Sponsored by:

Would a dealer or an individual please pass this along to a Corvette executive

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowray
Just like big government, big companies lack the ability to think or adapt quickly. Mine is at 1200, ordered on 6-25.
Listen, snowflake, this is a highly automated build process. These aren't hand built cars where they could easily swap things out.

Just because you "think" it is easy to do, means it is the farthest thing from.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Some very good points here. The real situation is here is the supplier/maker of the carbon roofs. I can't imagine they didn't think the exposed top wouldn't be popular. Then add to that the base roof is carbon as well, that's alot of lids folks. The supplier should have done their logistical homework a little better if you ask me.

I also understand the idea of getting the transparent roof now and the carbon roof when it is ready. However, if I look at this from a manufacturing stand point, there's alot of costly risk here. First, I'm sure that the roof panels are painted along with the body panels from the particular car, so that they are painted with the same batch of paint. If they didn't do this, you might have roofs that were just a tad off from the rest of the car by using different batch mixes. Then they would have to repaint them all under warranty until they got the exact match, maybe even have to paint the whole car.

So in the end, you would still wind up being without your car for at least a little while, if it needed to be matched later on. I personally would just rather wait it out and have no worries about it from the start, then to have to send the car off to the paint shop later.

Just my $.02

and

"Listen, snowflake, this is a highly automated build process. These aren't hand built cars where they could easily swap things out. Just because you "think" it is easy to do, means it is the farthest thing from.

I'm always amazed by the complete lack of understanding of how major manufacturing entities work.
People, its not the machine shop down the block making a one of a kind piece for you. Remember, you ordered the first run of rather complicated automobile! Duh...
But, I suppose you all need to vent, so here's the place to do it.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 09-22-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 AM
jimb77
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
GM isn't stupid.
Are you sure? They went under except the gov't saved them. Are you aware the 1st generation Volts were destroyed back when Toyota was making the 1st generation Prius.

Or maybe you mean about the C7 only.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb77
are you sure? They went under except the gov't saved them. Are you aware the 1st generation volts were destroyed back when toyota was making the 1st generation prius.

Or maybe you mean about the c7 only.
yawn.....
Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 PM
yellowray
Instructor

Originally Posted by harlold
Listen, snowflake, this is a highly automated build process. These aren't hand built cars where they could easily swap things out.

Just because you "think" it is easy to do, means it is the farthest thing from.
Ok Petunia, it's poor automated system that cant adapt to the real world. There will always be strikes, cargo losses or the human error. I believe this plant is fully capable of any changes needed and there are humans (not zombies) in there, not just robots. This is not changing from an manual to an automatic for crying out loud, it's a roof swap/omit Someone makes the call on what happens at this level of shortage, not just a program. Chill people, the cars are screaming off the line and the constraints and quality holds wont last long.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM
illiceman11
Advanced

A change to a different roof would cause a shortage of that roof if it was not also on order with the ordered car.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
...I also understand the idea of getting the transparent roof now and the carbon roof when it is ready. However, if I look at this from a manufacturing stand point, there's alot of costly risk here. First, I'm sure that the roof panels are painted along with the body panels from the particular car, so that they are painted with the same batch of paint. If they didn't do this, you might have roofs that were just a tad off from the rest of the car by using different batch mixes...
I think this may be getting to the root of the roof issues. Since no one has been on a BG assembly plant tour for the C7 we don’t know exactly how the roof panel is completed. The roof panels may come to BG with that super expensive $2,000 per gallon UV resistant clear coat already applied, or they may come bare and all coating is done in the BG paint shop. In any event the body-color paint is almost certainly applied at BG after the clear (hence the raised step at the paint line). We have seen speculation here that the problems could be in the woven CF lay-up AND/OR in the clear and body-color paint application.

If my speculation the body-color paint is applied at BG is correct, to build the cars with a transparent roof now and then ship the exposed CF roofs later, the paint shop would have to do a run of just roofs with the right number of each color ordered. I doubt color-matching would be an issue with modern computer controlled paint mixing. However, this is far more complicated than shipping the cars with body-color roofs then sending or selling the transparent roofs (no paint) later.

This is all possible and in-fact it would appear obvious the plant will have to do it for some of the cars that have been built, then had the exposed CF roof fail final QC. This is really no different than any car with bad/damaged paint on a panel that has to be re-done post QC. I just don’t think GM would do it on purpose and create a planned out-of-sequence run of roofs.

In the end, whether the problem is defective CF panels from the supplier, or an unreliable paint process, I am sure they will get it fixed. Perhaps we get some more details on the real nature of the problem once plant tours start back up on September 30 and the forum member who are taking the R8C tour see how the roofs are made and painted.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:46 PM
3musky3
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

so when you order an extra top does it show up in the back of the car or is it shipped to dealer?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 3musky3
so when you order an extra top does it show up in the back of the car or is it shipped to dealer?
In 2005 (first year of C6), the clear top was constrained. I was contacted and i approved my order being changed from duel roof panels to a painted top. My car was released and produced immediately. The price was reduced and I took delivery. If you looked at the car in the manufacturing system, it was a painted roof car. A couple of months later, I was notified that a clear top was available from my dealer at a reduced price if I wanted it. The next week I went to the dealership parts department and picked up my top. The only problem was the box was too large to fit in my coupe. The salesman helped me unbox it and place it in the carry position in the rear hatch of my coupe. I was a happy camper because I got to decide how the situation was addressed.

Last edited by dollarbill; 09-22-2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
RE: Carbon Fiber Roof Constraint Strategy/Solution

If a customer has ordered C2M Dual Carbon Fiber Dual Roof Package which includes (C2Z) visible carbon fiber roof panel with body color surround and (CC3) transparent roof panel, why are you making him change their order OR RISK being passed over? Why don't you build and ship the car with the transparent roof panel and then ship the carbon fiber to the dealer when available?

Most of these customers are loyal long term customers you put deposits down 10 to 14 months ago, and now you are telling them they could miss their build date? The customer did not create this problem.

This is a much more customer oriented solution. You may even get a customer who only ordered only a Carbon Fiber Roof Panel to upgrade to a dual room option, which is more $$$$ for Chevy.

Thank you for hearing me out and I hope an influential dealer or person passes this along to the appropriate person at the Corvette Team.

While I understand and empathize with people's concerns, I have a real hard time understanding why people think talking to anyone here @CF about it is somehow more meaningful/effective than finding a direct connection to GM such as your dealer/Customer Service/whoever@GM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
While I understand and empathize with people's concerns, I have a real hard time understanding why people think talking to anyone here @CF about it is somehow more meaningful/effective than finding a direct connection to GM such as your dealer/Customer Service/whoever@GM.

I have already spoken to my dealer and he is speaking with his "GM rep".

I thought that there might also be a "connection" on this forum.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:03 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I passed it on to a high level person who has been known to get involved. It he emails you please do not post his email address to the forum.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I passed it on to a high level person who has been known to get involved. It he emails you please do not post his email address to the forum.
b4i4getit,

Will do!!

Thank you!! This will benefit many of us!!

Much appreciated!!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Hate to be a wet blanket but doubt that they would make any special arrangements. Many of us have changed our orders to avoid the constraint and if they offered a different solution now everybody would go bonkers. Plus it's a mass production scenario and doesn't lend itself to making notes and shipping parts after the fact.

It's either wait or change IMHO.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Zhuskers1
RE: Carbon Fiber Roof Constraint Strategy/Solution

If a customer has ordered C2M Dual Carbon Fiber Dual Roof Package which includes (C2Z) visible carbon fiber roof panel with body color surround and (CC3) transparent roof panel, why are you making him change their order OR RISK being passed over? Why don't you build and ship the car with the transparent roof panel and then ship the carbon fiber to the dealer when available?

Most of these customers are loyal long term customers you put deposits down 10 to 14 months ago, and now you are telling them they could miss their build date? The customer did not create this problem.

This is a much more customer oriented solution. You may even get a customer who only ordered only a Carbon Fiber Roof Panel to upgrade to a dual room option, which is more $$$$ for Chevy.

Thank you for hearing me out and I hope an influential dealer or person passes this along to the appropriate person at the Corvette Team.

This really is a great idea. Unfortunately, it can't be done. If you order a car with a dual roof package for example, the two roof option will show on the RPO code label and on the window sticker (Monroney Sticker). If it is listed on there, it is required by law for the car to ship with all content disclosed on the sticker.

General Motors could be fined for content included in the price of the car not shipping with the car.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:52 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=talon90;1584990077[/QUOTE]

HEY - look who it is - I figured you took delivery of a C7 and headed out for parts unknown.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:33 PM
billyskis
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default For you na sayers

I hope I didn’t out smart myself. Monday I sat down with my salesman and hand full of documents from the Corvette Forum about the C2Z CF top. He started making call and was able to get in touch with someone that would move my order from sequence 3000 to 2000, delete C2Z add CC3 transparent top then move it back to 3000. I noticed on your update list “group C”, billyskis, RCBWDT, is now at 2000. I hope that Wednesday it is back at 3000 and ready to fly thru production.

CF has so much reliable info that it has become the only trusted source on the deliver on our cars. THANKS YOU SO MUCH.

Billyv
Old 09-25-2013, 06:03 PM
sanders9759
Cruising

If someone wanted a dual roof package, say the C2Q ( Painted Carbon Fiber and Transparent ) wouldn't it be logical to order the car with the painted roof panel ( standard ) and then buy the transparent panel through the parts dept? You will probably pay more for the transparent but you would get the painted one free. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Would a dealer or an individual please pass this along to a Corvette executive