Sponsored by:

How NOT to get new buyers to the brand.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:28 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I've met and talked with some really good ones and some DBs. There are all kinds when it comes to selling cars.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I've met and talked with some really good ones and some DBs. There are all kinds when it comes to selling cars.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:31 PM
boostfreak2003
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you kidding me? Talk about despicable behavior. Then again, I can't say I'm entirely surprised, most salesmen are lunatics. Just what I've experienced.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by THECORVETTEMANN
To most sales-people, selling a car is about feeding their family. The Corvette is just another shirt off the rack for sale.

We're the nuts who stay up late dreaming about these toys.....

If you don't buy it, the next guy will. It's all about volume to most sales guys. The Vette sells itself, you either want it or you don't!

Each dealership that is authorized to sell the Stingray should have a "expert?" No?

The great thing about be American is you have choices.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Houston Z33
One salesman in particular rubbed me the wrong way.

How are you going to have the audacity to walk up to me and ask me flat out blunt as hell "So how much did you pay for the GT-R"

Needless to say I was a little....disturbed by this - This is not how you bring fresh faces to the brand.

Why didn't you just be honest with the salesman and say "Way too much!" ?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

The dealership model is broken. Full stop. I hate Elon Musk, but his corporate store/service center model makes so much more sense.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats one of the reasons I don't like to buy from dealerships. Too many clowns like that.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Oshuwah
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The personality of one particular car salesman that works for a Chevy franchised dealership owned by someone else entirely is no reflection on GM.

Survival of the fittest will come in to play here. That sales guy will anger enough people that he'll make less money and he'll either change professions, change tactics, or be relegated to one of the crappy sales people that can't make a good living at it.

I am a salesguy and frankly, I don't like salespeople in general. Many sales jobs don't depend on repeat business and referals so they are in the position of just having to get whatever they can right now. But I've met some good ones too. My Dad became best friends with the guy that sold him his Landcruiser many years ago.
What he said.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston Z33
We expected to be taken seriously and with respect, I'm not mad they tried to sell us stuff - it's what they are paid to do.....but can we get out the car first? lol

I understand, I have a mental image in my head that's quite comical.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I understand, I have a mental image in my head that's quite comical.
Absolute best place to have a mental image. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Absolute best place to have a mental image. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Got me there. oops.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

97% of GM dealerships are pathetic. Just THIS weekend, I stopped by a closed Chevy store to see if they had received a C7 on Sunday afternoon (about 2pm). Security guy tells me I can't come on the lot, they are closed. I was driving my Viper.

Compare that with:

By 4pm same day, I deliver my wifes MINI Cooper S to Sewell MINI in Plano. They are also closed, but I need to drop it off since she had a minor accident in it. I'm walking around looking for a key drop, and a guy comes out of the dealership asking if I need help. I explain. He says, "Hey, I'm sure you don't want to leave your car parked outside. Let me raise a door and you can leave it inside". My wife mentions the name of her service advisor and asks if we can leave her keys on his desk. This guy tells us later, "Hey, I just got a text back from your service advisor. He is aware of what is going on, and will call you first thing Monday". He offered us Cokes and water. ALL THIS WHEN THEY WERE CLOSED. He was not even a salesman!

Why am I treated like a King at the MINI dealer, and just really great at the VW and Nissan dealer, but like absolute garbage every single time I have -anything- to do with ANY GM dealer? Remember, I am the guy that had his convertible left outside for the whole weekend with his top down by a Grapevine Chevy dealership. And I've got a TON more bad GM dealership experiences. I love GMs cars and trucks, but their dealers are to be avoided like the plague.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:57 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

I had a similar experience with a local Chevy dealership when the new Camaro came out. I wanted to look at it, sit in it, talk about the price, and they basically said "the car is not for sale, go away" which I did and never ever went back, and I'm not driving a Camaro ever.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

It's all about what you are willing to pay. That goes for dealerships as well. At a MB or BMW dealership, most of the sales people are good for at least $100K per year. The company invests $$ in their sales staff. From spending $$ on the selection process, $$ on the training process, $$ on continuing education, the premium car brand dealerships spend time and money on their sales staff. They also spend $$ on their marketing methods. They have a very specific way of doing business that is based on research and conformity.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 AM
USCGTO
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
It's all about what you are willing to pay. That goes for dealerships as well. At a MB or BMW dealership, most of the sales people are good for at least $100K per year. The company invests $$ in their sales staff. From spending $$ on the selection process, $$ on the training process, $$ on continuing education, the premium car brand dealerships spend time and money on their sales staff. They also spend $$ on their marketing methods. They have a very specific way of doing business that is based on research and conformity.
This is true.

Every time I have stepped into a chevy / GM dealership (GTO in garage) I always felt like it was a second grade place.

Went to test drive the SRT8 challeger - same horrible folks.
Mustang GT-500 - same guy who sells 10 F-150s a week.

Now, go drop my C63 at the local MB dealer. Feel the difference. Yes, you pay for it. But you also pay 70k for the vette and 60k for the GT500 and 50k for the SRT8.

If you bought a 35k C class / Audi A4, et all, they will still treat you like king, because those sales folks are trained to deal with people buying 100k M5s and 200k S65
Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
97% of GM dealerships are pathetic. Just THIS weekend, I stopped by a closed Chevy store to see if they had received a C7 on Sunday afternoon (about 2pm). Security guy tells me I can't come on the lot, they are closed. I was driving my Viper.

Compare that with:

By 4pm same day, I deliver my wifes MINI Cooper S to Sewell MINI in Plano. They are also closed, but I need to drop it off since she had a minor accident in it. I'm walking around looking for a key drop, and a guy comes out of the dealership asking if I need help. I explain. He says, "Hey, I'm sure you don't want to leave your car parked outside. Let me raise a door and you can leave it inside". My wife mentions the name of her service advisor and asks if we can leave her keys on his desk. This guy tells us later, "Hey, I just got a text back from your service advisor. He is aware of what is going on, and will call you first thing Monday". He offered us Cokes and water. ALL THIS WHEN THEY WERE CLOSED. He was not even a salesman!

Why am I treated like a King at the MINI dealer, and just really great at the VW and Nissan dealer, but like absolute garbage every single time I have -anything- to do with ANY GM dealer? Remember, I am the guy that had his convertible left outside for the whole weekend with his top down by a Grapevine Chevy dealership. And I've got a TON more bad GM dealership experiences. I love GMs cars and trucks, but their dealers are to be avoided like the plague.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's seen this now. Nissan dealers can be hit or miss - Any GM Dealer I've ever gone to has been.....not so pleasant.

By far the best service I've ever gotten was from Hyundai and Kia dealers lol

Originally Posted by proexpert
I had a similar experience with a local Chevy dealership when the new Camaro came out. I wanted to look at it, sit in it, talk about the price, and they basically said "the car is not for sale, go away" which I did and never ever went back, and I'm not driving a Camaro ever.
That's pretty much the hell I'm in right now. I've never owned a 'vette, None of my friends have them, Only one I've ever driven was an '80 C3 and I've never cared about one until now - I'm gonna need some time with one before I sign my name on the dotted line.

Last edited by Houston Z33; 09-26-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
It has alot to do with the brand. You pull up to a chevy place and swamped by
cruze and silverado salesmen. Corvette wants to be upscale. No not gonna happen
if have to deal with the likes of those kinds.

When a person want to talk corvette, all lower salesmen should be instructed to
just say will get someone in that dept. Than shut the F up.

I've run into this several times. They spout BS that does not pertain to the
corvette. I just tell them have read up on the car and no it does not. Or
I have a corvette and no it does not.

Have even reported salesmen to the manager for being blowhards. That
would not talk to one who does not deal with the car. Sure a molly maid
will be in shortly to look at a cruze.
You are missing the point. Douchey salesman don't just work for GM. I've went car shopping at a Ferrari dealership and at a Land Rover dealership and received pretty horrible service. Does that mean I should let the experience with ONE single salesman, ruin my interest in a Ferrari or Range Rover?

I'm sure there are 1000's of GM transactions that occur daily without the salesman conducting themselves like a dumbazz. The problem is people generally dont jump on Corvette Forum and praise those salesman when a great experience does occur. Forums are notorious for complaints about a unique event.. and have others join in on their opinion & experience. For the record I've had my C6 serviced at two different Chevy dealers and both treated me respectful and with courtesy. Maybe I should have started a thread everytime I go to the Chevy dealer and get great service.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 09-26-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To How NOT to get new buyers to the brand.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 AM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compare GM dealership to a Ford dealership. Ford dealerships had a ADM on the Shelby GT500 in 2007 for $10k and that lasted for more than a year. Most GM dealers are not charging a ADM on the C7. So give the GM dealers credit for not being DICKS.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:30 AM
0Mike@Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My experience so far has been really good. I am noticing being asked a lot of questions about what other cars are owned/what car/brand are you coming from.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:36 AM
harrydunn
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
T My Dad became best friends with the guy that sold him his Landcruiser many years ago.
Land Cruiser! Woot Woot!

Love my Cruiser. Electronically-locking front, rear and center differentials. An absolute beast off the pavement! 9 mpg in town isn't so fun though. It's my daily driver/urban assault vehicle.

Quick Reply: How NOT to get new buyers to the brand.