Sponsored by:

Roof options . . . making sense of it / them

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Roger Sobin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof options . . . making sense of it / them

Can someone (or several of you) break down the Roof options for the coupe?

CFA Body-Color Carbon Roof N/C
C2M Carbon Fiber/Glass Dual Roof Package $2,995
C2Q Body-Color/Glass Dual Roof Package $1,995
C2Z Roof panel, 1-Piece Visible Carbon Fiber $1,995
CC3 Roof panel, 1-Piece Glass $995

Up to now, I asked for the roof to be the same color as the car.

But the options above, just what is what, and why . . .

Or, it is better to add an option roof later, from the dealer? Cost the same . . . will it fit

What ever help you can off . . . is appreciated.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:09 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Try the Search function. There are dozens of threads.

Here's one.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Not trying to be difficult. But the roof options are really self explanatory. Yes you can order later. Will they fit? Of course.
Sorry, I'm not really seeing your dilemma.
As CM said above, use the search function. Lot's of explanations. We can't answer all your questions, since only you can choose what YOU like.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Roger Sobin
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedlink
Not trying to be difficult. But the roof options are really self explanatory. Yes you can order later. Will they fit? Of course.
Sorry, I'm not really seeing your dilemma.
As CM said above, use the search function. Lot's of explanations. We can't answer all your questions, since only you can choose what YOU like.
I have ordered a 2014, but have not owned one in the past. So I really do not know what each of these options look like, or use of, or what is really worth it, or practical . . .

So I just asked to be educated to try and see what you all, already know in the Corvette world.

Key is, if it can to added later, maybe that is the way to go to better understand it. On the other hand, if it becomes clearer what each can do and is cheaper to do it now -- then that is an option.

Thanks from a newby.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Sobin
Can someone (or several of you) break down the Roof options for the coupe?

CFA Body-Color Carbon Roof N/C
C2M Carbon Fiber/Glass Dual Roof Package $2,995
C2Q Body-Color/Glass Dual Roof Package $1,995
C2Z Roof panel, 1-Piece Visible Carbon Fiber $1,995
CC3 Roof panel, 1-Piece Glass $995

Up to now, I asked for the roof to be the same color as the car.

But the options above, just what is what, and why . . .

Or, it is better to add an option roof later, from the dealer? Cost the same . . . will it fit

What ever help you can off . . . is appreciated.

CFA Body-Color Carbon Roof = painted same as your car color, (not transparent)

C2M Carbon Fiber/Glass Dual Roof Package = 2 roofs, 1 lightweight carbon fiber with clear finish (not transparent - exposed carbon strands); 2nd roof Lexan tinted glass (transparent)

C2Q Body-Color/Glass Dual Roof Package = 2 roofs, 1 painted same as your car color (not transparent); 2nd roof Lexan tinted glass (transparent)

C2Z Roof panel, 1-Piece Visible Carbon Fiber = special lightweight carbon fiber that you can see through (transparent)

CC3 Roof panel, 1-Piece Glass = Lexan tinted glass (transparent)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:55 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
C2Z Roof panel, 1-Piece Visible Carbon Fiber = special lightweight carbon fiber that you can see through (transparent)
By transparent, I think he means the coating is transparent, so you can see the carbon fiber weave. You CAN NOT see through the roof, just the paint.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:01 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

The transparent roof you can see through, just like the one on my C6!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:20 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,289 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Really wish they would paint "spears" on the glass roof. Unless it's a black car or a very dark color, it just looks odd with the roof on as is.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:18 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JockItch
Really wish they would paint "spears" on the glass roof. Unless it's a black car or a very dark color, it just looks odd with the roof on as is.
To each his own. I think it looks fine as is. It's close to being a black roof, and the look is much like as with the roof off. Painted edges look weird to me.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM
CAFritz
Cruising

What I don't understand (and sorry, if that is so "clear" to many of you but not me like the OP...) is why one would order "C2Q" -body color and Lexan- for $1995 IF I can get the SAME setup for $995 if I order "CFA" -body color N/C" and "CC3" -Lexan-?????
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAFritz
What I don't understand (and sorry, if that is so "clear" to many of you but not me like the OP...) is why one would order "C2Q" -body color and Lexan- for $1995 IF I can get the SAME setup for $995 if I order "CFA" -body color N/C" and "CC3" -Lexan-?????
You can't order both. It's one or the other, or C2Q which gives you both
Old 08-15-2013, 08:57 PM
CAFritz
Cruising

I understand but I get the body colored roof for free as "standard". Then I buy as an option the CC3 as a 2nd roof and now I have two roofs for $995, right? So why would anybody pay $1995 for the same combination? Sorry, what am I missing?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

I understand but I get the body colored roof for free as "standard". Then I buy as an option the CC3 as a 2nd roof and now I have two roofs for $995, right? So why would anybody pay $1995 for the same combination? Sorry, what am I missing?
I edited my post after you read it (you are fast) when I realized what you were asking.. Please see post 11 again
Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 PM
CAFritz
Cruising

Tx, I didn't know you could not order that combo. So, would it make sense to order CFA -body color- and then add AFTER purchase from the dealer CC3? Chevy must have figured this out and probably will charge you a lot more than $995? Have any of you C6 and prior owners gone through this? (this will be my first Corvette :-)
Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Tx, I didn't know you could not order that combo. So, would it make sense to order CFA -body color- and then add AFTER purchase from the dealer CC3? Chevy must have figured this out and probably will charge you a lot more than $995? Have any of you C6 and prior owners gone through this? (this will be my first Corvette :-)
Yes it will cost much more. They are deducting the cost of the standard top from the cost of the clear one. Buying it after the fact through GM would not be cost effective. You might be able to find one in the future on ebay or craigslist for much less.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM
CAFritz
Cruising

Tx much :-) Woah, this is getting confusing... I was at the Historics at Monterey, CA today and saw a few C7's. Most were out for testing etc. but did see a laguna blue one with brownstone, nice but not my favorite. Saw a stickered out Bandurant white one (one of my choices with adrenaline red, don't know about this one). Also saw the grey interior, looks to be soiled :-( and the light brown one, not bad. My favorite color, crystal metallic red wasn't there (only torch -don't like), at least not today (pre-show, all starts tomorrow...). So I think either ALL white exterior -no carbon flash- and black interior -LT2- with black wheels or CMR with same. Still have to drive this thing and see on how it compares to my GT3. Tschuess...
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Saw a stickered out Bandurant white one
So Bondurant has at least one C7 in-hand and has it prepped for Phoenix?
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Roof options . . . making sense of it / them

Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I would just go with the standard painted free roof.

The choices move to carbon fiber exposed roof or lexan transparent roof.

Both cool but not worth the coin...

I usually buy the lexan roof off some guy who bought both and decided he never uses the lexan so he sells it for 700?

I don't like storing the second roof in the garage or the house so I often times even trade guys who have the lexan transparent and want painted...that works out for both of us and it saves even more time and money.

New painted roof is 16 pounds and carbon fiber too....and its free! Or maybe a better term is standard...

The exposed carbon fiber with painted spears looks cool but I'm a cheap SOB...
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

It is a little less confusing if you think about it this way: The roof is a two-piece deal -- a frame plus a panel that fits into the frame. Painted, carbon fiber, and polycarbonate are the three choices in panels. The frame price is embedded into the base price of the car, so the extra cost for carbon fiber or polycarbonate is for the panel substitution.

But when you order a second roof you will not only get the second panel but also a second frame. It is the price of that second frame that turns a $995 polycarbonate roof panel into a $1,995 complete roof. That is consistent with the C6 pricing as well. The inconsistency in pricing appears to be with the carbon fiber roof. The carbon fiber roof plus the polycarbonate roof is priced too low, assuming the $1,995 upcharge for the carbon fiber panel is fairly priced.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Regarding buying after market here's my C6 experience.

Got my 13 GS last November Coughlin in Ohio. It had the solid roof. Told them I wanted to add the clear and they said we'd sell it to you for our cost $1,500.

Found another local dealer who said he'd do it for $1,200.... don't know why the difference.

But got mine from GM Parthouse.......a special they where running for $1K including shipping.

So point is they will be available after market IF you are looking for a non colored roof. If you want solid you need to add the paint.

Quick Reply: Roof options . . . making sense of it / them