C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patent for Dual Clutch Transmission filed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
People make the same argument about push rods and leaf springs. Yet the Corvette easily out performs the competition using them. Just because a more expensive brand uses a different technology does not make it better.
Very good point!

Michael
Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
People make the same argument about push rods and leaf springs. Yet the Corvette easily out performs the competition using them. Just because a more expensive brand uses a different technology does not make it better.
The difference is that it's a lot easier to see, understand, and quantify the advantages of a DCT over most other transmissions.

But as CFFTW said, if the new 8-speed (or whatever transmission they may use instead of a DCT) offers similar performance to a DCT without any significant tradeoffs, then s'all good I suppose.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Are there automatics (torque converter trans...) that can handle track abuse? I just can't see that. I really can't see someone choosing an automatic for a car they want to track. I really like mastering (if I've done that) MT's. This is not the same as mastering driving, it is much simpler. The transmission is not that hard: heal and toe, double clutching, rarely feathering the clutch.. I've done it since 15.5 years old. I wouldn't pay 5$ for a rev matching option. Yet I see the reason for a DCT. It is a neat tech. Not sure I want one for daily driving as the cost and lack of smoothness makes it not an option for any of my daily drivers (I drive a Jeep grand cherokee for kids duty) so really it would be for my track car. So do I want 1 second per lap increased speed and a completely different (read: Playstation) driving experience than my MT? If I had a quiver of cars, no doubt, but I am not a rich man, I'm a fortunate one. I don't think a pushrod V8 needs 8 or seven or even 6 speeds for track use. So a 8 AT is ridiculous for this car if you ask me. The 8AT ZF makes sense in that it can have fast shifts and handle power, but wouldn't it shift funny, running the car at high revs when not needed on the track? I just can't see that working. Jeep GC owners with the 8 speed complain about it always searching for gears. Why should a big V8 need to do that? 0.5mpg??

I don't know, I assume the future is DTC and there's a lot of info here that is good. I just cringe every time I read a car mag review of a car with a DTC and they always comment somewhere in the article that they'd prefer a manual but oh do they love the car... I fear the end is near, or here.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I'm willing to be it would be cheaper, and have more improvement in performance, to put a blower on every Corvette than to put in a DCT. Just a thought.

Michael

Quick Reply: Patent for Dual Clutch Transmission filed!