C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Corvette Stingray spawn a new Cadillac XLR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Really? Is that why the XLR did not sell? Did the XLR really need to be as powerful as the alpha vette? It's a caddy...its competitors were the SL500 and BMW..both of which were also heavy convertibles. Sorry, but I don't see that as being the issue.

"Way underpowered?" For what...the track? The car was plenty fast for its segment and competitors. Correct me if I am wrong...but the car was never intended to be a track rat. Fast highway cruiser, but not a track monster. If that is what you were expecting, you were looking for the wrong car.

Alpha Chevrolet Corvette? Like you said it's a Caddy, not a Chevy... Why would it matter if it was just as fast or just a tick slower? Way underpowered for a car that is based off a Vette. It's 1 1/2 seconds 0-60 slower for some $80K+

A interior that doesn't even come close to its's competitors so I wouldn't even say it was in the same arena.

What are your thoughts since you don't think it was the powertrain?

As I stated, I would have bought one except it was underpowered but then again I'm a little bit of a power junkie.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2011, as part of the tax relief package request from the state of KY, GM presented a future plan for the BG plant. That plan included capital investments, more employees and A SECOND PRODUCT LINE AT BG. I used to have a copy of GM's presentation as it was posted for web access by the government committee in KY that was considering GM's tax relief request. GM got the tax relief, did the capital investment, has hired more employees but the second product line has disappeared from public dialog.

Last edited by I Bin Therbefor; 08-26-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I think the XLR was a good idea. I think they just didn't make the car match the competition. Particularly with interior and the Northstar engines that were overly complicated and problematic. MB sells a lot of those SL and SLK type vehicles. The XLR could've/should've been the "upscaled" Corvette that so many people even on this forum seem to want. Luxurious interiors, hardtop convertibles, comfortable ride and sooooo many other bells and whistles that that are NOT on the Corvette because of cost and WEIGHT.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

So when they make an upscale Corvette, called a Cadillac XLR, they use the Cadillac engine, but when they make an upscale Cadillac (V-series) they use the Corvette engine. Well there it is. All in the family I guess.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the good part is you get serviced at a cadillac dealer vs chevy sitting around with a bunch
of dually's
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

gm tried this with the cad allante ,ha GM cut the damned price of the cad and you will sell each and everyone of them,allantes were $60k/should have been $40k,,xlr should have been $50k

Quick Reply: Will the Corvette Stingray spawn a new Cadillac XLR?