C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone putting winter tires on their C7 w or w/o Z51?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Is anyone putting winter tires on their C7 w or w/o Z51?

Living in the snow belt I'll be damned if I let a winter go by without being able to drive it so a member showed me a set of 19's and 20's, Pirelli Sub Zero's for $1500, I will mount them on stock rims because as of yet I don't know where to get cheap aftermarket ones. I drove my C5 with winters mounted on it every year for the 6 that I've owned it, great fun and is an absolute pleasure to drive in the snow.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 AM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I will be, but I am putting off the purchase for a bit hoping for a some better options to appear quickly.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:28 AM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Living in the snow belt I'll be damned if I let a winter go by without being able to drive it so a member showed me a set of 19's and 20's, Pirelli Sub Zero's for $1500, I will mount them on stock rims because as of yet I don't know where to get cheap aftermarket ones. I drove my C5 with winters mounted on it every year for the 6 that I've owned it, great fun and is an absolute pleasure to drive in the snow.
Well living in Calgary I guess you don't have much choice if you want to drive your car much Down in more temperate climes we tend to get maybe zero to four or five snow storms a year, during which my baby is going to be warm and snug in her garage while I flog the DD!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

"Absolute pleasure to drive in the snow! " But you look like an an idiot! Look like you had to reach to get the Corvette so you absolutly can't afford a 4 wheel drive for those snow days! Always one in the crowd
"Where do I get snow tires! For the people that don't get it!
The sand and gravel spray from one winter's driving will pit your paint!~ Then when you sell it make sure you tell then It is your "only car"
Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
"Absolute pleasure to drive in the snow! " But you look like an an idiot! Look like you had to reach to get the Corvette so you absolutly can't afford a 4 wheel drive for those snow days! Always one in the crowd
The sand and gravel spray from one winter's driving will pit your paint!~ Then when you sell it make sure you tell then It is your "only car"
Well for one I really couldn't give a rat's butt what people thought about me, my car will be better than 95% of all the other cars on the road so if they think I'm an idiot and couldn't afford (yeah, I have a $72,000 car but can't afford an SUV) an AWD SUV then so be it, I don't care because I know different.

If you want your car to be a garage queen good for you, I'm going to do what I want to do with MY car, go ahead, worry about what your paint will look like, me for one will enjoy my car year round while yours is in the garage I will be delightfully driving mine around. Yeah I have an Explorer for the really bad days which amount to maybe 15 out of 365, not too bad IMO. As for a pleasure, damn rights it is........

Try not to have a cornerary........

Last edited by themonk; 09-15-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:15 AM
KingMotley
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Actually, you sound like the idiot. You can hardly put a sentence together. I plan on driving my car, not locking it away in the garage. It's not my only car, but I'll be driving it in the snow quite often, and reserve my other car only for the worst of days. Yes, the paint will get scratched (OH NO!) and I'll park it in the sun almost every day.

You sound like the guy who had to "reach" for the corvette, having to make sure to baby it so you can resell it for maximum value when you are done with it. I'll drive mine into the ground and when it dies, I'll go get another one and do it all over again. I buy my cars to enjoy them, not some sort of weird reverse investment scheme. I have stocks for that, but thank you for your concern over my finances. Sort of reminds me of the guy who kept his toys in the package while all the other kids were out having fun with theirs. I don't ever think back and wish I still had my toys in their box looking all pretty.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:20 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What tires you run there? The Michelin Pilot Super Sports (summer tires):

Don't look like the would work nearly as good as the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus:

Well for one I really couldn't give a rat's butt what people thought about me, my car will be better than 95% of all the other cars on the road so if they think I'm an idiot and couldn't afford (yeah, I have a $72,000 car but can't afford an SUV) an AWD SUV then so be it, I don't care because I know different.

If you want your car to be a garage queen good for you, I'm going to do what I want to do with MY car, go ahead, worry about what your paint will look like, me for one will enjoy my car year round while yours is in the garage I will be delightfully driving mine around. Yeah I have an Explorer for the really bad days which amount to maybe 15 out of 365, not too bad IMO. As for a pleasure, damn rights it is........

Old 09-15-2013, 02:41 AM
DevonK
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

There's been something up already about winters from Chevrolet - there are some Michelins that they recommend. I believe it was on that GM Techlink web site, may also be in the owner's manual. EDIT - a quote: - "Due to the limited production of the Corvette Stingray, the only winter tire currently available is the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. Other tires may become available at a later date."

And I'd concur with the view that it's RocknBlue who looks like the idiot here...

Last edited by DevonK; 09-15-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:45 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rcallen484
What tires you run there? The Michelin Pilot Super Sports (summer tires):

Don't look like the would work nearly as good as the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Z51%20Package

on the C5, Cooper Weather Masters up front, Blizzaks on the rear, never once did I get stuck, no word of a lie, the Corvette is an excellent winter car, just watch out for the high center mounds.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 AM
KingMotley
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

I don't mind that other people want to keep their cars in pristine shape and pull them out on the weekends. But I think it's a fairly narrow view to think that just because someone else doesn't want to do the same that they are an idiot. I've run blizzaks in the past, but I have some doubts that they have a tire size that I can find a custom rim that'll fit on the corvette. I'll leave that up to my tire experts to work out, but I'll likely get a set of those if there is a way to actually get them on the car.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 AM
EvoXvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I end up buying a vette, I will be driving it during the winter as well. Cars are meant to be driven not parked all year. Hell people drive GTRs and 911s here during the winter. I think you are just a troll.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:27 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I agree with the original poster. I drive my c6 with 65k miles on it all year round in the NY metro area.

I've never had a problem other than the day of a snow storm I make plans to stay home. I've did this even before I owned corvettes..

From a time management perspective it never made sense to travel in any car in expected blizzars etc.. That was always a good day to plan a home office day...

Otherwise...the corvette everyday makes a lot of sense...the day after a storm after they plow at least once..the corvette travels just fine.

Enjoy your car...it loves cold air....its fun! And fwiw..others on the road give you thumbs up for using the corvette all year long...

Some question it and I tell them its just a car...they love that answer.

I wash and wax every week. I garage the cars...I hit it with an orbital polisher every 6 months or so...the cars showroom beautiful.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

One of my best friends, who passed away last month from our Corvette/Cobra club, use to drive his '63 split window C2 in the snow back east. The only idiot sounding off in this thread is you.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 AM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michelin Super Sports A/S 3 might work for some of you. It's an all season tire, and it comes in Z51 sizes.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

If you want true winter tires, check out this article on the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:41 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Just my 2 cents, I put Continental DWS all weather on my 2007 .... handle great ,quiet .....rated ( top ) in catagory ...I live in Massachusetts it can go rom 60 to slush quickly .. go to Tire rack site & look at testing on, ultra high performance all weather tires ............They have an interesting listing of all tires & each catogory .....based upon testing & owners evaluation

The Dog,

Last edited by StrayDog; 09-15-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: more info

Get notified of new replies

To Is anyone putting winter tires on their C7 w or w/o Z51?

Old 09-15-2013, 09:42 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by KingMotley
Actually, you sound like the idiot. You can hardly put a sentence together. I plan on driving my car, not locking it away in the garage. It's not my only car, but I'll be driving it in the snow quite often, and reserve my other car only for the worst of days. Yes, the paint will get scratched (OH NO!) and I'll park it in the sun almost every day.

You sound like the guy who had to "reach" for the corvette, having to make sure to baby it so you can resell it for maximum value when you are done with it. I'll drive mine into the ground and when it dies, I'll go get another one and do it all over again. I buy my cars to enjoy them, not some sort of weird reverse investment scheme. I have stocks for that, but thank you for your concern over my finances. Sort of reminds me of the guy who kept his toys in the package while all the other kids were out having fun with theirs. I don't ever think back and wish I still had my toys in their box looking all pretty.
its actually a law in quebec,they will not let you drive in winter without winter tires...might as well put them on and enjoy the car on the better days,besides with my base suspension and 18 -19 inch tire set up,the prices are reasonable and there are plenty of selections.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 AM
EvoXvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
If you want true winter tires, check out this article on the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4.
I run those on my evo and needless to say, the car is a beast. Doesn't matter how bad the snow is, the evo will drive like its summer.

And all seasons won't work for a Canadian winter on a rwd car with this much torque. It must be a dedicated winter tire.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NICE!...In my opinion the only way to truly enjoy these cars..."Daily Drivers"

Quick Reply: Is anyone putting winter tires on their C7 w or w/o Z51?