Sponsored by:

C7 forum, pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C7 forum, pros and cons

I went back to the C5 forums to add my 2 cents to some posts and I noticed something very different between the C5 and C7 forum.

The C5 section has so few haters, so few complainers, and so on. Seems that nearly every non-vendor thread is someone asking for help (which they get in abundance) or someone showing off something they did to their car. Even a few threads of people just posting pics of their cars just because they want to and they know everyone is going to enjoy them.

I know the C7s aren't out yet for a lot of those types of threads, but it's refreshing to go into a forum that isn't such a downer about things all the time. I completely forgot about how Corvette Forum actually has forums that aren't filled to the brim with nitpickers and dumb arguments.

That being said, one of the sad things I also realized is that half of the C5 forum threads are ads. I complained to CF mods about this because there's a section for that, but they won't keep the forum vendors from muddying up the other sections with non-stop ads. Legitimate threads where people are asking for help get buried under tons of solicitations and ads, never to be seen by others without constant bumps. I feel this is pretty shameful and Internet Brands is a complete sell out, not enforcing their rules just to kiss the vendors' asses.

It would be really great if the C7 section stayed clean of ad-spamming and ridiculous troll-threads. The C5 section used to be my home on the internet. The C7 section gets most of my attention now, but I really hope the C7 section doesn't turn into a wasteland littered with vendor ads and trolling. I also hope that when the C7s start turning up in our driveways, this section will have the civility that the C5 section has. At least, have a brighter happier feel to it.

This place should be like Disneyland to those of us that work all day and just want to come home to something that doesn't hurt our heads... Expensive to get in, but once we're here it's all good times.

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 08-18-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:15 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

It won't stay free of ads. Just the nature of the business.

Some of the posters who frequent the C7 section to downplay the car, will disappear once customers have taken delivery and this section becomes like any other generation section on the forum.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting that one of the biggest ego's on this forum brings up civility...apparently your definition of civility is when everyone agrees with you.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Interesting that one of the biggest ego's on this forum brings up civility...apparently your definition of civility is when everyone agrees with you.
You couldn't be more wrong. The only time I haven't been civil is when I've been personally attacked, as you have done many times, Chuck.

Just saying... Read my posts in the C5 section or even in the C7 section where I'm simply offering information. In every case, when I didn't agree with someone, I stated it in a calm and civil manner. Then I get attacked by someone as if I stomped on their feet.

I remember when you tried to convince me that trucks all had LSx motors in them and they all had LS6 heads. LOL I corrected you and you jumped on my case about it.

Please, don't be a hypocrite. It's unbecoming.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I think it will get better once the car is out and some people who can't let go of the past eventually decide to give up.

I find this section can cause very reasonable, decent people to act like children (myself included sometimes when I get particularly annoyed). The frustration level is high and the trolling factor is also high.

It won't go on forever or folks will find other places to discuss the car.

Last edited by gthal; 08-18-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Some of the posters who frequent the C7 section to downplay the car, will disappear once customers have taken delivery and this section becomes like any other generation section on the forum.
Originally Posted by gthal
I think it will get better once the car is out and some people who can't let go of the past eventually decide to give up.

I find this section can cause very reasonable, decent people to act like children (myself included sometimes when I get particularly annoyed). The frustration level is high and the trolling factor is also high.

and it can't happen soon enough
Old 08-18-2013, 06:27 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

This whole forum came about when the C5 was introduced, I know I was there.
Back then there were more purists of people who liked cars, IMO the C5 was the last drivers car, but that was also the 1st year that people in their golden years could be pretty comfortable in it where as to the C4 was a harsher ride, that you had to climb over and get in.

I loved the C4, and my C5 Z is still my favorite corvette to date, the C6 was just a numb version of the C5, is had more HP in both variants , but lacked the driver to car feel, besides the fact you could not tell the c5 between the C6 10 feet away.
The C6 was built more for the older man, where the C7 is a fresh design but to get back some of the younger people, I'm not talking 18 year olds, I'm talking 30 years old like me.

Don't be fooled by the mods back then, yes the forum was bought and changed drastically, but back then there were mods that would get free products from venders, for exchanging rave reviews , even if the product didnt produce much of anything.

The topics have become petty and boring, like a bunch of old lady's arguing at a hair salon, if you own another car you are compnsidered a fanboy of the car etc.

If you want to be part of a community where you won't find a spindle argument, and people who still have passion about their cars, buy a Grand National and join Turbo Buick, its by far the best forum on the web
Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 AM
1Sikstik
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A numb version of the C5? pretty funny dude
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Sikstik
A numb version of the C5? pretty funny dude
I guess he means the C6 is just C5.5....

Old 08-18-2013, 08:37 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Using this forum does require some attitude adjustment. There is some great information available but you often have to sift through an amazing amount of excrement to get to it. I look forward to the delivery of the C7 to owners and the accompanying maturation of this section.

I restore vintage amateur radio gear and frequent a couple of forums related to the topic. Most threads are fairly technical and loaded with information and the moderators wield a meat axe to any poster who goes astray. Coming to the C7 forum from those areas requires a culture shift and sometimes coming here I feel like a devout southern Baptist who suddenly finds photos from Penthouse randomly inserted into the pages of his Bible The ignore function in the user console helps a lot and the ability to just quick click a user to place them there would be nice.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal

I agree, once the car is in the hands of actual owners, the forum section will change dramatically. Right now, we are disscussing a car that all intent and purpose doesn't exist yet.

It won't be long before the tech section opens up, and we will see much more positive and help dialoge as you mention. I currently reside in the C4 forums, and it too is very much as you speak of C5, and it seems the others are all very similar. I guess I'm somewhat of a troll here myself, as I probably won't be driving a C7 for a couple of years or more. But I am really excited about the car and have a desire to learn more. Things are looking up in my career and you never know if those magic numbers will hit, so here I am.

Right now, though, I think it's a matter of personal respect. Everyone is entitled to form their opinion and to express it. Everyone else is just as entitle to rebute that opinion. However, I would suggest in so doing, treat it like you were face to face at a car show. I mean, I wouldn't tell someone that their car is ugly or outdated at an event because I thought their mods were not tasteful, so I won't do it here either.

For those that come here expressly to ridicule the car, well, they will be gone shortly. There's nothing really to argue about with them, they are just looking for the arguement and could really care less about the car. Like the guy that keeps calling a 6.5, you know, he isn't paying attention and is just trying to rile people up, so let it go. I find it more amusing than annoying these days.

Then there are those that built up these unrealistic expectations prior to the reveal, that thought the base model should outperform everything on the road out of the box. But time will work on them and they will calm down and see the car for what it is.

As far as the dealer threads, well there are probably alot of folks that haven't really paid attention to the rollout of a new generation of Corvette. It's a pretty big deal, and dealer mark ups are more common than not. Of course car buying has changed a bit since 2004, and dealers need to catch on, but apparently so do some buyers. But there has always been mark up on these things on the first round of cars. It's a big deal to see a new Corvette.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my take.

Maybe some of us are so thoroughly disappointed with the C7 that we can't help but express our opinions.

Maybe we too were quite excited the see the all new generation of Corvette and feel they just completely missed the boat.

Maybe we see the expected betterment of the car to be a substantial improvement across the board which it's not IMO.

Maybe we think the styling albeit the most subjective aspect of the car is just flat out horrible.

Maybe all the supporters should stop praising a car that has absolutely zero street time by the public.

Maybe this car will have many mechanical, fit/finish and overall satisfaction issues, after all they always do.

Maybe being a purist isn't such a bad thing, and IMO there is nothing about the C7 that makes me think Corvette.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Coming to the C7 forum from those areas requires a culture shift and sometimes coming here I feel like a devout southern Baptist who suddenly finds photos from Penthouse randomly inserted into the pages of his Bible The ignore function in the user console helps a lot and the ability to just quick click a user to place them there would be nice.
Great analogy. I have yet to ever use my ignore function on CF and that is because sometimes even the guys I can't stand to see here on CF7 come out with something interesting/valuable.

Hopefully, when this car finally becomes more of an everyday car to live with, those folks will either become C7 owners or they will find there way back to their own CF forum and the rest of us can move on to helping each other in meaningful ways like the other CF Forums do.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Here's my take.

Maybe some of us are so thoroughly disappointed with the C7 that we can't help but express our opinions.

Maybe we too were quite excited the see the all new generation of Corvette and feel they just completely missed the boat.

Maybe we see the expected betterment of the car to be a substantial improvement across the board which it's not IMO.

Maybe we think the styling albeit the most subjective aspect of the car is just flat out horrible.

Maybe all the supporters should stop praising a car that has absolutely zero street time by the public.

Maybe this car will have many mechanical, fit/finish and overall satisfaction issues, after all they always do.

Maybe being a purist isn't such a bad thing, and IMO there is nothing about the C7 that makes me think Corvette.

Maybe the Corvette enthusiasts here would prefer that you take your sour grapes attitude back to wherever it came from, since this forum is not named "C7 Bitch and Moan".

Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
People are often guilty of the crimes that they accuse others of.
Him and his buddy don't have the courage to frequent a proper engineering forum. They impress the low information members however, with their gobbledygook.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speednet
Maybe the Corvette enthusiasts here would prefer that you take your sour grapes attitude back to wherever it came from, since this forum is not named "C7 Bitch and Moan".

So between my post and yours who is the antagonist? I'm a Corvette enthusiast, I've owned four. Sour grapes towards what? Explain yourself! Oh and btw, guys like you make it worse for the good guys on here. It's a damn shame so many have on blinders.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:52 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Here's my take.

I understand but at some point, given the hugely positive and hugely impressive independent reviews, isn't it time for some to let it go? Maybe it's time to accept that the subjective elements are what they are and it isn't changing? Maybe it's time to just let people in the C7 forum discuss a car that has now been shown to live up to hype?

One comment I find interesting. You don't think it's a substantial improvement across the board? It's fine that you believe so but it is COMPLETELY contrary to what everyone who has actually driven and reviewed the car believe. The reports are a resounding "much better, big improvement, best yet" car. At what point does someone who disagrees with this, without first hand experience and arguably without merit, just stop the argument?

The frustration is that the car has actually been as well received as ANYONE could possibly have hoped by those who have had the fortune of driving it. Continuing to try to find things to nitpick are now really annoying, not productive and smell a lot like simple **** disturbing. The design is what it is and it seems that most of the world is loving it outside of some traditionalists. Again, it's OK to not like it but when does the constant commentary stop and people who really don't like it just move on and let those that do have some peace for a while?

So, all your points are valid for you but there is an equally valid other side that many ignore... and let's not forget... this is the C7 forum where enthusiasts of the C7 want to discuss it. That doesn't mean no negative sentiment but the constant bashing, criticism and comments that simply incite others is so old it isn't funny. People who don't like the car don't need to but at some point it would be polite and considerate to give it rest because the bashing isn't fixing what they don't like nor changing anything. How does it go again...

Grant me the serentity to ACCEPT the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and WISDOM to know the difference

Based on Pewter's response, I'm thinking even the mods are as frustrated as the rest.

Last edited by gthal; 08-18-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 forum, pros and cons

Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Here's my take.

I hope things don't turn out all that bad, but I certainly understand your concerns and reservations. After two C6's, one of of which had some major first year issues, I'm still a Corvette fan and am closely following the development of the C7. Although I currently own a 2013 Porsche Boxster S ... you know, that little "girlie car" ... the Corvette will always be a part of my life.

After nearly nine years on the C6 forum here, I must admit that I am somewhat appalled at the lack of respect and outright rudeness too often displayed here. I really don't quite get it. Some posts are obviously deliberate trolls, but feeding the trolls has never been a viable course of action. Other posts have expressed dissatisfaction with the C7 design, and those posters are all too often dealt with as "traitors" and outcasts.

If you check out other car forums, you will find that the C7 section of Corvette Forum is frequently being mentioned and discussed ... not for its insights and updates, but rather for the often objectionable nature of its discourse. IMHO, this section of CF debases the integrity of the entire site. There is a ton of good information being posted here, and I enjoy that part of the C7 section. I have many friends here whom I have known for years over at the C6 forum. I do, however, find it sad that so many of the members here feel compelled to skewer any dissenting opinions, rather than engage in open and friendly discussions.

As many others have said, the real test will be when the C7 is actually being produced, shipped, and delivered to waiting customers. Those first real world driving and ownership reports will, hopefully, bring the C7 forum back to what it should be.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM
0-60B4U
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my take.

Maybe some of us are so thoroughly disappointed with the C7 that we can't help but express our opinions. Chevy changed every part but 2 and you're disappointed! Why?

Maybe we too were quite excited the see the all new generation of Corvette and feel they just completely missed the boat. How did they miss the boat?

Maybe we see the expected betterment of the car to be a substantial improvement across the board which it's not IMO. You haven't even driven the car and you can make a statement like this!!!!!

Maybe we think the styling albeit the most subjective aspect of the car is just flat out horrible.[COLOR="red"] Apparently you tastes exist in another dimension!

Maybe all the supporters should stop praising a car that has absolutely zero street time by the public. [COLOR="red"] Maybe all the non-supporters like you should stop demeaning ever aspect of the C7 before it has any street time!

Maybe this car will have many mechanical, fit/finish and overall satisfaction issues, after all they always do. [COLOR="red"] And maybe this car will have very few mechanical, fit/finish, and overall satisfaction issues.

Maybe being a purist isn't such a bad thing, and IMO there is nothing about the C7 that makes me think Corvette. [COLOR="red"] You are not a purist, you are a TROLL who needs to be blocked from the C7 forum.

Dan
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

keep going people.....

Quick Reply: C7 forum, pros and cons