C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patent for Dual Clutch Transmission filed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, why can a DCT not have a clutch pedal that disengages both clutches at the same time and overrides the computer.

There may be times you want to "feather" the clutch to get over ramp bumps etc. without the computer providing all or nothing.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
Since Porsche has offered the PDK(DCT) sales are at 75%. Not even the best drivers can shift as fast and efficiently as the PDK. With the sport chrono option with launch control the 911S with only 400hp outperforms the C7 with Z51 in the 0 to 60.

Just imagine what the C7 will do with DCT. The option is 4050 in a Porsche. That gives you full auto and manual paddle shifters. However I would not hold your breath for this option. If GM just filed for the patent, it might be two or three years before you see it in a Corvette. In the next five to ten years the manual trans will go the way of the dodo bird. Ferrari no longer offers MT and Porsche offers only the PDK trans on the upcoming 911 GT3.
The day the manual transmission goes away, is the day I lose interest in the current and future models of a car.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
Out of curiosity, why can a DCT not have a clutch pedal that disengages both clutches at the same time and overrides the computer.

There may be times you want to "feather" the clutch to get over ramp bumps etc. without the computer providing all or nothing.
I agree and have mentioned this before. F1 cars have a 3rd paddle behind the wheel. Although primarily for launches, a third peddle/paddle permits relaxed operation for situations as you described. I can't envision GM doing it though. Handing control back to the driver doesn't seem in their DNA, probably for some possible liability concern. When the manuals are gone, it's probably as final as it is inevitable. But you pointed out the key differentiator, manual clutch control which does not exist currently in any production DCT automobile. I suspect the rev matching feature of the C7 is as close as we'll see, which is frankly a highly effective equalizer for a driver not practiced in the heel/toe technique.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:07 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Original patent application was filed May 12, 2009.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
The day the manual transmission goes away, is the day I lose interest in the current and future models of a car.
I agree. Driving a car with a DCT from a human interface perspective is not any different than driving one with the current automatic transmission. You can put it in Drive (full auto), or pull on the SPST paddle switches. Nothing new there.

Michael
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
Original patent application was filed May 12, 2009.
Any more recent additions, subtractions, or other amendments?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a Panamera 4S and I love the PDK dual clutch transmission. Shifts are so quick and seamless.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on the article on the CF main page, it seems this may replace the automatic trans on upcoming models. I think that would be a mistake, unless they kept a traditional automatic mode. There's a lot of people who simply don't want to change gears on their own at all. Likewise, I hope this doesn't replace the manual transmission, as it has on so many other sports and exotic cars.

Hopefully this will be a transmission used as an option on the Z07 for those who are looking for maximum performance, yet I feel like it will become the only transmission by the time the next generation debuts.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Balthazar_B
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
Based on the article on the CF main page, it seems this may replace the automatic trans on upcoming models. I think that would be a mistake, unless they kept a traditional automatic mode. There's a lot of people who simply don't want to change gears on their own at all. Likewise, I hope this doesn't replace the manual transmission, as it has on so many other sports and exotic cars.

Hopefully this will be a transmission used as an option on the Z07 for those who are looking for maximum performance, yet I feel like it will become the only transmission by the time the next generation debuts.
With a DCT, "people who simply don't want to change gears on their own at all" don't have to. The thing works as an auto unless you want manual control over gear changes. Depending on weight, cost, reliability, etc., there's a good chance a DCT will eventually replace the auto in a car like the Corvette. Maybe the traditional manual as well, although I would regard that as a sad mistake.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 AM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoav G
Dual clutch transmissions are designed and intended specifically for people who want to shift for themselves (enthusiasts).
Ooooooh, I've been going at it all wrong with a manual transmission. Looks like I need a DCT to shift for myself.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

I guess if you like that but I like rowing gears!!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
The OP has some degree of cred methinks.
Such as?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 AM
uae_83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if GM really did it, put the 7 speed DC on the Vette in the near future that'll look bad for them. Remember Jeep with the Grand Cherokee SRT-8, that was really crappy.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Yoav G
I do believe that this transmission will eventually show up in the Corvette. Dual clutch transmissions are designed and intended specifically for people who want to shift for themselves (enthusiasts).

Having said that, the only reason it might not make it to the Vette would be because of HP/torque limitations, but I can't imagine a world where GM would develop this transmission and not be 100% certain that it was going in the Corvette, their flagship sports car.

To make a long story epic, yes, I firmly believe this is going in the Vette eventually. Near future? that's another story... I'd say 2016-ish.
Complete and utter nonsense.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Google is your friend. If you understand how a DCT functions, you would not ask such a question.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

dupe!!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

The new GT3 PDK transmission does this, but without the clutch pedal. You simply pull both paddles in at the same time, and it opens both clutches. You can gas it and release the clutch if you want. Porsche calls it their "burnout" mode.

Get notified of new replies

To Patent for Dual Clutch Transmission filed!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedLS6
The new GT3 PDK transmission does this, but without the clutch pedal. You simply pull both paddles in at the same time, and it opens both clutches. You can gas it and release the clutch if you want. Porsche calls it their "burnout" mode.

This is still all or nothing. Although this proceedure would allow you to dump the clutch if your coasting up to traffic and not sure what gear you want because the traffic bottleneck may be changing speeds rapidly. So your not sure whether 2,3 or maybe 4 maybe your choice once you catch up.

I'm saying that sometimes you want only a half clutch just to get up over some bump like a small curb,ramp, speedbump. An auto will slip the torque convert. to do this
Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
The new GT3 PDK transmission does this, but without the clutch pedal. You simply pull both paddles in at the same time, and it opens both clutches. You can gas it and release the clutch if you want. Porsche calls it their "burnout" mode..
Thats pretty awesome. Never knew a PDK could do that.

Say what you want about Porsche. They may be overpriced and underpowered. But their technology is definitely leading edge. I'd guess this is the only DCT on the consumer market that does this.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Complete and utter nonsense.
Go drive a modded GTR or PDK 911 and then tell me those cars aren't a freaking blast?

Go watch some roadcourse vids of either and tell me there isn't driver involvement.

Does it take away skill? Of course it does, but I don't drive to say "Ahhhh, I have better shifting skills and heel to toe technique then you ha ha" those cars are fun as hell to drive.

I love manual too and loathe automatics like all of the ones that get swapped into modded Vettes. If you drive them you will see a DCT is nothing like slushbox when in manual mode.

Quick Reply: Patent for Dual Clutch Transmission filed!