Tom Hill: No customer cars til LATE Sept

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Tom Hill: No customer cars til LATE Sept

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ...

Spoke to Tom Hill at Carlisle today. When I last saw him at NCRS National in July, he said they'd start building customer cars in August. I asked him if that was still the case and he said absolutely not. Don't expect any customer cars til late September at best. While he would not name any specifics he said they had "about 500 mosquito bites to work out" before the customer cars will start. None of them major, but he said "we know how you guys are and we've got to get it perfect".

I thanked him and told him as painful as it is to wait, and no matter how much guys like me bother them, to please get it right before we get 'em!

They are having a number of seminars tomorrow and Saturday and we'll see what else we learn then.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverDevil

Spoke to Tom Hill at Carlisle today. When I last saw him at NCRS National in July, he said they'd start building customer cars in August. I asked him if that was still the case and he said absolutely not. Don't expect any customer cars til late September at best. While he would not name any specifics he said they had "about 500 mosquito bites to work out" before the customer cars will start. None of them major, but he said "we know how you guys are and we've got to get it perfect".

I thanked him and told him as painful as it is to wait, and no matter how much guys like me bother them, to please get it right before we get 'em!

They are having a number of seminars tomorrow and Saturday and we'll see what else we learn then.
As was posted earlier today, a few customers cars have been built. Hendricks car came off first of course. They are building at a rate of about 20 per day. Said we could see first customer cars delivered in about 3 weeks, if they didn't incur any problems with the QC hold.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

And another attendee of Carlisle today reported earlier:

"Sat in Tom Hill's car today . . . . . . Big news!!! He said the line is rolling!!! Mr Hendricks car rolled off already. They are taking there time. Doing about 20 cars right now. They will build speed as they go. He said if all QC holds work out that some cars may ship in 3 weeks or so. Key word is "may". They are taking there time on the ramp up. Kudos to them."

Old 08-22-2013, 07:01 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

So, still 3rd quarter, as they've said all along?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Conflicting news for sure. Will see tomorrow what others have to say. Seemed like it was just Tom Hill with the one C7. Show really starts tomorrow and that's when Tadge and others will be there. The plot thickens ...
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Aiready on the haulers! Time to apply for the loan and get all the ducks in order.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Conflicting Tom Hill stories. See GM needs to make these announcements so one mans word doesn't get bent out of context and truth.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

No big plot. No conspiracy theory. I stand by my conversation with him and overheard to OP conversation as well. He said they "had" about 500 mosquito bites to work out. Minor stuff they wanted perfect. Cars are rolling slowly and none will be released until they are confident they are perfect! All good
Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Conflicting Tom Hill stories. See GM needs to make these announcements so one mans word doesn't get bent out of context and truth.
They already made announcements...
Actual GM quote...people just get bent out of shape no matter what.
The 2014 Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale in the third quarter of 2013 for a suggested starting retail price of $51,995, excluding tax, title, and license fees.
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...rformance.html
Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Sounds like 1st and 2nd consensus cars could all arrive at once at the 900 Corvette dealers on the last week of September / first week of October. Sound be an exciting time - maybe a party is in order !!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

What is it with GM.. They picked Jan13, 2013 to first show the car....so now they can not let people know when the first build date is scheduled. Make excuses for them if you wish, it is a bad business practice.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,246 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
What is it with GM.. They picked Jan13, 2013 to first show the car....so now they can not let people know when the first build date is scheduled. Make excuses for them if you wish, it is a bad business practice.
I would guess there's only a handful of people on this forum that understand the complexity of getting an assembly line running with a completely new generation. The task has to be daunting.....
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

There are 16 ten minute talks scheduled in the Engineers Tent over Friday and Saturday, each by a different engineer. I will try to ask each one of them, which should result in at least 17 different answers. Either that or we need someone to hide in the bushes outside Rick Hendrick's place and tell us when #1 rolls in ...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

There are 16 ten minute talks scheduled in the Engineers Tent over Friday and Saturday, each by a different engineer. I will try to ask each one of them, which should result in at least 17 different answers. Either that or we need someone to hide in the bushes outside Rick Hendrick's place and tell us when #1 rolls in ...
Get one of the big guys like Hill on video responding to that question.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 684 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default The loads of BS that we are forced to endure or ignore...

Originally Posted by Bill17601
I agree with you 110%. I am in the first consensus with MacMulkin, the fact that GM chooses to not communicate, even with their largest dealers, is an abomination. Even within this thread we have two different stories. About 1 month ago, when I realized all the supposed TPW's and "build codes" were an utter joke, I stopped watching and stressing on it. We were lead to believe all along that the first orders would be delivered in late summer, that became "LATE third quarter" now it's October at best.

I too, want the car right. The problem is NOT the delay, the problem is the EPIC FAIL of communication between GM, their customers that have put down deposits, and even their biggest and best dealerships are left in the dark. In fact, if you have been following this BS saga, there are screenshots of "GM Chat Lines" giving out total fairy tales to customers who foolishly believe what they are told. It is no wonder GM had to file for bankruptcy... I love the new car, and am excited to get it, but I hate being associated with this level of incompetence, I feel soiled by it...

PS... I can see people responding now, "dude, chill out, the third quarter isn't over. This isn't life or death... blah blah blah... You are the same people who elected Obama and justify these types of bad business practices... period.

Last edited by AVETTE; 08-22-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I would guess there's only a handful of people on this forum that understand the complexity of getting an assembly line running with a completely new generation. The task has to be daunting.....

^ I think you just insert Tab A's into Slot B's, weld some stuff together, bolt the conveyor thing-a-majig to the part with the chains, have a couple of engineers use their slide rules to calculate the lunch order, put a couple Quality Is Everyone's Job signs up, lubricate anything that makes noise and plug it all into some 220, 221 electric, whatever it takes - DONE

Last edited by michaelinmech; 08-22-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Agreed

Get notified of new replies

To Tom Hill: No customer cars til LATE Sept

Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by AVETTE
I agree with you 110%. I am in the first consensus with MacMulkin, the fact that GM chooses to not communicate, even with their largest dealers, is an abomination. Even within this thread we have two different stories. About 1 month ago, when I realized all the supposed TPW's and "build codes" were an utter joke, I stopped watching and stressing on it. We were lead to believe all along that the first orders would be delivered in late summer, that became "LATE third quarter" now it's October at best.

I too, want the car right. The problem is NOT the delay, the problem is the EPIC FAIL of communication between GM, their customers that have put down deposits, and even their biggest and best dealerships are left in the dark. In fact, if you have been following this BS saga, there are screenshots of "GM Chat Lines" giving out total fairy tales to customers who foolishly believe what they are told. It is no wonder GM had to file for bankruptcy... I love the new car, and am excited to get it, but I hate being associated with this level of incompetence, I feel soiled by it...

PS... I can see people responding now, "dude, chill out, the third quarter isn't over. This isn't life or death... blah blah blah... You are the same people who elected Obama and justify these types of bad business practices... period.
Yeah...cause GM had such great business practices leading up to bankruptcy...before Obama.

BTW, you are welcome to be upset all you want but you could be a Viper customer reading the MT Best Drivers Car placing the Viper last behind the Ford Focus.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,246 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by AVETTE
The problem is NOT the delay, the problem is the EPIC FAIL of communication between GM, their customers .
What would anyone really expect them to do, give daily updates. What a disaster that would be for them.

Looks like we'll have the line running tomorrow....

Oops, a problem came up, we're shooting for Wednesday......

Gee, three more unexpected problems arose today, maybe Monday......

A few more unexpected issues arose, maybe by Thursday....

It would be a three ring circus, public relations disaster..

Last edited by R&L's C6; 08-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ I think you just insert Tab A's into Slot B's, weld some stuff together, bolt the conveyor thing-a-majig to the part with the chains, have a couple of engineers use their slide rules to figure out the lunch order, put a couple Quality Is Everyone's Job signs up, lubricate anything that makes noise and plug it all into some 220, 221 electric, whatever it takes - DONE

LMAO!!!! The sad part is, some of the nimrods here think that must be how it works.

For those who STILL don't get it, how many more times does GM have to say, "The car will be available in the THIRD QUARTER"? Third quarter ends Sept 30. For the calendar challenged, that will be the end of NEXT MONTH! 'Nuff said. Sheesh!

Quick Reply: Tom Hill: No customer cars til LATE Sept