 is on constraint.....Go back and read Rick Conti's original post in this thread since you do not seem to understand how this works (especially for a small dealer).

Maybe the OP wanted to buy locally (a noble pursuit) and be loyal to said dealer (another noble pursuit).

And then, Your answer is...buy from someone you don't know????

Nothing against our wonderful forum dealers, they do a great job. But this is NOT the dealer or OP's fault and for you to TRY to make it so is not right.

Jimmy
You are correct. It's not the dealers fault. It's also not the OP's fault.

Loyalty only goes so far. If he wants the car he can order from a forum dealer for the same or better price. Go for it!
The local dealer can make more money on service in the future.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

On 9/5 ordered a non Z51 Coupe from a local dealer with 10 allocations. I was #10 of 10. Called today for an update on my order, only to learn I had moved to 2000, while 4 others who ordered earlier, we're still at 1100. Guess, perhaps, I'm the beneficiary of the Z51 constraint. Wish all the very Best!
Jerry
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

To all:

Thank you for your advice, counsel and wisdom.

I have decided to give my dealer time to deal with this situation. He has always "delivered the mail" in the past.

If he does not, I will contact another dealer as recommended by several members of this forum.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

To all:

Thank you for your advice, counsel and wisdom.

I have decided to give my dealer time to deal with this situation. He has always "delivered the mail" in the past.

If he does not, I will contact another dealer as recommended by several members of this forum.
Good for you, I hope your dealer can work this out with Chevrolet.
And also....good for you for NOT striking back at posters in this thread that DO NOT understand how the system works (or doesn't in this case). I HOPE YOU GET YOUR CORVETTE, JUST THE WAY YOU WANT IT!

Jimmy
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by speedlink
You are correct. It's not the dealers fault. It's also not the OP's fault.

Loyalty only goes so far. If he wants the car he can order from a forum dealer for the same or better price. Go for it!
The local dealer can make more money on service in the future.
Seriously....

This thread is about a BROKEN system within the ordering process of GM. Your inane response to order from a forum dealer does NOT remotely deal with the issue/question at hand. Z51 is ON CONSTRAINT for everyone, the central issue is that a small dealer with THREE allocations is being forced to ask THEIR customer to compromise on his order (that has had a deposit for 9 Months) or lose his allocation. How in the hell you think ordering from a forum dealer, who is buying the SAME corvette from the SAME manufacturer, is beyond me.

Jimmy

Get notified of new replies

To Treated very poorly - GM order process is BROKEN!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:20 AM
yellowray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets get this strait, Zhuskers1 (the OP) plunks down a deposit with a dealer that has allocation back in January, before the reveal and test result, in great faith of GM, before 99.999 percent of the buyers. And from May (when GM started accepted orders) through June there were no constraints relative to his order he doesn't get past 1100? There are no excuses, the dealer and/or GM wronged you, in my book. You my friend, should have that car conciar delivered with a bow-tie on it in your driveway in the near future to make it right. Buyers shouldn't be stressing, wondering if they are passed over or ....forgotten. It should be first come first served when all the components become available, but it seems there are other forces at work in the shadows.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:28 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowray
Lets get this strait, Zhuskers1 (the OP) plunks down a deposit with a dealer that has allocation back in January, before the reveal and test result, in great faith of GM, before 99.999 percent of the buyers. And from May (when GM started accepted orders) through June there were no constraints relative to his order he doesn't get past 1100? There are no excuses, the dealer and/or GM wronged you, in my book. You my friend, should have that car conciar delivered with a bow-tie on it in your driveway in the near future to make it right. Buyers shouldn't be stressing, wondering if they are passed over or ....forgotten. It should be first come first served when all the components become available, but it seems there are other forces at work in the shadows.
I agree but I suspect it is the dealer over promising and not being able to deliver. Sounds like the OP never actually got an allocation from the dealer.

Last edited by gthal; 09-28-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by gthal
I agree but I suspect it is the dealer over promising and not being able to deliver. Sounds like the OP never actually got an allocation from the dealer.
You come to this conclusion after OP has stated he has bought many (not a few) vehicles at the dealer and has faith in their ability and truthfulness with him?

Quick Reply: Treated very poorly - GM order process is BROKEN!