C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone letting their wife or g/f drive the c7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 AM
TacDoc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO WAY wife is gonna drive the C7....... She is gonna have to stick to our ZR1.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 AM
R W B
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arcticblast
I'll let my wife and my GF each drive it, just not together.
I see what you did there LOL
Old 09-24-2013, 02:19 AM
crazycrabber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by senah
Thankfully it was only a replica.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My hats off to anyone who can afford a new vette, wife and girlfriend. Luckeeeeeee!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 AM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife can drive my zr whenever she wants. Once the c7 Z0 or ZR come she can drive that. She just sold a gfx-r because we never rode our bikes and traded her ctsv on a new 991 P-car that is dedicated for Sundays and track use. 5 years ago she feared the power now she respects and enjoys it.

Cars are meant to be driven and any woman who respects the power should feel empowered to give it a shot. That's what insurance is for anyways.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Why so much hate about a true statement? Have you seen how soccer moms drive?
I think it's your PERSONAL OPINION ..... then BROAD GENERALIZED STUPID STATEMENT that got you in trouble here.

I mean really...... what is it EXACTLY that gives you the goofy and incorrect opinion that women can't handle this car?

Fact is this new Corvette is very well balanced. A fact that makes handling the power easier for any driver. It even comes electronic assistance in braking, steering and suspension settings.

Based on your statement I"m left scratching my head.

Why weren't women piling up cars on a REGULAR BASIS back in the 60s?

A period where power levels were lower but the brakes, suspension and bias ply tires far lower still.

Your also up against the Statistics from the auto insurance industry that puts men in more accidents than women.

The bottom line is pretty simple:

Driver skill sets are all about experience not the equipment in your lower abdomen. Any woman or man who has driven sport oriented cars is PROBABLY better prepared to drive this car safely than those who don't have that same experience........and in neither case does gender have a damned thing to do with it.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Bat7Man
Racer

While the car will be my primary car, we have three kids (11,9,2). I am NORMALLY not in a situation where I need to take more than one of them, but if I do we will trade cars and she will take the C7. While I am not thrilled with the idea, that was a choice I made when I decided to get the car. She will NEVER "open it up" because she isn't in to that. I just have to teach her how to back into a parking space.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
My hats off to anyone who can afford a new vette, wife and girlfriend. Luckeeeeeee!
......... I noticed that too.

The guy who can juggle all this in his life can probably also figure out how to keep other people from driving his car should he want to keep it to himself exclusively.

BUT....

I'm betting he'd know better than to try and make the lame argument, "It's too much car for you!"

The guy that might attempt that sort of condescending statement or even just projects the attitude.....probably has his hands full with one woman......never-mind two.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM
rmarc7828
Advanced

Been married for 40 years to the same woman. We started dating when we were 16. I taught her how to drive and then a couple years later taught her how to shift (in a Pinto), not a good time and she has never driven a manual since. She owned a C5 auto with no problem. C7 is manual and I plan to teach her to drive it. She says no but I will still try.

Bottom line guys, we are who we are and have what we have because of them, they just have a funny way of getting their point across to us. If all else fails I will be proud to have her next to me enjoying the ride.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Texaggie
Instructor

Default Don't Let My Wife See This Comment

The question in this household is whether my mrsus will let me drive HER C7. This will be her fifth vette. My car is a CTS-V wagon and she can drive it any time her little old heart desires.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

idiot post OP
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Darn right! It was my wifes suggestion to buy the car, what do you say when your wife
says "Honey I think you should buy the new Corvette". Of course I will be driving it most of the time, Is it here yet?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

No, Daddy drives the Sports Coupes and Momma drives the Luxury Sedans.

Her CTS is coming - Plus she can't drive stick anyways lol

Originally Posted by rmarc7828
Bottom line guys, we are who we are and have what we have because of them, they just have a funny way of getting their point across to us. If all else fails I will be proud to have her next to me enjoying the ride.
If you're ever in Houston, TX - I'd love to buy you a beer... you've got your head on straight.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarc7828
Been married for 40 years to the same woman. We started dating when we were 16. I taught her how to drive and then a couple years later taught her how to shift (in a Pinto), not a good time and she has never driven a manual since. She owned a C5 auto with no problem. C7 is manual and I plan to teach her to drive it. She says no but I will still try.

That's nice you are going to teach her again. The C7 will probably be a lot easier than the Pinto for her, with the easier to modulate hydraulic clutch, a V8 that won't stall as easily, and now rev matching. That, and after 40 years, you probably know exactly what to say to boost her confidence, and make it fun for her.

Michael
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM
pgway
Racer

So far:
My best friend drove the Vette.
My wifes girl friend drove the Vette.
My Brother-in Law wouldn't - I think he is afraid of it.
My nephew wouldn't.
My wife has't - I think she is afraid of scratching it!
Everyone should have the opportunity to experience a Corvette once in their lifetime.
A few weeks ago, I took my Black Beauty to the car show at Patriots Place - I let a young boy sit it in the drivers seat so his dad could take a picture!
The look on the face of that youngster was priceless.
He is definetely a Future Corvette owner!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 AM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A few weeks ago, we went to look at the C7 in person at a local dealer. Was a sold car, so we did not get to drive it. Just for the fun of it, the dealer let us take a C6 Convertible for a little joy ride. My daily driver is a manual 5 speed Nissan 300ZX. The clutch, throttle response, and torque is a lot different in the Vette, the seat was not adjusted quite right, and I embarrassed myself in the dealer's lot right in front of everybody there. First I stalled it. Then to make sure I avoided doing that again, I spun the tires quite a bit pulling out of the driveway and drifted half down the block (and pretended I did it on purpose). Pretty much made it look like I am not qualified to buy a Corvette!

Later in the drive, Wife switches to drive and has no problem in her 5" heels. She rarely drives the sports car and not sure where she even had the experience to drive the thing, but was pretty aggressive with it and made me look like quite the amateur.

So not so much a matter of trusting her to drive it. Will be more a matter of her having to pry it out of my hands to get her turn!

Pre-teen daughter (and eventually son as well ) are the ones I will have to think hard about. I think the new drivers in the family will be driving the truck for a few years first while they get the 30% crash per year learning curve out of the way.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:54 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
She's an exception. Most women I know don't drive those cars because of the power. And how would she explain it to her friends that she bought a corvette and not get a few laughs or two. It's seen as a toy for grown men haha.
Wow...

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone letting their wife or g/f drive the c7?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

My wife drove our 550rwhp C6Z without a problem. She daily drove my old ctsv until we had our baby last year.

We've both driven the C7 and plan on adding a 2015.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Never
Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

My wife's daily driver is a Mercedes. I invited her to drive the Vette. When I offered to turn the NPP back to auto, she said "Hell No, I want to see what this baby can do," and then proceeded to do just that.

Who knew?

Quick Reply: Anyone letting their wife or g/f drive the c7?