C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does C7 have two part no's for left & right rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 02:52 PM
acannell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does C7 have two part no's for left & right rotors?

in other words is that fixed from the C6?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

No.

Based only on the pics that have been posted, on the Z51's, the rotor slots curve backward on the driver's side and forward on the passenger's side.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Doesn't need to be fixed. The C6 Rotors work fine on the track with their single part number. The so called problem has generated a lot of words since the 05 model year but so far no performance issues.

Bill
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 PM
stubone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rotors warped in no time on my c6 and I don't drive hard at all. Have no idea how it would have happened.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by stubone
My rotors warped in no time on my c6 and I don't drive hard at all. Have no idea how it would have happened.
Steel brake rotors on any car can warp easily after heating them up by breaking then driving through water cooling them too quickly...just a thought?

eta: Also, perhaps you actually had excess pad material build up on a rotor rather than actual warpage? (just another thought)

Last edited by kozmic; 08-22-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

A common cause of brake pulsation on all cars occurs after a dealer or shop has removed the wheels. If they are not retightened in a proper sequence or are overtorqued (with a powerful impact gun) they will seem ok at first. But after a few thousand miles you may start to feel pulsation in the pedal. The over torquing causes slight distortion of the rotors and they start to wear unevenly. It really is worth it to re torque wheels by hand any time one has been removed.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:42 AM
acannell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so spinning backwards doesnt affect how the "axial" venting style works? just to be clear, i dont mean though the cross drilled holes on the C6, i mean the standard venting style used on pretty much every car. even my crappy ol sedan has two different part numbers for left and right
Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by acannell
so spinning backwards doesnt affect how the "axial" venting style works? just to be clear, i dont mean though the cross drilled holes on the C6, i mean the standard venting style used on pretty much every car. even my crappy ol sedan has two different part numbers for left and right
You are referring to the vanes that are cast radially out from the hub. They are intended to work as a heat extractor and generally should point away from the front of the car. They use a pressure differential from the air travelling over the top of the vane to draw heat out during the rotation of the wheel. The Corvette C6, using one part for both sides has two vanes cast facing rearward and two vanes cast facing forward as a result of the installation on the other side of the car. These forward facing vanes will tend to scoop air as opposed to extract air from the pressure differential. There is some arguement that this less efficient and will result in warm air being trapped at the opening by oncoming air slamming in to the opening as opposed to being drafted past it in rotation.

The upside with Corvette brake cooling however is that there are also supplemental ducts that force low, cool air on to the surface of all of the rotors anytime the vehicle is in motion. Difficult to determine how much added heat the two reversed sets of vanes contribute but a lot of testing in to braking and brake fade are conducted during the design and development process.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:19 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I don't know if the direction of the curved vanes has any affect on air movement over the vanes, either from the hub outward or from the periphery inward towards the hub.

It just seems to me that a curved vane has more surface area to release the heat into the airstream(which ever direction it is flowing) then a straight vane.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-23-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Aerodynamics are complicated. Supercomputer-complicated when it comes to what's going on in and around the wheel of a sports car on a race track. This is not like a waterwheel on a stationary axle under a smooth spout of water or a paddlewheel on a riverboat.

Get notified of new replies

To does C7 have two part no's for left & right rotors?

Quick Reply: does C7 have two part no's for left & right rotors?