Sponsored by:

Like it matters

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:31 PM
CREST
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like it matters

I am a very big c7 fan and that being said, i feel obligated to share areas where I think the c7 can be improved on.

First of all, while others are busy complaining about the rear end (which i love), i cant help thinking that the corvette would be more amazing if it had an electronic spoiler that comes up at like 50mph.

I know traditionalists are gonna be pissed with such an idea because their C watevers had fixed spoilers and pop up headlights and the weight gain commandos are gonna be all over the extra 5 pounds but still the corvette is evolving and we should be able to embrace changes.......especially ones that make u look and feel like batman on the freeway

Secondly I don't really like the idea of an electronic parking brake in a sports car. Now most of the folk on here dont really appreciate the art of drifting but once in awhile the temptation to do sumn stupid arises and the Hand brake is there for that reason. Now I know dedicated drift cars come with a more elaborate setup but I'll miss the feel of having a lever to pull on and that's how it's supposed to be in sports cars. I know, i sound like one of the "traditionalists" but GM can keep the electronic one for malibu's but not corvettes. My 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:45 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

2 Cents might be pushing it . . . I'd say that contribution was maybe a penny's worth. I'm betting the majority of C7 buyers are not going to be lamenting the absence of an electronic spoiler and a drifting hand brake. You could always add those later if that's what you need . . . . .
Old 08-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Electronic spoiler would probably add more than 5 pounds. More importantly, it would significantly reduce cargo capacity.

To drift in a C7, turn off the nannies and use the gas pedal, not a parking brake.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM
SkyTopp
Instructor

GM has already admitted the C7 is a luxury car first sports and a sports car second. Now come on you couldn't tell by the acres of fake suede and designer luggage? Doesn't sound like a race track drifter to me..........
Old 08-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Elleby13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool story.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:24 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Yeahhhh it doesn't matter
Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyTopp
GM has already admitted the C7 is a luxury car first sports and a sports car second. Now come on you couldn't tell by the acres of fake suede and designer luggage? Doesn't sound like a race track drifter to me..........
Can you point us to that quote?

OP-- 50 mph for the spoiler to deploy? Don't you think that is low?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:13 PM
CREST
Advanced

Originally Posted by rcallen484

I know I saw an article on here saying its a luxury car and still a sports car so yes he's right. I just can't find the post.

Also I picked 50 mph coz I wanna be able to drive in a 45mph zone and see my spoiler deploy. Oh and be rest assured, you're gonna hear the story of that one old man driving in the left lane on the freeway doing 50mph and pissing everybody off. At least now he'll be able to do it with his spoiler up
Old 08-24-2013, 05:51 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, a few things I can comment on here:

1) GM spent a lot of time with the car in a windtunnel so that you don't need an electric spoiler. That being said, it does have a cool factor. You say 5Lbs, I say more like 15 Lbs. Would that be a deal breaker? No. But I wouldn't be for or against it.

2) If you're really into drifting, you'll put in a manual hand-brake. It's not hard and relying on the stock hand-brake in previous generations for drifting seems dumb to me. They weren't that good in the first place. Also, to get the back end to kick out with a car that has as much power as the Corvette, you simply need to step on the clutch, press the gas down and pop the clutch, and the back wheels will break loose. Most drifters know you can still drift without a hand-brake.

Just my $0.98 change.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Well, a few things I can comment on here:

1) GM spent a lot of time with the car in a windtunnel so that you don't need an electric spoiler. That being said, it does have a cool factor. You say 5Lbs, I say more like 15 Lbs. Would that be a deal breaker? No. But I wouldn't be for or against it.

2) If you're really into drifting, you'll put in a manual hand-brake. It's not hard and relying on the stock hand-brake in previous generations for drifting seems dumb to me. They weren't that good in the first place. Also, to get the back end to kick out with a car that has as much power as the Corvette, you simply need to step on the clutch, press the gas down and pop the clutch, and the back wheels will break loose. Most drifters know you can still drift without a hand-brake.

Just my $0.98 change.

Pop-up spoilers are for cars that put zoot suit styling ahead of aerodynamics - the Stingray doesn't need one. Also, if you want to drift - get one of those new Subaru coupes - best drift car ever built. Clarkson loves it, cause he can lay rubber all over the Top Gear set at 25 mph !!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman

Pop-up spoilers are for cars that put zoot suit styling ahead of aerodynamics - the Stingray doesn't need one. Also, if you want to drift - get one of those new Subaru coupes - best drift car ever built. Clarkson loves it, cause he can lay rubber all over the Top Gear set at 25 mph !!
He doesn't attempt this without a substantial spoiler does he?

Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Just use this and hit the rear brake, you'll drift to your asphalt rash's content

I really like his feathered crash helmet. Needs some shoes and knee guards tho
Attached Images  

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-24-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: more junk
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 PM
SkyTopp
Instructor

Originally Posted by rcallen484

Look fot it on one of the splash pages on this very site.

Get notified of new replies

To Like it matters

Quick Reply: Like it matters