Sponsored by:

Help GM Engineers Design the new Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Default Help GM Engineers Design the new Z06

Now that the car is getting reviewed and the reviews look pretty positive, the only area I'm feeling let down in is the mass. With all the emphasis they put into light weight materials it's a little disapointing seeing the weight go UP instead of down from the C6. Since a lot of people on this forum seem to think that GM has no idea how to design cars anymore, I thought it might be helpful to give some advice on how to get mass out of future HI-PO variants.

I'll start off and suggest they go back to the Titanium exhaust like on the C5 Z06, and while they are at it, go to 2 exhaust tips instead of 4 and get rid of those gimicky valves.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:23 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,826 Likes on 1,154 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I'll start off and suggest they go back to the Titanium exhaust like on the C5 Z06, and while they are at it, go to 2 exhaust tips instead of 4 and get rid of those gimicky valves.
Two counters to your suggestions:
  • A Ti exhaust is not only insanely expensive, but it removes weight from the wrong end of the car! It's why they stopped using them.
  • Those valves aren't "gimicky(sic)" as you say. When open they allow the engine to exhale more freely, creating a bit more torque. But when open, the car will fail federal drive-by noise tests. In other words: they're required or the car can't get registered anywhere in the states.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

1. They don't need your help.

2. It's already designed.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:27 AM
larkin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that the car is getting reviewed and the reviews look pretty positive, the only area I'm feeling let down in is the mass. With all the emphasis they put into light weight materials it's a little disapointing seeing the weight go UP instead of down from the C6. Since a lot of people on this forum seem to think that GM has no idea how to design cars anymore, I thought it might be helpful to give some advice on how to get mass out of future HI-PO variants.

Helpful?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd

Lol, exactly.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Expect more gratuitous use of carbon fiber and magnesium. Using carbon fiber frame components will drastically cut weight as long as it can be combined in a way that doesn't compromise structural integrity.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Quoting this just in case anyone misses it.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,450 Likes on 2,273 Posts

They've probably already got most of it done.

Probably well into the tweaking/testing.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by OnPoint
They've probably already got most of it done.

Probably well into the tweaking/testing.
Besides final testing, the car is finished by now for sure.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:00 PM
BIg Wash AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plus some

My guess is BG could do a run of C7 ZR1's today if they wanted to.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Besides final testing, the car is finished by now for sure.
They started considering the development and goals of the vehicle at the same time as the base car. They obviously prioritize the completion of the base car first, but development and testing has been going on nearly as long as the base car. The have to be co-developed to a large extent because it's the same platform and you always have to consider high performance versions while doing the base car and I guarantee they paid even more attention this time around to the Z06 performance. I'm willing to bet that it will be able to take down a 458 Italia in every aspect of performance. Considering how good the base car is, the Z06 will truly be a world class performer.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

They started considering the development and goals of the vehicle at the same time as the base car. They obviously prioritize the completion of the base car first, but development and testing has been going on nearly as long as the base car. The have to be co-developed to a large extent because it's the same platform and you always have to consider high performance versions while doing the base car and I guarantee they paid even more attention this time around to the Z06 performance. I'm willing to bet that it will be able to take down a 458 Italia in every aspect of performance. Considering how good the base car is, the Z06 will truly be a world class performer.
Good thing Ferrari just came out with the 458 Speciale today.

But yeah, it should take on the 458 pretty easily IMO.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

IF they make a C7 Z06 it will surely be a world class performer and it will definitely drive/ride far better than the C6 version.

I honestly think they will only have one variant of Z-car. Heck, the Z06/ZR1 were basically the same car with a different engine so I could see a ZR1 badge with two engine options, a 550+ NA and a S/C or TT 750+.

There will, of course, be more Stingray variants.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

There appears to be more Coolaide drinking going around here than I suspected. So when you guys pick up your new C7, you are not going to change ANYTHING on the car? Not even a favorite motor oil instead of what the factory recommends? If that is the case, then the aftermarket guys might as well close their doors.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

There appears to be more Coolaide drinking going around here than I suspected. So when you guys pick up your new C7, you are not going to change ANYTHING on the car? Not even a favorite motor oil instead of what the factory recommends? If that is the case, then the aftermarket guys might as well close their doors.
Making modifications to the car post-purchase != helping the engineers design the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Help GM Engineers Design the new Z06

Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anyone is saying that. What they're saying is that GM has probably already done a lot for the C7Z that addresses some of these things (and perhaps some things that may take the aftermarket guys a few years to improve on).
Agreed on the increasing use of carbon and titanium exhaust as good ways to reduce weight. They could probably go to a carbon drive shaft and torque tube, which could also eliminate AFM vibrations experienced in the aluminum version.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Where do you get that notion?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RickDI
I am considering the 'fuzzy dice' mod.

Hey Rick - I found a set "buy one get one free", wanna split cost? We'll have more money for more mods....

Quick Reply: Help GM Engineers Design the new Z06