Sponsored by:

New Magazine test of C7 vs 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
Do you honestly believe that the majority of people who still buy Porsche over Corvette (now that the C7 is comparable to Porsche in the softer categories like feel, quality, etc) are not doing it primarily for status?
Ummmm yes, the C7 is not even out, how do you know the feel, quality, ect are the same? Most Corvette owners can not afford a 911, I would bet most 911 owners could afford a lot more "Status" type cars like Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, and such. I know I can and I bought the 911. Why?? It drove much better (Especially the Steering, you could feel the road), the quality was not on the same planet, and I think it looks much nicer than a C6.

C7 could change some of this, I still think it will not come close to the Quality, I do not see how it is possible for the pricepoint it is at. We will see.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
This is very true. If a C7 Z51 is faster than a Lamborghini Galardo would you still take the C7 if you had a choice? I don't think so. People buy cars for different reason and exclusivity is one of them. When you start seeing a C7 on every street corner who will really care ?
Perfectly said.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 PM
ARMISTICE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Least a Corvette doesn't look like a stretched out VW Beetle!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
Let me help you out...they like them because they are fun to drive.
No, no, snob appeal. The seats are uncomfortable, the outside is so dated it's a joke, the car is waaaay over priced, the front end flaps up and down (lousy aero) and most who drive them are so full of themselves it's pathetic.
I owned 1 Porsche and couldn't unload it fast enough.

If Notch said he owned a Porsche, I would not be surprised.

BB
Old 08-24-2013, 08:33 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Notch
Let me help you out...they like them because they are fun to drive.
My Z was fun too but my P is just, overall, much more fun to drive. And no, it is not nearly as fast as my Z was.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 427bob
No, no, snob appeal. The seats are uncomfortable, the outside is so dated it's a joke, the car is waaaay over priced, the front end flaps up and down (lousy aero) and most who drive them are so full of themselves it's pathetic.
I owned 1 Porsche and couldn't unload it fast enough.
Cue carnut to chime in now and say that you are only posting against the Porsche because you can't afford it lol, because, as another delusional poster said, Corvette drivers aspire to own Porsches. And Guibo will say "can you show me a study that says snob appeal is what makes people want to buy Porsches?"

These guys are entertaining!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
My Z was fun too but my P is just, overall, much more fun to drive. And no, it is not nearly as fast as my Z was.
what does this have to do with the C7 vs the 911?
Old 08-25-2013, 01:34 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

You know, all this talk about which is better is kind of funny. I really doubt that folks at GM were thinking to themselves, "Let's design a Corvette that will put Porsche out of business." They know darn well that the brand loyal will always be brand loyal. Do they want those folks that were thinking of getting a Porsche? You bet they do, but they also know they won't get all of them either.

So enough Porsche bashing. It's an iconic car for a reason. So is the Corvette. Thye're both great cars, and they both feed specific tastes and desires. So what if the Corvette does blast the 911 at Laguna Seca? That's only part of the equation. If I had all the money in the world, I would still pick a Corvette over a Porsche, only because I like it better. Porsche simply doesn't appeal to me, regardless of how great it is. I am sure there are many folks that feel vice versa. So what?

And for those that do hold a high priority on the fastest lap times, well, those folks rarely keep their cars in stock form anyways, simply because it can always be faster, and must be. Nothing wrong with that either. Either of these cars can be as fast as your pockets are deep if that's your desire. At that point it really ceases to matter who's moniker is on the car. IMHO.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 AM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Cue carnut to chime in now and say that you are only posting against the Porsche because you can't afford it lol, because, as another delusional poster said, Corvette drivers aspire to own Porsches. And Guibo will say "can you show me a study that says snob appeal is what makes people want to buy Porsches?"

These guys are entertaining!

You have learned the ways of the forum.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
Ummmm yes, the C7 is not even out, how do you know the feel, quality, ect are the same? Most Corvette owners can not afford a 911, I would bet most 911 owners could afford a lot more "Status" type cars like Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, and such. I know I can and I bought the 911. Why?? It drove much better (Especially the Steering, you could feel the road), the quality was not on the same planet, and I think it looks much nicer than a C6.

C7 could change some of this, I still think it will not come close to the Quality, I do not see how it is possible for the pricepoint it is at. We will see.
Do you really think one has to pay Porsche prices for quality?

This narrow minded statement is so typical of the Porsche owners that I know. No matter how good the C7 is, it will NEVER be comparable to their prized Porsche....regardless of any measurable or non-measurable attributes.

Maybe the guy who came up with the phrase "size doesn't matter" owned a Porsche.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:36 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
If only you could afford a 911 maybe you would understand, save your pennies young child, save your pennies.
LOL, have done the Porsche thing twice. Bad experience. Save your nonsense for someone else. Porsche sucks, major ripoff deal.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
...build quality that is certainly a match, and finally serious drop dead good looks that Porsche in no way can match. ...
How do you know the build quality is certainly a match?
Looks are subjective. For every one person here who says the 911 is the ugliest car ever, I'm sure you can find an equal amount (if not more) who have said the C7's rear end is a deal breaker.

lol so you see zero difference in costs of buying and using a brand new $80k porsche vs. a 5 year old $80k Porsche? There's something called maintenance costs, warranty, etc. This is even more so with the Ferrari. So that knocks off your a) and b)
I didn't say the used Porsche was $80k; you can get a 5-year old used Porsche for much less than that and still have way more than enough left over for anything that might go wrong. So, no. That does not knock off a).
For b), you've just admitted something that is more important to Porsche buyers than the prestige of a Ferrari badge: Maintenance and warranty. Thanks for playing!

Re: boxter vs ZR1, the majority of the population (people who know nothing about cars) see the Boxter as a Porsche, and the ZR1 as a Corvette, and would therefore view the Boxter driver as having greater status. I consider myself a car guy and even I have a hard time telling the difference between a Cayman and a 911 on the road, you can forget any chance of the common man knowing the difference. Same with wide-body vs regular Corvette, ZR1 versus non-ZR1 - these cars have differences which are just too subtle for most non-car people to tell. So in a nutshell, yes the majority of the population views a Cayman as having more status than a ZR1.
So you're saying that people who buy a Boxster do so to try to fool "the majority of the population" that they're actually driving a 911? What do you base this on?

I'd get very bored of McDonald's if that's all I ate when I went out to eat! Too bad this example of yours doesn't apply cars, because we all have the ability to mix up our diet for variety but few people have the luxury of being able to afford a large # of cars to switch up from time to time.
So you switch out McDonald's only for other budget fast-food joints (BK, Taco Bell, DQ, etc). Am I hearing that right?
How do you know those few people actually don't have the luxury of being able to afford a large # of cars to switch up from time to time? Look at it from this perspective: According to this report, the average income of Corvette buyers is $87k:
http://hedgescompany.com/blog/2012/0...rvette-owners/
What is the median transaction price of all Corvettes? Maybe $60k, accounting for rebates, incentives countered by options and higher-end Corvettes? That's 68% of the median Corvette owner's income.
Meanwhile, this report shows the median income of a 911 owner is $390k:
http://www.forbes.com/2008/11/21/car..._1120cars.html
If you consider that the average transaction price of a 911 might be $130k (991 S with many of the most popular options), that comes out to only 33% of the median income of a 911 owner. Who do you think is making the greater sacrifice, as a percentage of his income, when buying the car: The Corvette buyer or the 911 buyer? Who do you think has more disposable income to throw around on multiple vehicles? You could take the most expensive 911 in recent times, the GT2 RS at $245k, and it would still only be 62% of what the median 911 buyer makes in a year.
The point here is that value is relative. A kid making $5 week on an allowance has a very different perception of the value of a McDonald's Value Meal, compared to a guy making $7.5k in the same week.
Also note what that article says is a major motivating factor for 911 buyers:
"Much as an RX400 owner might also feel the purchase of the car is a reward for his or her own success, that’s more or less the sole motivation among those who buy a Porsche 911. The most decidedly male (87%) buyers are successful (median income $390,000), know what they want, work hard to get it and enjoy rewarding themselves when they reach a milestone."
Old 08-25-2013, 04:16 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, that there are "few people" who can afford to switch out cars is not itself terribly relevant. What is relevant is whether there are enough people out there like that who are willing to shell out for a Porsche. And it appears there are. The average Corvette buyer isn't exactly hurting, either, making quite a lot more than the national median salary. Many Corvette owners have multiple cars too. Whether you want to accept it or not, a Corvette is a luxury.

I've asked this before and I didn't see you answering it: If a Corvette is priced "right," does it necessarily follow that other cars (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc) are overpriced? Or is it possible that the Corvette is an extraordinarily good value, while other cars are priced about where they should be (what the market is willing to bear)?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
BTW, that there are "few people" who can afford to switch out cars is not itself terribly relevant. What is relevant is whether there are enough people out there like that who are willing to shell out for a Porsche. And it appears there are. The average Corvette buyer isn't exactly hurting, either, making quite a lot more than the national median salary. Many Corvette owners have multiple cars too. Whether you want to accept it or not, a Corvette is a luxury.

I've asked this before and I didn't see you answering it: If a Corvette is priced "right," does it necessarily follow that other cars (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc) are overpriced? Or is it possible that the Corvette is an extraordinarily good value, while other cars are priced about where they should be (what the market is willing to bear)?
There are just as many people buying Corvettes that can't afford them as there are people buying Porsches that can't afford them. I would hazard a guess that most Porsches are leased however since the price of entry would deter the financially literate from purchasing a depreciating asset.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Yeah right Pal.

A $60,000 Boxster with 206 tq and 265 HP is priced right. OK, sure they are, maybe in your import loving fantasy land. How many of these wimp mobiles would be on the road without the 24 month/5K mile leases that Porsche offers. I have a ton of seat time in these go carts and can tell you that they are an absolute, ridiculous joke at these prices.

Over 70% of new Porsches are leased.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:15 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
Yeah right Pal.

A $60,000 Boxster with 206 tq and 265 HP is priced right. OK, sure they are, maybe in your import loving fantasy land. How many of these wimp mobiles would be on the road without the 24 month/5K mile leases that Porsche offers. I have a ton of seat time in these go carts and can tell you that they are an absolute, ridiculous joke at these prices.

Over 70% of new Porsches are leased.
I think we get it DrMustang. You don't like Porsches and will go to great lengths to tell us.
But what do you like about Mustangs on a Corvette forum ?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:34 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I think we get it DrMustang. You don't like Porsches and will go to great lengths to tell us.
But what do you like about Mustangs on a Corvette forum ?
No Dude, what we "get" here is how threatened the Porsche/import lovers are by the C7.

Get notified of new replies

To New Magazine test of C7 vs 911

Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

So you're saying that people who buy a Boxster do so to try to fool "the majority of the population" that they're actually driving a 911? What do you base this on?

I think people who buy Cayman S' do so because they like the look of Porsches. They all have a similar look. They probably could afford a base 911 (maybe more) but they decided they wanted a superior drivers car for less money than the base 911. Of course that is likely my bias. I am not a fan of Porsches, but I like the Cayman more than the 911.

My father-in-law bought his Boxster probably for these reasons (I don't dare ask, it would be a 6 hour spiel):
He is an engineer.
He has a fetish for things German.
He has wanted a Porsche for probably his whole adult life.
Although he could have paid cash for a 911 Turbo S, he is very tight so a Boxster it was. All out acceleration and speed is not his thing. He likes precision.

Is he a typical Boxster buyer? Well I would not describe him as a typical anything.

Last edited by Racer X; 08-25-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Racer X
I think people who buy Cayman S' do so because they like the look of Porsches. They all have a similar look. They probably could afford a base 911 (maybe more) but they decided they wanted a superior drivers car for less money than the base 911. Of course that is likely my bias. I don't like Porsches, but I like the Cayman more than the 911.

My father-in-law bought his Boxster probably for these reasons (I don't dare ask, it would be a 6 hour spiel):
He is an engineer.
He has a fetish for things German.
He has wanted a Porsche for probably his whole adult life.
Although he could have paid cash for a 911 Turbo S, he is very tight so a Boxster it was. All out acceleration and speed is not his thing. He likes precision.

Is he a typical Boxster buyer? Well I would not describe him as a typical anything.
The '14 Cayman is actually a decent looking sports car. Absolutely unjustifieable price tag but they can roll these things with their lease incentives which are a defacto, hidden, price reduction.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Do you really think one has to pay Porsche prices for quality?

This narrow minded statement is so typical of the Porsche owners that I know. No matter how good the C7 is, it will NEVER be comparable to their prized Porsche....regardless of any measurable or non-measurable attributes.

Maybe the guy who came up with the phrase "size doesn't matter" owned a Porsche.
Is that what I said, Audi is Porsche Quality IMO and a lot less expensive. Take a look at the S6 interior, it is unreal. Some of you do not know how to interpret a basic sentance, to bad I can not type in Crayon, maybe that would help.

Are you trying to say the C6 isn't one of, if not the worst $60-80K interior made??? Find me a lower quality interior on a car that is this expensive? It has a Cavalier Steering wheel with a Corvette emblem on it, you can not be serious. Look at the fake Carbon or what ever it is supposed to mimic, I have seen better in $15K Kia's.

It is obvious Corvette owners do not really care about this, they care about Performance, so on the flip side you also will not find a car the has the over-all Performance of a C6 for the price either. The fact some make that choice is fine, that is what they prefer.

Quick Reply: New Magazine test of C7 vs 911