Sponsored by:

Some closeups of the "bare" car at Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM
mrrrkva
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Some closeups of the "bare" car at Carlisle

Just thought I would post some pics of the "Bare" car at Carlisle.
Attached Images      
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 PM
yellowray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are those two devices mounted just ahead of the inlet to the mufflers, some sort of valve control to restrict exhaust at low speed?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 PM
mrrrkva
Pro

I believe this is the NPP option that Makes them Dual mode. Give you 5 more HP and louder in the track mode
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I also noted that the radiator is slanted forward at the top, IIRC the C6 was slanted back at the top.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,140 Posts

First the valves: They are on all models to deal with the sound of the exhaust in 4 cylinder econo mode to make the exhaust sound better.

The slanted downward radiator is in that configuration so the airflow is directed to the hood vent and produces added down force.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowray
What are those two devices mounted just ahead of the inlet to the mufflers, some sort of valve control to restrict exhaust at low speed?
If I'm not mistaken, those are used to close off some of the exhaust flow for when the car is in cylinder deactivation mode. They would in theory close/restrict the exhaust partially to create additional back pressure when running on 4 cylinders. These would function separate from the multimode exhaust valves at the exit of the mufflers which operate similarly to those found on the NPP exhaust of the C6.

Last edited by slief; 08-28-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 AM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrrkva
I believe this is the NPP option that Makes them Dual mode. Give you 5 more HP and louder in the track mode
Looks to me from other pics that the NPP butterfly valves are in the tip tubes after the mufflers (like current the NPP, yet moved from the inside tip tubes to the outside tip tubes).

I am thinking that the valves ahead of the mufflers are related to the variable sound noted when changing the driving modes that also change the level of growl from the exhaust.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 AM
mrrrkva
Pro

Front lift is reduced by tilting the radiator forward, just like the C6.R race car. Gives more downforce. This eliminates the "gremlin" of front end lift at high speeds that the C6 had.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 AM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Front lift is reduced by tilting the radiator forward, just like the C6.R race car. Gives more downforce. This eliminates the "gremlin" of front end lift at high speeds that the C6 had.
That shows how much I know about aerodynamics... I would have though the exact opposite, that the slant (top-forward) of the radiator (and resultant direction air pressure created by it) would actually create lift... crazy...
Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 AM
yellowray
Instructor

Originally Posted by slief
If I'm not mistaken, those are used to close off some of the exhaust flow for when the car is in cylinder deactivation mode. They would in theory close/restrict the exhaust partially to create additional back pressure when running on 4 cylinders. These would function separate from the multimode exhaust valves at the exit of the mufflers which operate similarly to those found on the NPP exhaust of the C6.
Sounds logical. Could also help hide the sound change from 8 to 4 cylinders. I don't know, would more back pressure help catalysts function better on 4 cylinders?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:07 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Front lift is reduced by tilting the radiator forward, just like the C6.R race car.
Clarification: the simple act of tilting the radiator forward does very little, if anything for aero and down force. What it does, however, is open up the possibility of adding air flow through the front end of the car via vents in the bumper and hood. That is what provides the down force, and significantly better engine cooling.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Originally Posted by kozmic
That shows how much I know about aerodynamics... I would have though the exact opposite, that the slant (top-forward) of the radiator (and resultant direction air pressure created by it) would actually create lift... crazy...
Yup, mrrrkva is right, that's the way it works.

A couple of good old references are Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles by Wolf-Hendrich Hucho and Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed By Joseph Katz. Available through your local library by inter library loan.

Jim Hall of Chaparall fame did an awful lot of work with whole vehicle aerodynamics. His story is worth the read.

Some early race car designs had the radiator parallel to the ground with a "bottom" intake and exhausted through the hood.

Note that the new Viper also exhausts through the hood. The Viper GTS-R has huge hood exhausts.

The trick is to exhaust into a low pressure area on the hood and pick up from a high pressure area in the front or underneath the car.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
Clarification: the simple act of tilting the radiator forward does very little, if anything for aero and down force. What it does, however, is open up the possibility of adding air flow through the front end of the car via vents in the bumper and hood. That is what provides the down force, and significantly better engine cooling.
Ah... that makes sense. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Some closeups of the "bare" car at Carlisle

Quick Reply: Some closeups of the "bare" car at Carlisle