C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking one Friday. Pictures/Question requests?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Tracking one Friday. Pictures/Question requests?

Hey guys. I just got my invite for the Stingray Precision event. Had to pull some strings to get an actual Corvette enthusiast in there and with the bunch of Lexus owners.

I know this is a little late at this point as the cars are in the field but I'll be taking a good camera and can answer any questions anyone might have. For comparison's sake I've owned a C5Z06 and a C6Z06. My dad, who I got an invite for, owns a 96 Grand Sport and a 2011 "Grand Sport".

It's a 5 hours event at Monticello Motor Club which I've driven several times before.

If anyone has any odd picture requests that haven't been met yet or has any specific questions feel free to let me know. They have GoPro's setup inside the car and a week after the event will send me the footage with telemetry layered over it. Not bad! I'm guessing it will make use of that feature we heard about back in the day. I'll post that, pictures, and a full review.

Best,
Gene
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Do you have an iPhone or Android phone ? Download Harry's Laptimer ($20) and get a phone mount. Get us some video with track data. It's really easy !!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:40 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Do you have an iPhone or Android phone ? Download Harry's Laptimer ($20) and get a phone mount. Get us some video with track data. It's really easy !!
The footage they're going to give me will already have track telemetry overlaid on it. That said, that app sounds like a good buy for next time. Thanks for the heads up.

Best,
Gene
Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

You should see a blond that owns a 2010 RX450h. She's a fellow moderator with me on the Club Lexus forums (Name is Anita). Tell her I said 'HI' and enjoy the drive .

Yea, we're looking forward to your photos and story, have fun .
Originally Posted by phantasms
Hey guys. I just got my invite for the Stingray Precision event. Had to pull some strings to get an actual Corvette enthusiast in there and with the bunch of Lexus owners.

I know this is a little late at this point as the cars are in the field but I'll be taking a good camera and can answer any questions anyone might have. For comparison's sake I've owned a C5Z06 and a C6Z06. My dad, who I got an invite for, owns a 96 Grand Sport and a 2011 "Grand Sport".

It's a 5 hours event at Monticello Motor Club which I've driven several times before.

If anyone has any odd picture requests that haven't been met yet or has any specific questions feel free to let me know. They have GoPro's setup inside the car and a week after the event will send me the footage with telemetry layered over it. Not bad! I'm guessing it will make use of that feature we heard about back in the day. I'll post that, pictures, and a full review.

Best,
Gene
Old 09-25-2013, 09:24 AM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Please check to see if they put the rotor rings on and changed the oil to 15w-50.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Cruiter
You should see a blond that owns a 2010 RX450h. She's a fellow moderator with me on the Club Lexus forums (Name is Anita). Tell her I said 'HI' and enjoy the drive .

Yea, we're looking forward to your photos and story, have fun .
You got it!

Originally Posted by *C7*
Please check to see if they put the rotor rings on and changed the oil to 15w-50.

Thanks
Sure thing. Quick question..excuse my ignorance. Rotor Rings?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm trying to decide on colour and manual vs auto so my GF would feel more comfortable driving it on long trips. I will track the car but have read that since 2012 the A6 auto is very capable on the track. With my years of kart racing I also don't how I'll be able to not always have my left foot available to balance the car with the brake. If it is available to you I would love to hear your impressions of the auto driven hard on track. The colours I am considering most are Cyber grey, Limerock green and Night Race blue. If you can get any good shots of those in different light conditions and provide your thoughts on them too, I would be grateful. NRB with Kalahari interior is what I was most recently thinking of ordering and I really wanted to love the colour but I went to a dealer and saw the same paint code on a Chevy Cruze and was certainly not wowed by it. Then I see threads where it looks so great! ... My question is could it be that it's the same paint code, but not the same paint process, that gives a duller look to the Cruze? I have always read that NRB really pops in direct sun but it just didn't do that when I saw it in person on the Cruze. If you can ask someone if they know if the Corvette gets a better paint process, that results in the Corvette version of NRB "coming alive" more than on the Cruze that would be a big help.

But mostly have fun! What a great opportunity.

Clive
Old 09-26-2013, 06:21 AM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Rotor rings = rings, I believe made of aluminum, that mount to the brake rotors to dissipate heat. Used only for tracking the car and should be removed after each track day (or weekend) due to the corrosion factor.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Vman, thanks for the info, I'll be tracking at Watkins Glen this weekend and then Canadian Tire Motorsports Park next weekend. I'm getting the app

Sorry, I'll be in my ole 20 year old 95'C4. But, it is amazing how well it runs.

LT1 C4....LT1 C7, says it all!

Boxcar
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by formula80_ca
I'm trying to decide on colour and manual vs auto so my GF would feel more comfortable driving it on long trips. I will track the car but have read that since 2012 the A6 auto is very capable on the track. With my years of kart racing I also don't how I'll be able to not always have my left foot available to balance the car with the brake. If it is available to you I would love to hear your impressions of the auto driven hard on track. The colours I am considering most are Cyber grey, Limerock green and Night Race blue. If you can get any good shots of those in different light conditions and provide your thoughts on them too, I would be grateful. NRB with Kalahari interior is what I was most recently thinking of ordering and I really wanted to love the colour but I went to a dealer and saw the same paint code on a Chevy Cruze and was certainly not wowed by it. Then I see threads where it looks so great! ... My question is could it be that it's the same paint code, but not the same paint process, that gives a duller look to the Cruze? I have always read that NRB really pops in direct sun but it just didn't do that when I saw it in person on the Cruze. If you can ask someone if they know if the Corvette gets a better paint process, that results in the Corvette version of NRB "coming alive" more than on the Cruze that would be a big help.

But mostly have fun! What a great opportunity.

Clive
Added to the list! Hopefully they'll have some autos...but I better not get stuck with one!

best,
Gene
Old 09-26-2013, 07:20 AM
SWO99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pls ask if they are using the track alignment, DOT4 brake fluid and oil as per the owner's manual for track conditions.

But most of all, have fun!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Seapar
Racer

I would be interested in the opinions of those who have the brake rotor rings installed versus those that don't as to brake performance/ fade etc. Are the rotor rings necessary for DE type events when the run groups are 30 minutes or less. Curious to know if you drive it like a Porsche with slow in fast out technique and also if you can throttle steer this new car.
Try some laps with and without auto rev match activated and tell us which do you enjoy more. Also, what is the factory alignment settings? Do we know? Enjoy the experience . I look forward to your follow up report.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 08:06 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by Boxcar
Vman, thanks for the info, I'll be tracking at Watkins Glen this weekend and then Canadian Tire Motorsports Park next weekend. I'm getting the app

Sorry, I'll be in my ole 20 year old 95'C4. But, it is amazing how well it runs.

Boxcar
Do yourself a favor and get a remote Bluetooth external GPS (Amazon >$100) and a Bluetooth OBD reader-Harry's Laptimer will interface with it and give you accurate data and engine parameters.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM
VIN666
Pro

Originally Posted by Boxcar

Boxcar
Hahaha.
I love mu Z51 7 speed manual corvette as well!

Too bad it's an 84

All is not lost though, 400 CI sbc
Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM
plumalan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

How about a picture with a black exterior and red interior with door open, same thing for artic white, preferably with chrome wheels
Old 09-26-2013, 09:10 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've got my list of questions and picture requests on my phone. If anyone has any others please post and I'll check my phone tomorrow. Off to bed soon as I've got to be at the track, an hour and a half away, at 7:30am. I've got to say, having been an auto journalist and having had a lot of friends with exotics I've driven a ton of stuff. I don't recall being this excited about driving a car in a long long long time.

Best,
Gene
Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here's the writeup everyone. All the questions I was able to answer are on that thread. Hope everyone enjoys it!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-write-up.html

Best,
Gene
Old 09-28-2013, 08:26 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

I remember you Gene, never met just on the forums, I fell in love with your Black Z, that was awesome, especially the photos you took. Do u plan on owning one or have one? You been away for quite sometime. Good to see you around again.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:36 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by keagan
I remember you Gene, never met just on the forums, I fell in love with your Black Z, that was awesome, especially the photos you took. Do u plan on owning one or have one? You been away for quite sometime. Good to see you around again.
Hey man. Yeah I seriously miss that car. It was so right in every way. Right now I'm rocking a modded Mini, which is way fun, but I absolutely plan on getting another Corvette. Hopefully many more! Last year I went back to school to finally get my undergrad degree. My hope is that when I graduate and get back into the work force I'll be able to pick up the new Z06. Until then I'll be ducking in and out of the forum to try and stay in the know. Hope things are well with you my friend.

Best,
Gene

Get notified of new replies

To Tracking one Friday. Pictures/Question requests?

Quick Reply: Tracking one Friday. Pictures/Question requests?