C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does everyone think of the Corvette configurator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 PM
HendrickCorvette
Premium Supporting Dealership

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What does everyone think of the Corvette configurator?

What does everyone think of the Corvette configurator? Do you think it gives you all the options you'd want to see when building out your Stingray?

http://blog.chevroletcorvetteusa.com/?p=308
Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Better than nothing, which we had for months on end.

Not being able to clearly see color combo's is a huge negative, especially when trying to decide between the 3 levels of trim.

But, worst of all, it's just plain cheap looking and not a great emotional experience like it's competitors. It's like an engineer did it: "Here's all you need to now. Now order it and go back to work."

Building your own car should be fun. This looks more like point and click.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Half baked...
Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM
HendrickCorvette
Premium Supporting Dealership

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hopefully, Chevrolet will adjust soon to allow color combos to show through. At least it allows a user to get an idea of what a Stingray will cost them with the features they like.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by HendrickCorvette
Hopefully, Chevrolet will adjust soon to allow color combos to show through. At least it allows a user to get an idea of what a Stingray will cost them with the features they like.
An accountant would love what they've created.

A designer would hate what they've created.

I think when you offer a bespoke program, you ask each person to become their own car designer. They want an personal attachment to the car or just go down to the local dealer and pick one off the lot you like.

It's not a numbers game to create your own individual car. It's an emotional game.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 369 Posts

Meh!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Sin City

Not being able to clearly see color combo's is a huge negative, especially when trying to decide between the 3 levels of trim.

But, worst of all, it's just plain cheap looking and not a great emotional experience like it's competitors. It's like an engineer did it: "Here's all you need to now. Now order it and go back to work."

I concur - looks very rushed - no 360 views of what you build - no save of builds, no pics of options - very unfinished...but then the whole Chev site is pretty basic compared to other mfrs....
Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's just brilliant that the LT3Z51 configurator is exactly the same system as the Sonic configurator ("from $12,170".) Except Sonicers and Sparkers can actually see their body color options.

Sure would be helpful to to see all the alternative body color/interior color combinations. Howsabout some creative, non-canned angles, close-ups, 3-D's? Maybe hire the amateur guys who built their site with crisp, accurate phoyography, alternative backgrounds and more.

Really mediocre.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City

I agree, and feel there are two main reasons for the configurator.
1) See how your color combinations and stripe options might look together.
2) Play with options to keep your price within your target range.

Some of us don't care about price, and others already know what color combinations we want. So it's not completely useless, but it's not production ready either.

Very Simply, This is General Motors and Chevrolet. One of the most recognized brands in the entire world. The person responsible to making this half-assed configurator available to the public should be admonished or fired.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM
HBJG
Racer

What does everyone think of the Corvette configurator? Do you think it gives you all the options you'd want to see when building out your Stingray?

What's really frustrating is that the configurator isn't even new! It's the same one that was used for the C6 so one has to ask: what's so hard about updating it with the image of the C7? Oh well

Does Porsche have to do everything right? Check out their configurator and if you do, view it in 3D mode.

http://cc.porsche.com/icc_pcna/ccCal...x1050&vLevel=2

Now that's a configurator.

Last edited by HBJG; 09-06-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 PM
G200 Pilot
Racer

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
I agree, and feel there are two main reasons for the configurator.
1) See how your color combinations and stripe options might look together.
2) Play with options to keep your price within your target range.

Some of us don't care about price, and others already know what color combinations we want. So it's not completely useless, but it's not production ready either.

Very Simply, This is General Motors and Chevrolet. One of the most recognized brands in the entire world. The person responsible to making this half-assed configurator available to the public should be admonished or fired.
very well said... It's hard to figure out what they're thinking...IMO this is the most exciting tool for potential buyers. BIG FUMBLE!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 PM
2014greenstingray
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Disappointing, for all the reasons cited by others. I do note that one error - the no charge kalahari indoor car cover - has been deleted. There is also no extra charge associated with the microfiber sueded seat inserts, which other information suggests cost an extra $325. Someone in Chevrolet must have a 13-year-old kid who can fix this up.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

I like it! Not matter what options I choose the price never changes. Fully loaded 2LT is only 59K
Old 09-05-2013, 03:49 PM
GrinderZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below average....if done right the configurator could be a powerful sales tool. It's not even close to that at this point.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised no one has pointed out how buggy it is. And I don't think it could just be me because I've tried it on multiple computers with different OSes and different browsers.

It doesn't include the prices of your options in the final total, it occasionally deselects options for no reason when you select something else (no incompatibility). Then there's the fact that it doesn't show you pictures of your color choice, which is either a bug or just a lack of data. Either way, it sucks.

So yeah, it's a terrible configurator. Hopefully it will be improved before too long. #FirstWorldProblems
Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Did GM outsource this?

Very poor configurator. Some functionality does not work, it looks like it's half complete and rushed to market (I hope the C7 fares better), and also looks like interns did this without supervision or were learning web graphics for the first time.

THis looks like something the old GM would roll out, not the new GM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Crappy but even the best does little for me. I drove and scoped out colors before I ordered.

Get notified of new replies

To What does everyone think of the Corvette configurator?

Old 09-05-2013, 05:27 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I'm surprised no one has pointed out how buggy it is. And I don't think it could just be me because I've tried it on multiple computers with different OSes and different browsers.

It doesn't include the prices of your options in the final total, it occasionally deselects options for no reason when you select something else (no incompatibility). Then there's the fact that it doesn't show you pictures of your color choice, which is either a bug or just a lack of data. Either way, it sucks.

So yeah, it's a terrible configurator. Hopefully it will be improved before too long. #FirstWorldProblems
Very poor configurator. Some functionality does not work, it looks like it's half complete and rushed to market (I hope the C7 fares better), and also looks like interns did this without supervision or were learning web graphics for the first time.

THis looks like something the old GM would roll out, not the new GM.
IT must have not known that the C7 was coming. Glad I got to seem them in Monterey. The configurator ought to have all the bells and whistles. This one falls way short.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Mike S
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be nice to be able to compare the exterior options with the interior choices. So far , Chevy does not offer that capability.

I've looked at a few other manufacturers' sites and none seem to offer everything we want.

Which manufacturer's on-line configurator do you believe Chevy should emulate?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To be brutally honest with you Iam very dissapointed in it. I have on order a "crystal red metallic" with the "carbon flash black full length dual racing stripes". On their site you cannot see what that color even looks like. Plus now they have taken down the dual stripes even as an option. I suppose now they aren't going to offer it so I'll have to go to a custom shop and pay around $2,000 to have them painted on. I have been on some other sites that are absolutely incredible what you can "configure". But certainly "NOT GM'S".

Quick Reply: What does everyone think of the Corvette configurator?