2014 Corvette Infotainment system seminar

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:31 AM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The "C" word

Originally Posted by talon90
My wife calls it "not the C word Again"...I think she'ii be happier than me when it arrives. It is "our" car after all
Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt's C7
- Also, does the factory audio/infotainment system decode and play FLAC streams, such as AAC or OGG/Vorbis audio format files? On that note, what files are supported? MP3/WMA, but what else?

- And what is the max size SD card supported by the system, or is it not an issue? I plan on putting my library on the largest SD I can find and leaving it installed.

- Also, can you perform file management between connected devices using the infotainment system, such as moving a few new songs off my USB-connected phone onto the SD card, etc?
Max SD card capacity was answered in another thread. It only supports SDHC, which means a maximum of 32GB. Don't waste extra money on a higher capacity SDXC card.

The Impala infotainment manual has been generally promoted as talking about the identical audio system that the Stingray has. It says this about formats:

‐ Applicable audio extensions are mp3, wma, aac, m4a, and aif.
‐ WMA and Apple lossless files are not supported.

I haven't seen any indication that file management (such as device-to-device movement) is possible. But I'll leave that to Paul/Talon to confirm.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Great stuff, Paul. Thanks for making the effort and for posting it.

U are right on, there's a lot to digest.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Andrew6
Great job

A few questions...
- Is the MyLink Wifi capable for updates or do you have to take it to the dealer?

- Is there are a hard drive with in the system if you want to download songs from your device or if you hear a song you love on the radio that you can download to the system to hear when you want?

- Is the screen video capable ie. with the right bypass can you watch movies on the screen (not saying I'm going to do that but just curious )

- If I don't like the factory "home screen" can I make or download my own screen and if so how difficult is this to do?

- I saw the sound system that was presented in the c7 but only shown was the "BOSE" system. In the base models does it come with a rear subwoofer? Also did you find out the wattage of the sound system Mosfet?

- Are updates only available via the dealer?

- I remember reading about apps being designed. If you have an idea for your own can you make one and is there a program available to help with this or is it limited only to GM ?
Thank you.

Here we go:

- No, the system is not WiFi capable.

- While there is storage capability you can't copy and store music there. It is there to store favorites, settings, etc and it is used by the system. There is no file managment capability. I asked the question and I think we came up with the fact that it has about 8 or 16GB available.

- The screen is capable of video playback but no service exists on the system to facilitate it at this time.

- Not aware of any modification capability available or planned for the home screen.

- Both Stingray systems are Bose. The base system is a nine speaker and the uplevel system is the ten speaker. Only the the ten speaker has the subwoofer in the rear. The nine speaker system gets it's thump from the two ten inch subs in the doors.

Bose is funny about wattage. They are focused on distortion free audio. Again, I asked and we determined that at optimum sound levels without distortion the system is 240 watts but peak (allowing for distortion) is more than double.

- Updates are only available by the dealer.

- There is a SDK available:

https://developer.gm.com/

Last edited by talon90; 09-02-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Max SD card capacity was answered in another thread. It only supports SDHC, which means a maximum of 32GB. Don't waste extra money on a higher capacity SDXC card.

The Impala infotainment manual has been generally promoted as talking about the identical audio system that the Stingray has. It says this about formats:

‐ Applicable audio extensions are mp3, wma, aac, m4a, and aif.
‐ WMA and Apple lossless files are not supported.

I haven't seen any indication that file management (such as device-to-device movement) is possible. But I'll leave that to Paul/Talon to confirm.
Wow, thank you for the assistance.

No device/file management is possible using the system. Take care of it using your PC/Mac.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:27 PM
DevonK
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

So no lossless, no CDs - a bit ironic, spending all this money on a supposedly higher-end audio setup and you cannot play high-fidelity recordings. Can it at least serve as a "dumb" amplifier - so you can play your lossless back on your iPod and feed the analog sound into the amp via a 1/8" plug?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Matt's C7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonK
So no lossless, no CDs - a bit ironic, spending all this money on a supposedly higher-end audio setup and you cannot play high-fidelity recordings. Can it at least serve as a "dumb" amplifier - so you can play your lossless back on your iPod and feed the analog sound into the amp via a 1/8" plug?
I hear you. That's pretty much what I was thinking...

It's very flashy, and I like it a lot. But wow, only MP3? I hope a software update comes out that fixes that. MP3 even encoded at minimal compression by the "best" encoders, is crap for music with high DR. It's fine for rock and R&B, but even some modern music like various dubstep exposes MP3's shortcomings, not to mention all the compression artifacts during vocals, etc.

I have to admit, I find this pretty disappointing. Guess I'll be getting a car preamp for the center console and using a digital audio player (with it's garbage DAC/Codec).
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM
1986C4Z51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, are you working for GM? If so, in what capacity? You all sound rightfully proud of your system, so please don't take offense at my question: is there a chance we'll have the option of deleting this system like in the Z/28? I don't buy sports cars for their entertainment systems and just consider them to be a liability. I know this makes me a member of a minority group, but my Corvettes typically are driven only a few hundred miles a year with most of it's mileage being on a trailer and the Chevy PU supplying the creature comforts.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Thanks Paul.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:14 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

Very informative, Paul! Thank you.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM
MRREDDOG
Advanced

If I don't select navigation when I buy the car, can it be added later via dealer at additional cost??
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 PM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Responses in RED

Originally Posted by talon90
Thank you.

Here we go:

- No, the system is not WiFi capable.
Well that sucks. I guess it should have blue tooth capabilities so you can stream wifi from phone or open it as a hotspot...

- While there is storage capability you can't copy and store music there. It is there to store favorites, settings, etc and it is used by the system. There is no file managment capability. I asked the question and I think we came up with the fact that it has about 8 or 16GB available.
I wonder if the future you can set up a external type hard drive to do this?

- The screen is capable of video playback but no service exists on the system to facilitate it at this time.
cool

- Not aware of any modification capability available or planned for the home screen.
I hope this comes available...

- Both Stingray systems are Bose. The base system is a nine speaker and the uplevel system is the ten speaker. Only the the ten speaker has the subwoofer in the rear. The nine speaker system gets it's thump from the two ten inch subs in the doors.
ahhh... I guess that's ok...

Bose is funny about wattage. They are focused on distortion free audio. Again, I asked and we determined that at optimum sound levels without distortion the system is 240 watts but peak (allowing for distortion) is more than double.
Not stressing too much about it. I can always upgrade as the system I currently have would make folks at bose cry

Free?

SDK?

https://developer.gm.com/
Old 09-02-2013, 09:26 PM
billsee
Instructor

Default iPOD

I watched about 10 minutes before giving up on my lousy internet bandwidth today. I didn't see the answer to my one question on other's postings so:

I put a GM aftermarket box on my '07 C6 so it runs and charges my 80GB iPod. It shows and allows me to scroll through playlists. Will my 2014 operate the iPod like this?

Hopefully later tonight traffic will drop and I'll be able to view all of your presentation.

Regards - billsee
Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by gthal
My wife gets annoyed with how much time I spend thinking about this car as it is so I will need to watch this after she goes to bed tonight
Originally Posted by Mike O'Daniel
HA! I thought it was just me.
Nope ! It's a whole bunch of us ............ And I don't even have the car on order yet ................ My s/o simply rolls her eyes when she walks by me mumbling something about "So much for no more Corvettes................"
Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 PM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talon,

Thank you very much for sharing this with us.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Paul,

Great video - I felt like I was in the front row!! very informative
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM
md8232
Cruising

Originally Posted by DevonK
See post 43. AIF is a lossless format.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Infotainment system seminar

Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew6
Responses in RED
Andrew, I'll try to help out on a couple of your response questions - Just based on my similar questions and participation in a number of these threads. I have zero firsthand experience with the new MyLink system and I am not in any way associated with GM or any manufacturers of the electronics. I'm just another civilian like you who is interested in the answers!

Free?
>> No pricing has been announced and nobody is willing to answer this question yet. We are guessing that there will be a service cost associated with it, because... well... there is a service cost associated with EVERYTHING!

SDK?
>> Software Development Kit - Programming tools and interface specifications that let third-party developers create additional apps and linkages to their programs. This should eventually let the system be expandable so you will be able to buy and install applications that will run on the car's electronics. Nice expansion path for the future, but does not affect initial deliveries and operation of the system.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I have a few questions.

Why is there no ability to control the climate control settings from the steering wheel? It is all linked in the software and should have been relatively easy I think. On the same topic, does the climate control system have a way to truly turn off the automatic setting? I hate in the C6 that even with auto turned off, recirc (aka higher blower output) automatically kicks in every time.

I looked through the available in-vehicle API information and it seems pretty limited. Is there any ability for the API to gain access to useful system parameters? (i.e. information from the ECU/BCU, information normally displayed on the HUD, etc.)
Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by 1986C4Z51
Paul, are you working for GM? If so, in what capacity? You all sound rightfully proud of your system, so please don't take offense at my question: is there a chance we'll have the option of deleting this system like in the Z/28? I don't buy sports cars for their entertainment systems and just consider them to be a liability. I know this makes me a member of a minority group, but my Corvettes typically are driven only a few hundred miles a year with most of it's mileage being on a trailer and the Chevy PU supplying the creature comforts.
There is no option for a radio delete.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Infotainment system seminar