C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't let them add Stop/Start to future Corvettes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

The interesting factoid is, most engine wear occurs on start up. Imagine adding 1,000,000 start ups in 5 yrs...lol. They better have a stop/start electric oil pump during brief stops thats all i know...
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
The interesting factoid is, most engine wear occurs on start up. Imagine adding 1,000,000 start ups in 5 yrs...lol. They better have a stop/start electric oil pump during brief stops thats all i know...
That was my major concern about it too. However, the Prius doesn't seem to have that issue, though it's a very small engine.

The only way I'd be OK with a start/stop setup is if there was a parallel hybrid setup too. So if you step on the gas, you still start moving even if the engine hasn't started yet.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have thought about this and I actually can see it under certain circumstances.

The first is that it can't cost a lot -- or anything at all. That is, it still uses the same starter, battery, and electronics but is a software thing.

The second is that you can turn it off if you don't want it.

I can see using it when stuck in stop and go traffic and you're just wasting money on gas sitting there creeping along , stopping, and creeping along again. Might as well save some fuel as you're just wasting time anyway.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sin City
I have thought about this and I actually can see it under certain circumstances.

The first is that it can't cost a lot -- or anything at all. That is, it still uses the same starter, battery, and electronics but is a software thing.

The second is that you can turn it off if you don't want it.

I can see using it when stuck in stop and go traffic and you're just wasting money on gas sitting there creeping along , stopping, and creeping along again. Might as well save some fuel as you're just wasting time anyway.
It requires a beefier starter, actually.

But I agree. There's been times I was sitting in traffic at literally the same spot for over a minute at a time before inching forward. I've even been stuck on the freeway not moving for well over 10 minutes.

One time they stopped the freeway at just past 2am for 30 minutes. After 5 minutes I just shut off my car. I got a text message from my dad asking me to look up what was with traffic and I asked why. He said he was stuck the freeway I was stuck on and thought I was at home. LOL!!! He was pretty much 200 ft behind me.

Oh, and he had shut off his engine too.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Beefier starter ain't a bad thing anyway.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:09 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I definitely agree. It's probably 1Lbs more weight and 10x more reliable.

I used to replace starters all the time on older cars. The starters were always located in the worst places. LOL I always thought, "Damn... if this starter would have lasted just a few more years, I wouldn't be under here."
Old 08-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Raisin Man
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

And MB cars (probably BMW cars too) need to worry about air conditioning in determining when to stop vs. start. This is just one related issue, who knows what other complications are out there.

Don't even think about the cost of the proprietary MB electronic module required to determine that when the interior of the car is too hot to or cold to "stop" the motor - or when such module malfunctions. The possible problems, related diagnosis and the costs related thereto will be considerable. More electronics. Beefier electronics. Corvette is dealing with this issue generally too, but I'm not paying a premium for an AMG car (all of then have start-stop now, boys) with this technology so I can spend another few grand to have an a competent aftermarket player neuter the system.

Let the Green Lemmings pay for these features if that's important to their self-concept. I'd like the flexibility to decline, with the understanding I'll risk being eliminated from AlGore's Holiday card list...
Old 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
That's because most start ups (before the adoption of stop/start) occur from a totally cold engine, before oil has circulated through the system and when piston rings have not expanded with heat. This is basically a non-issue for stop-start.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 PM
frankz06_cf
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven a friend's Jaguar XF with this Stop/Start technology. I found it to be very annoying. If you stop at a stop sign for a moment too long the engine shuts off, then it starts again and it's very noticeable.

Hopefully the Chevy Volt sells better in the future to bring the overall CAFE rating for Chevy and GM down. What we really need is politicians that don't pander to the enviro-whackos. Let people decide what they want to buy.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:43 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by frankz06_cf
I've driven a friend's Jaguar XF with this Stop/Start technology. I found it to be very annoying. If you stop at a stop sign for a moment too long the engine shuts off, then it starts again and it's very noticeable.
This. My girlfriend's new Malibu has it and you almost have to drive with it in mind. You can definitely tell the difference between a running start and an auto stop start.

Quick Reply: Don't let them add Stop/Start to future Corvettes!