C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do they wash the C7 before they put the cover on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rcallen484
I think everyone is meaning to imply that they believe GM knows what they are doing and will install the protective covers in a proper way, including at least rinsing any accumulated dust/dirt/whatever off.
This has to be the answer, because selling a car does not make GM any money if they have tons of warranty claims against it. Getting it on the road is only 1/2 the equation of success, it's getting thru the warranty period without having to shell out that profit you just made. If they were just haphazardly throwing the covers on the car, producing scratches and swirls, when they got to the dealer they would already have several hours of labor/warranty against the car. They are smarter than that.

warranty expense/profit retention is what keeps GM making a better car, almost more important that thinking of the customer....

That's why it's kinda a needless question....
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't imagine they wouldn't clean them before covering them. Maybe you should call them and ask them NOT to cover yours if you have any concerns.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

GM business is building cars.

Not washing them.

Any more questions?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Previous threads have established that GM has done a lot of practice shipments to iron out the details of shipping tue C7. I doubt that they overlooked the aspect of covering cars that have been in the lot for some time. I have confidence that they don't want to deliver cars that are flawed in any way.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM
cdavekirk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL. OMG the C7 forum is quite the volatile place. I don't have a C7 on order and I think it's great that GM is covering the car prior to shipment. However the thought did cross my mind about the cover. Throwing a cover on a car covered in grime and then having the wind slap the cover around for possibly a couple thousand miles while sitting on the carrier will not be good for the paint. Not sure if it's still close to plant or not but according to a BG worker that I talked to at Carlisle there is a concrete "plant" close by that likes to coat the cars with the dust depending on the prevailing breeze. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wouldn't be thrilled by paying 60-70 grand and getting a car scratched up by a cover slapping around on a layer of grime.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I had a nightmarish experience a few years ago on a new 09 that had been on the lot for only a couple days. I made the mistake of thinking that since it just arrived and had only a couple miles on it that I didn't need to look for flawed paint. Turns out the next day as I was looking at the car in the sun I relaized the paint was contaminated by this sandy looking material that had embedded itself in the paint. The dealer tried to take care of the issue and totally trashed the car by buffing the &&**^ out of it. Chevy's regional manager looked at the mess and called it acceptable. I called it a bunch of BS. I took a pretty good hit on that car to get out of it.

Just lookin' out for my brothers..
Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
GM business is building cars.

Not washing them.

Any more questions?
You failed. GM's business is building and selling cars and car parts and thereby making money. Before installing a PROTECTIVE COVER on a car painstakingly assembled, commonsense in furtherance of the corporate purpose dictates the car be rinsed off.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You failed. GM's business is building and selling cars and car parts and thereby making money. Before installing a PROTECTIVE COVER on a car painstakingly assembled, commonsense in furtherance of the corporate purpose dictates the car be rinsed off.
Or. Maybe you failed at thinking about this realistically.

As a person that has a used a car cover for several years on my own C6 that sat outdoor 24/7. I have no doubt that a brand new vehicle that has rolled off the production floor to sit in a parking lot 100 feet away, does not need to be washed before putting a cover on. Even if it were to rain on the parked C7's sitting at BG, these vehicles arent moving and getting shipped as fast as they can be produced. Its not like they are sitting in an outdoor lot for 6 months before shipping to a dealer. Many of these C7's just rolled off the assembly line in the past week or so.

They simply do not have a opportunity to get dirty enough, while sitting parked in an lot to warranty additional cleaning before installing a car cover.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
My bet is on that too. But it did seem like a good faith question.
It would have been a very good question 30 years ago, in the era of "nobody sweats the details at GM" when cars would leave the factory in indifferent condition. Just pull out some 80s car mags to remember stories about Oldsmobiles with the "Ciera" nameplate upside down.

These days, asking whether the BG crew will do the right thing is an utterly stupid question. They are taking their time to get everything right, and it's just silly to worry yourself sick over wash-before-cover or vice versa. If the Corvette's surface is not to your satisfaction, then refuse delivery and go buy an Aston Martin that doesn't perform as well and probably won't be as reliable and definitely costs two to five times as much, but will have outstanding paint and interior.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

They simply do not have a opportunity to get dirty enough, while sitting parked in an lot to warranty additional cleaning before installing a car cover.
I am the kind of person that tries to choose the words I use to accurately portray my thought. Thus, the word "rinse".
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Wagon Master
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are the cars going to Nashville?

It was noted that the cars need to get to Nashville. Is that a shipping point before they go to the dealers?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Fast Lane
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

GM has hired James Brown's cape man Danny Ray to install the covers right after the dyno test.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I have no doubt that a brand new vehicle that has rolled off the production floor to sit in a parking lot 100 feet away, does not need to be washed before putting a cover on. Even if it were to rain on the parked C7's sitting at BG, these vehicles arent moving and getting shipped as fast as they can be produced. Its not like they are sitting in an outdoor lot for 6 months before shipping to a dealer. Many of these C7's just rolled off the assembly line in the past week or so.

I guess you haven't visited a car assembly plant. There are plenty of dirty cars waiting to be shipped. One day at some plants, and the car is filthy. They generally don't build them in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Hopefully, they put the cover on right away, so it doesn't need to be washed.

Michael
Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

We just took delivery of a Buick Encore that was built and shipped from Korea. I clay barred it today and the clay bar was almost spotless and the paint near perfect. If they can ship something like that, from that far away and have it arrive in pristine condition, I'm sure that little ride from Kentucky will not be a problem....
Old 09-19-2013, 10:13 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
We just took delivery of a Buick Encore that was built and shipped from Korea. I clay barred it today and the clay bar was almost spotless and the paint near perfect. If they can ship something like that, from that far away and have it arrive in pristine condition, I'm sure that little ride from Kentucky will not be a problem....
Brief sidetrack--- meanwhile some KIAs are probably assembled here, right?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Brief sidetrack--- meanwhile some KIAs are probably assembled here, right?
Yes, I know, crazy isn't it?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Or. Maybe you failed at thinking about this realistically.

As a person that has a used a car cover for several years on my own C6 that sat outdoor 24/7. I have no doubt that a brand new vehicle that has rolled off the production floor to sit in a parking lot 100 feet away, does not need to be washed before putting a cover on. Even if it were to rain on the parked C7's sitting at BG, these vehicles arent moving and getting shipped as fast as they can be produced. Its not like they are sitting in an outdoor lot for 6 months before shipping to a dealer. Many of these C7's just rolled off the assembly line in the past week or so.

If I park my car outside for two weeks it is dirty as hell. My car was built on 9/4 and hasn't shipped yet. So today is 15 days sitting outside getting dirty. I have no doubt it will be swirled especially after the dealer gets done with it. Oh well, I will fix it.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
It would have been a very good question 30 years ago, in the era of "nobody sweats the details at GM" when cars would leave the factory in indifferent condition. Just pull out some 80s car mags to remember stories about Oldsmobiles with the "Ciera" nameplate upside down.

These days, asking whether the BG crew will do the right thing is an utterly stupid question. They are taking their time to get everything right, and it's just silly to worry yourself sick over wash-before-cover or vice versa. If the Corvette's surface is not to your satisfaction, then refuse delivery and go buy an Aston Martin that doesn't perform as well and probably won't be as reliable and definitely costs two to five times as much, but will have outstanding paint and interior.
THIS RIGHT HERE is exactly why they probably don't care. If they mess something up then you can refuse it and there will be a hundred guys behind you that will buy it. That is why it really doesn't matter whether they have good CS or acceptable paint practices. The car is going to sell no matter what.

Get notified of new replies

To Do they wash the C7 before they put the cover on?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 972 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by WildVettes
THIS RIGHT HERE is exactly why they probably don't care. If they mess something up then you can refuse it and there will be a hundred guys behind you that will buy it. That is why it really doesn't matter whether they have good CS or acceptable paint practices. The car is going to sell no matter what.
hogwash...from the plant itself, to the dealer delivery to the actual customer score, this world now runs on CSI = Custmer Satisfaction Index and other metrics - even plants are scored for quality build/delivery satisfaction...

believe me they care....

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf...esults_le.html

Last edited by Glen e; 09-19-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Glen e
hogwash...from the plant itself, to the dealer delivery to the actual customer score, this world now runs on CSI = Custmer Satisfaction Index and other metrics - even plants are scored for quality build/delivery satisfaction...

believe me they care....
Overall yes I am sure they do, when production drops to 12,000 per year and Corvettes are sitting in rows on dealer lots..

If they did they wouldn't have told me I didn't qualify for a $1000 another customer did because I didn't get the pop up.

In my opinion a "private offer" is no longer private when someone knows about it and it should be honored when a customer asks about it.

As it sits right now there are people out there getting a free $1000 because they got a pop up. That is a seriously expensive pop up and honestly $1000 is $1000 no matter how much money you have.

There are plenty of GM employees on this site INCLUDING people that work in customer service and not one single time have they commented on the issues. If they care so much why wouldn't they address it on a site of 150,000+ enthusiasts?

Ok done venting my frustration for the day.

Last edited by WildVettes; 09-19-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 PM
londonk
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
im with you on that they dont give a $hit about the paint..... my friends brand new ZR1 was delivered and it was in horrible condition he was not happy with the condition of the car it took 20 plus hours of correction to get it back to snuff.

Quick Reply: Do they wash the C7 before they put the cover on?