Sponsored by:

2016 zo7

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by WELEPRO
I'd be surprised if anything is announced the '14 autoshow. The current variant of C7 won't even be available to everyone at that point in time.

IF the C7 ZO? becomes a reality, I may consider upgrading my Z51. But in the mean time, life is short..... And you can't take it with you!
You have to understand that Z51 has been around forever, it is only an option, not a hi-Po car, I've had Z-51 in a couple C5's, going against a non Z51 car wasn't much of a difference, on the street nobody will be able to tell the difference.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by StingRaycer
I was told we would flying cars by 2023 - that's what I'm waiting for!! the ZR1-F-22??
Very good, thanks for the laugh!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

don't think it will make alot of diff. how fast they all go with the gov. planning to have the builders put camaras in the cars that read the speed limit signs and slow the car to that speed. when i don't know ?but read about it this morn. bummer
i wonder how thats going to work with cars going to slow ? guess they didn't think about that.

Last edited by lastcowboy; 09-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Apparently I can't say this enough times or in enough forums: Viper isn't on Team Corvette's RADAR. Not in the least. Nothing Team Corvette does for their street cars will be in any way, shape, or form, dictated by what the folks at SRT do.

My point: stop looking at the Viper as competition for the next up-level Corvette. Look elsewhere. Look at the faster Porsches and whatnot.
You can say that all you want, but I don't for a second believe that will be reality. GM can say it all they want, but the reality is that a Viper and the "uplevel" Corvette absolutely will be the competitors.

To compete against Porsche, what are they going to do....raise the price $50,000 and lower the horsepower to 400?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by jschindler
You can say that all you want, but I don't for a second believe that will be reality.
I can't help what you believe, only what I know to be fact.

GM can say it all they want, but the reality is that a Viper and the "uplevel" Corvette absolutely will be the competitors.
Perhaps in some folks view, but those folks don't work for GM (or least: not for Team Corvette). How the public perceives the Corvette and its direct competition isn't something GM can really do about. So yes, in certain circles, the two will be pitted against other.

Team Corvette doesn't care. Period.

To compete against Porsche, what are they going to do....raise the price $50,000 and lower the horsepower to 400?
Um. Really. Have you been paying attention to the Stingray as of late? Have you read up on the car that Team Corvette purchased to help get refinement and driver's feel ideas from? And the other car they purchased to get some interior bits and cues from?

Neither of those cars is a Viper, for what it's worth.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Vette Lag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
yup, subject has been talked about many times in the past week ........
can't make a post in someone else's thread without being a jacka$$? Welcome to where people talk about cars, and ignore you, or wish you would troll elsewhere!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jvp
Apparently I can't say this enough times or in enough forums: Viper isn't on Team Corvette's RADAR. Not in the least. Nothing Team Corvette does for their street cars will be in any way, shape, or form, dictated by what the folks at SRT do.

My point: stop looking at the Viper as competition for the next up-level Corvette. Look elsewhere. Look at the faster Porsches and whatnot.

The Viper will always be the Corvette's competition. Always. Look at how many people crossshop them.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 PM
C7envy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jvp

Perhaps in some folks view, but those folks don't work for GM (or least: not for Team Corvette). How the public perceives the Corvette and its direct competition isn't something GM can really do about. So yes, in certain circles, the two will be pitted against other.

Um. Really. Have you been paying attention to the Stingray as of late? Have you read up on the car that Team Corvette purchased to help get refinement and driver's feel ideas from? And the other car they purchased to get some interior bits and cues from?

Interesting since the stingray and viper interior look almost identical down to the grab handle
Old 09-04-2013, 06:10 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
The Viper will always be the Corvette's competition. Always. Look at how many people crossshop them.
Reading comprehension is fairly important as we get older and take part in public discourse such web forums like this one. Note I never said they weren't cross-shopped, though I doubt that happens anywhere near as often as you believe.

Originally Posted by C7envy
Interesting since the stingray and viper interior look almost identical down to the grab handle
Coincidence since they're both front engine/rear drive cars. Bear in mind: the C7's interior was set in stone before the Viper was introduced. So if you're implying they took cues from the Viper's interior, that's a bit of a stretch. The timing doesn't work.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 PM
cmeasley
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you all been blinded by the viper. the new kid on the block and true real competitor to the z06 is the new GTR. those cars have ***** and a **** ton of potential for under $100k. not to mention an epic awd system.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Nothing does ugly better than GTR.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

You totally missed my point.....totally! (Speaking of reading comprehension)

I am not arguing whether GM is trying to compete against one or the other. I am not arguing about how good the car is. What I said is that I think in the real world of the marketplace (meaning actual buyers), what I think is that most potential buyers are going to cross shop the "up level" Corvette more against the Viper than Porsche.

And yes, I get that it is just my opinion. Lets reconvene in a couple of years and see if I am right or not. My track record is that I will still be hanging out here, and I will own up to the truth.

Last edited by jschindler; 09-04-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lastcowboy
weii i guess gm didn't say anything about the elec. c7 either but thats in the works also . we must be reading two dif. things from gm.
guess we will just have to wait and see .

We are not reading 2 different things from GM. There has been NO OFFICIAL WORD from GM on the upcoming Corvette performance variant, period. If you say there has, please show us so that we may all be better informed.

As to the hybrid, the Pres of GM, during the course of an interview, said "I think it’s a very attractive idea, actually. I think it would be really fun to do, I think it would build capability inside our company and I think people would love it. It’s exciting stuff - cool enough not to laugh at.”

He, nor his comments say 'it's in the works'.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
It did for a few weeks, in one test I guess you forgot the memo, either way performance for both cars are world class, the viper is just built better, and in very low volume.
Don't forget that viper will have a ACR that will dominate again

It's going to be similar to the old times when the viper always outdid corvette, but this time the margin will be much closer , I am talking the fast models of each cars.

Good thing for corvette is that they can be tuned, the viper hasn't been cracked since the gen 4( the mopar module didn't do much )
SRT needs to get there **** together and take care of there customers, or there wont be a ACR coming up.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:20 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by jschindler
You totally missed my point.....totally! (Speaking of reading comprehension)
Really? Are you, perhaps, moving the goal posts on me? Here's the statement you made earlier in this thread that I replied to:

But I think if they plan to build just one uplevel model as the OP says, then they will want it to represent a true pinnacle that goes toe-to-toe with the Viper.
The "they" in this case was assumed to be GM.

I am not arguing whether GM is trying to compete against one or the other.
Hm. When I said that GM didn't care what the Viper guys were up to, you specifically replied with:

You can say that all you want, but I don't for a second believe that will be reality.
That combined with the previous quote I included in this thread leads me to believe you do believe GM considers the Viper a competitor.

What I said is that I think in the real world of the marketplace (meaning actual buyers), what I think is that most potential buyers are going to cross shop the "up level" Corvette more against the Viper than Porsche.
No, it's not what you said. At least not in the posts I was replying to. Pick a story and stick with it, eh?
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0SIXXXIN
Z06 MSRP will be around $100K for the first few years...then we will see huge discounts.

C5 Z06 came out around $50K.

C6 Z06 came out around $75K.

C7 Z06 will be around $100K.

I completely think that they will be able to get that for a few years no problem. Even if it was same price as viper, it would sell 10:1 over viper (viper is really only loved by enthusiasts....not the typical sports car guy....too raw and cumbersome for someone looking for a sports car). So the next real competitor is the 911. There's nothing really in between the Z06 and 911, therefore Chevrolet can jack the price up even further and not loose much business.
FYI the z06 came out at $65,800 in 2006
Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Really? Are you, perhaps, moving the goal posts on me? Here's the statement you made earlier in this thread that I replied to:

The "they" in this case was assumed to be GM.

Hm. When I said that GM didn't care what the Viper guys were up to, you specifically replied with:

That combined with the previous quote I included in this thread leads me to believe you do believe GM considers the Viper a competitor.

No, it's not what you said. At least not in the posts I was replying to. Pick a story and stick with it, eh?
He is correct and you are wrong. Period

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 zo7

Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Great, just in time for my warranty to run out and I can slap a supercharger on it that will push well past the 600 bhp mark maybe even border on Viper territory.

Last edited by themonk; 09-04-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Great just in time for my warranty to run out and I can slap a supercharger on it that will push well past the 600 bhp mark maybe even border on Viper territory.
Edelbrock actually includes a powertrain warranty with the e-force. Not sure how that works with a car out of factory warranty. Anyone know?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Edelbrock actually includes a powertrain warranty with the e-force. Not sure how that works with a car out of factory warranty. Anyone know?
But it's probably still in the development stage for the LT1 no?

Quick Reply: 2016 zo7