Sponsored by:

Great wrap-up to Autoweek cross-country drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 AM
DevonK
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Great wrap-up to Autoweek cross-country drive

The best of the articles so far. Interesting that the reviewer who has had the greatest amount of wheel time has written what may be the most positive review to date about the car:
This Corvette is a masterpiece. Since the C5, Chevy has been working its way to a Corvette that is more than a great car for the money and is instead just a great car. This C7 is that car. No more apologies about the seats and switchgear, no more “yeah but” -- this is a car that competes with the very best from Germany on every single front, with the possible exception of snootiness -- as good as it is, you won't have to buy special shoes or gloves or scarves to drive one. The only reason GM isn't asking $80,000 for a base Corvette is that Corvette owners would lose their … minds.

Last edited by DevonK; 08-28-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

. The only reason GM isn't asking $80,000 for a base Corvette is that Corvette owners would lose their … minds.

The only people who are losing their minds are the owners of other generations who refuse to recognize the C7 for what it is. These people continue to pick the car apart in hopes it will convince them that their model is the best and the C7 is just a poorly designed myth. From the back end to predictions of early production failures the anti C7 crowd just hopes that the C7 is a failure. Get over it friends and join in the celebration of a new generation.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Yep, now that reports are coming in more and more, looks like the C7 is the quantum leap forward we all were hoping it would be. Once reports from the new C7 owners and more detailed comparos from the car magazines hit the stands, all the loudmouth naysayers will finally be regarded as the fools that they are. There will be a stampede of C6/C5 owners moving into C7's( not the super thrifty types, but nobody pays them any attention anyway).
Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

And this is what Edmunds said about the C6 Z06.....""Magnificent…Fabulous…Absolutely ee-STON-ishing!!" after a comprehensive review of the car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-28-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 AM
DevonK
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Apples to oranges - we are talking Autoweek here not Edmunds. And for its time the Z06 may have been all that Edmunds says. But time and progress move on, what was world class five years ago is often "meh" today, as the C7 makes evident.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:30 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonK
Apples to oranges - we are talking Autoweek here not Edmunds. And for its time the Z06 may have been all that Edmunds says. But time and progress move on, what was world class five years ago is often "meh" today, as the C7 makes evident.
Joe just has to get his Z06 some attention whenever he can. Even when it has nothing to do with the topic.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Truly the new King of the Hill by any measure.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:44 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

What a great idea for a review, kudos to Autoweek for getting this done. I like this idea in that this is the way I think most folks will use their Corvette, more so than on the track. As a grand tourer and street cruiser, this looks like it will be tough to beat at any price. Can't wait to hear what some of you guys lucky enough to be among the first, have to say about it.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
live2redline2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

QUOTE ...."First, that this Corvette is a masterpiece. Since the C5, Chevy has been working its way to a Corvette that is more than a great car for the money and is instead just a great car. This C7 is that car. No more apologies about the seats and switchgear, no more “yeah but” -- this is a car that competes with the very best from Germany on every single front, with the possible exception of snootiness -- as good as it is, you won't have to buy special shoes or gloves or scarves to drive one. The only reason GM isn't asking $80,000 for a base Corvette is that Corvette owners would lose their … minds. It's worth every penny of that and a lot more. When you start pricing out other sports cars costing more than $50K, it's hard to make an argument for buying anything else, unless you're just interested in spending money for the sake of feeling fancy. And, with American-made being very much en vogue at the moment, you'll probably get more love in younger, hipper circles driving the new, exotic emblem of everything that's still right with America than you would pushing some Teutonic totem of boomerdom. As much as we adore the new Cayman S -- and some of us are positively sick for it -- it'd be hard to recommend spending more to get one, unless you absolutely had to have something German"
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM
C6Chicago
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
. The only reason GM isn't asking $80,000 for a base Corvette is that Corvette owners would lose their … minds.

The only people who are losing their minds are the owners of other generations who refuse to recognize the C7 for what it is. These people continue to pick the car apart in hopes it will convince them that their model is the best and the C7 is just a poorly designed myth. From the back end to predictions of early production failures the anti C7 crowd just hopes that the C7 is a failure. Get over it friends and join in the celebration of a new generation.
This car is totally un proven in the hands of customers. Lets see the same write up a year from now and it will have some real weight if the car is reliable and trouble free. Otherwise all these write ups are nonsense and mean nothing. Lets see how well they hold up a year from now with 15k on the clocks. I don't care how well it looks and drives brand new I want to know will it hold up in the real world or will it be a service queen? GM has long had the reputation of good intent but when you use the lowest cost suppliers as they do the best intentions often derail later on down the road. Is the intent there Yes it is! Is the execution flawless ...? only time will tell and that's how a Masterpiece is made and judged. Lets also not forget how much GM pays this rag in yearly ad space.
Besides when have you EVER seen the words General Motors and Masterpiece in one sentence ?

Last edited by C6Chicago; 08-28-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Joe just has to get his Z06 some attention whenever he can. Even when it has nothing to do with the topic.
Point was that the reviewers always say the newest version is the best. Blah, blah, blah. Back in 2005, I would find it hard to believe that a car in the future could be better than "Magnificent…Fabulous…Absolutely ee-STON-ishing!!"

Yes, it happens to be a C6 Z06 they are speaking about, not a 2005 C6 convertible like you drive.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DevonK
Is Autoweek "Board certified", or something to that affect? Is there some certification that auto journalist have to achieve before one is declared "better" than another one? Or is it just your opinion that counts?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Chicago
This car is totally un proven in the hands of customers. Lets see the same write up a year from now and it will have some real weight if the car is reliable and trouble free. Otherwise all these write ups are nonsense and mean nothing. Lets see how well they hold up a year from now with 15k on the clocks. I don't care how well it looks and drives brand new I want to know will it hold up in the real world or will it be a service queen? GM has long had the reputation of good intent but when you use the lowest cost suppliers as they do the best intentions often derail later on down the road. Is the intent there Yes it is! Is the execution flawless ...? only time will tell and that's how a Masterpiece is made and judged. Lets also not forget how much GM pays this rag in yearly ad space.
Besides when have you EVER seen the words General Motors and Masterpiece in one sentence ?
With this logic, we would still be driving "Model T's" because no one would have ever bought the "new" car.

But I get your point. Just keep in mind that when reading the horror stories of 'first year issues' that the hundred problem cars get 100x more attention than thousand problem free cars. Machines are only as perfect as the imperfect people that build them.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

This car is totally un proven in the hands of customers. Lets see the same write up a year from now and it will have some real weight if the car is reliable and trouble free. Otherwise all these write ups are nonsense and mean nothing. :
I understand your sentiment in wanting to wait for a year so until we can all fist bump each other, however I do disagree with you comment about all the reviews being "nonsense" up until now. Universally the car has received extremely positive reviews. The trend is certainly pointing to the direction that the C7 will be a world class automobile.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM
larryfdx
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
What a great idea for a review, kudos to Autoweek for getting this done. I like this idea in that this is the way I think most folks will use their Corvette, more so than on the track. As a grand tourer and street cruiser, this looks like it will be tough to beat at any price. Can't wait to hear what some of you guys lucky enough to be among the first, have to say about it.
I think we'll be seeing more test reports like this. I read somewhere on this forum that Car and Driver has a C7 now, possibly also for a long term test or drive. We'll see. I hope this will be a new trend.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Blancpain
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And this is what Edmunds said about the C6 Z06.....""Magnificent…Fabulous…Absolutely ee-STON-ishing!!" after a comprehensive review of the car.
Are you saying it isn't? The 2013 model isn't lauded because it is a 9 YEAR OLD DESIGN. How are people supposed to stay enthusiastic about an old car? If to you, your car is still fabulous...Magnificent etc....then why care about the success or failure of the C7?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by StingrayC7
It's simple. My 86 year old Grandmother refuses to step up to a DVR to record her favorite shows, and chooses to record with her VCR and tapes still! It's crazy. No matter what she says, she thinks VCR tapes are the easiest and best way to record because they can be "rewound and stored".

I bet if my Grandmother was a C6 owner, she would sound just like this JoesC5 character. I bet he also cherishes his VCR. I am going to take a wild guess and say he is over 70 years old.
And my cell phone has a rotary dial.

Get notified of new replies

To Great wrap-up to Autoweek cross-country drive

Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not in my life time, but I believe there was a time in the late fifties' -early sixties' where Cadillac was king and there were masterful cars produced for the time.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 PM
VRMMMM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StingrayC7
It's simple. My 86 year old Grandmother refuses to step up to a DVR to record her favorite shows, and chooses to record with her VCR and tapes still! It's crazy. No matter what she says, she thinks VCR tapes are the easiest and best way to record because they can be "rewound and stored".

I bet if my Grandmother was a C6 owner, she would sound just like this JoesC5 character. I bet he also cherishes his VCR. I am going to take a wild guess and say he is over 70 years old.
I actually think Joe is over 70.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Litumup411
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a lot of respect for those who have experienced more of life. My Father used to say "Where you are, I used to be, and where I am, someday you will be". It sounded much nicer in Greek, but anyway there you have it.

Just like Joe, every time a new iteration of a car I just bought came out I would always think about how much I liked my version of the car better.

Think about the Porsche guys...most everyday people don't think the 911 has changed in the last 14 years and yet their pride and joy loses so much value the first year out of the gate.

I guess what I'm saying is that without the combined purchasing strength of those who have bought these cars before us, there would be no reason to make such a huge investment in the C7.

Last edited by Litumup411; 08-28-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Great wrap-up to Autoweek cross-country drive