Sponsored by:

C7 Corvette, I'm too tall for it :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Concept Cars
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C7 Corvette, I'm too tall for it :(

I just got back from Carlisle and confirmed, with much regret, that I'm too tall to fit comfortably in the C7. I'm 6-ft, 5-in tall and my head grazes the roof, my line of sight is the back of the sun visor. I tried every seat position/configuration, but absolutely no luck.
Evidently, the car was designed for the 95th percentile and I fall out of that range.
Interestingly, the floor pan is completely flat. I imagine if GM produced a "tall guy" option, that perhaps would omit the fore-aft, up-down seat adjustments and simply bolted their seat in a fixed - fully back and fully down position, (omitting the adjustment motors), that enough room could be gained so I could fit. I wish there was an option for that. Maybe the aftermarket will come through. Simply removing the new seats and installing racing seats is an option, but I wouldn't want to loose the air bags or other safety features the seats incorporate.
I admit, in my younger days, I would crouch to fit my cars, but I'm older, less flexible, rounder and not as willing to crouch. I wish GM considered my demographic when building this beautiful car.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

From your Avatar you look to have a C6 with a painted top. Did you sit in a C7 with a transparent top? I believe that will give you an inch or so more room above your head.

Edit: Also have you tried positioning the seat bottom forward first than tilting the seat back all the way back. Then move the entire seat as far rearward as possible. Then adjust steering column as necessary. A leg room issue may result, but it depend on your build.

I hope you can find a satisfactory solution.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 08-25-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Interesting considering pro athletes buy these cars. I figured they'd make it big enough for those guys.

Hopefully you can fit in one.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM
asphaltrecycler
Instructor

So you have a C6 and fit in it without major issues but the 7 seems smaller? This is not good news as I am the same height, have driven 4's, 5's and 6's and have been anxiously awaiting the "fit test" before ordering a 7!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 609 Likes on 191 Posts

Rag Top C7?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that Concept Cars,

I'm 6'4" but tall waisted, so I didn't even fit in the C6 coupe at all. The Convertible on the other hand was roomy enough.

Most convertibles have a rib right where my head would touch the top, but the corvette (6th Gen) had ribs fore and aft of where my hair touched... so it was fine. I never felt like I had to slouch or adjust myself to fit the car at all. Hopefully, the C7 vert is similarly arranged. The vert may be an option for you if you don't mind the change in appearance. It looks to be a bit of a wait before any of us can try one of those on, though.

Also, I know what you mean about shoehorning yourself into smaller than optimum cars... I had a '91 Miata for a year... until I started getting neck and back pain from constantly tilting my head and leaning to the right. It hurt to let that one go.

Curious, where you said your head grazed the roof, was that at the edge where the top met the body of the car or was it just hitting the removable top? My head seemed to want to hit that hard corner where the top met the car again.

TomZ
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by asphaltrecycler
So you have a C6 and fit in it without major issues but the 7 seems smaller? This is not good news as I am the same height, have driven 4's, 5's and 6's and have been anxiously awaiting the "fit test" before ordering a 7!
Same here.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

I have a buddy that's as tall as you and he said the same thing. He fits just fine in his ZR1, so they must be a little smaller.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Robert.S
Intermediate

They found a way to get Shaq inside that Buick i'm sure theres a way to get you in the C7.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 798 Posts

I understand your problem.....I tried on 7 of the 2014's that were there at Carlisle. Top on, top off. Tried all the variations of seat adjustment. Bottom line for me (6'4") is that the seat back doesn't recline enough. I have to sit too "upright" for comfort. The clear top allowed me enough headroom....but, unlike the 2008 I have, the seat in the C7 is electronically limited in its ability to recline. Two of the GM engineers that were there talking to folks about the cars admitted to me that this is a problem for them that they are working on and hope to resolve. Interesting that the fellow right behind me in the "sit in the car" line, was 6'8". He claimed that the C7 fit him better (note, the top was off the coupe). But he was poured into the thing and he was young (his back didn't need the recline position which I do to be comfortable on my sore old back). All he was concerned about was knee cap to dash clearance...to get that, you give up some recline capacity. But, unlike the C6, the seat is electronically limited and not just restricted by the bulkhead behind the seat....it makes you feel hunched forward toward the steering wheel. GM....PLEASE FIX THIS! Absent some improvement here, I cant buy a C7 which otherwise seems great! Tks.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 AM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Concept Cars
I just got back from Carlisle and confirmed, with much regret, that I'm too tall to fit comfortably in the C7. I'm 6-ft, 5-in tall and my head grazes the roof, my line of sight is the back of the sun visor. I tried every seat position/configuration, but absolutely no luck.
Evidently, the car was designed for the 95th percentile and I fall out of that range.
Interestingly, the floor pan is completely flat. I imagine if GM produced a "tall guy" option, that perhaps would omit the fore-aft, up-down seat adjustments and simply bolted their seat in a fixed - fully back and fully down position, (omitting the adjustment motors), that enough room could be gained so I could fit. I wish there was an option for that. Maybe the aftermarket will come through. Simply removing the new seats and installing racing seats is an option, but I wouldn't want to loose the air bags or other safety features the seats incorporate.
I admit, in my younger days, I would crouch to fit my cars, but I'm older, less flexible, rounder and not as willing to crouch. I wish GM considered my demographic when building this beautiful car.
You are absolutely correct. I was at a track event with a senior manager from GM and he volunteered, without being asked, that the C7 would not work for anyone over 6'3" or 6'4". Yes it was designed for the 95th percentile. Remember the car is is 1/2" shorter than the C6 (49.1" vs 48.6"). I am not even sure the see through roof would work.....but give it a try. Never get Shaq in that vette!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

At 6'2" and 185 I should fit OK but hopefully this issue is addressed early for those somewhat taller. "upfitters" are common in many segments of the automotive industry where they take a model direct from the factory and customize it for a special purpose. Callaway and others do some great performance stuff but with the C7 it sounds like there might be a pretty good niche for a company to do some comfort upgrades for the bigger folks.

In the meantime maybe one of the larger dealerships has Procrustes working back in the body shop who can help you with fit:

http://www.mythweb.com/encyc/gallery/procrustes_c.html
Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,386 Likes on 2,073 Posts

Maybe the aftermarket will make a "Gurney Bubble" roof.

An aftermarket seat may do the trick.

Maybe a C6 Seat will fit.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

How do people not fit in the c7, yet fit in the c6? Dimensionally, the c7 has more seat to roof height by just over an inch. What am I missing?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
How do people not fit in the c7, yet fit in the c6? Dimensionally, the c7 has more seat to roof height by just over an inch. What am I missing?
I think those relatively thin C6 seats allowed more ability to recline.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM
FEAR
Pro

I'm between 6'4 and 6'5 and in my c6 thentrivk was moe seat fwd and inch and then recline a but more and I removed the drivers sun visor to be able ton see. I'll probably have the dealer remove it before I even pick up the car this time
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The issue is also the line of sight which won't be fixed by more headroom. The seat needs to be lower to the floor for the taller folks. My buddy is 6'4" and this is not good news for him. What is your inseam?

Last edited by craig04c5; 08-25-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Corvette, I'm too tall for it :(

Old 08-25-2013, 12:12 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by craig04c5
The issue is also the line of sight which won't be fixed by more headroom. The seat needs to be lower to the floor for the taller folks. My buddy is 6'4" and this is not good news for him. What is your inseam?
Actually Craig, I am 6'5" and so is my older son. My pants inseam is 36" and my sons is 34". I fit in the C6 Z06 with no problem and my son does not fit at all. His torso is longer than mine.
Your height is not always the determining factor in fitting in the C7 or C6. A person that is 6'5" with long legs will fit better than a person that is 6'5" or 6'4" and has shorter legs with a longer torso.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW I had no issues and I'm 6'4". Here's my thread with pictures.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-to-spare.html
Old 08-25-2013, 12:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

The C7 will be worth having four inches of your body height removed by your surgeon, so that you will ride in comfort. Aren't you willing to lose 4" in height so you can gain .2 seconds from 0-60, over a C6?

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette, I'm too tall for it :(