C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the deal with the Corvette vs Porsche craziness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default What is the deal with the Corvette vs Porsche craziness?

I have been off the forum for some time since I sold my C6 a few years ago.

Now that I have a C7 on order I am back on the forum and gaining a ton of info from the members.

One thing I forgot about was the constant and never ending Corvette vs Porsche thing. I can't believe how many posts, just in the C7 forum, have comments about which is better, how stupid Porsche buyers are (or vice versa), yada, yada.

Why is everyone so hung up on this topic? I consider myself a avid car person who has had a few Porsches and one Corvette (with my C7 on order, will make two).

I am still not sure why many people are so bent on comparing these two cars/brands to death. It is like people need justification for their decision to buy a Corvette (or Porsche).

Is it really that big a deal that some people like Porsche and some people like Corvette? Some people appreciate both, myself included. I think both cars have very unique things to offer and are really completely different cars/brands.

In my eyes, there is no one perfect car.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

some people just like to argue
Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I can speak from my perspective. As far as sports cars goes, or what one could consider and upscale sport/touring car, a Porsche is the closest thing price wise to a corvette, and quite honestly is probably the most "achievable" or realistically able to be attained luxury sports car. For more perspective, when I was growing up, child of the 80's, dream cars were Ferrari's, Lambo's, and Porsches. Of the 3, even today, the only one I would realistically be able to buy is a Porsche. Now notice I didn't say Corvette when I was a kid. They didn't seem to be in the same category for me back then, but a lot has changed now, and I think that's why you see a lot of comparisons in peoples minds. If they were the same price, I would long and hard consider both brands. But im talking 911 vs Corvette, not a boxster. Today I can afford both, but for the value, performance, and increased quality, I like the C7. If they were both 70k, who knows which way I would go.

I don't get involved in any of these Porsche vs Corvette "discussions" because I have never owned a Porsche. But car lovers are all the same, they defend their choice to the death.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Key words you love cars! Your adult enough not to believe "I have it or I like it so it's the best"
Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Porsche is considered by so many to be the affordable ultimate sports car of the world, and the Corvette has been marketing the C5,C6 and now C7 as a world wide sportscar. So the press, not necessarily the most informed car people, seem to look and want start controversy to sell print and stories, so it was a natural match between Corvette and Porsche. Also when you add in the Petit LaMans racing, so many Porsches, and now Corvette, plus others, well this sells.

So using two world renown brands and start a war between the two, heck thats good press. Don't agree, feel the Corvette is so much a better value, even the C5 and C6 generations, Porsche is a beautiful car, for me not my type.

I do agree on one comment, the car you own is the best of the one that is being compared to your car.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 08-15-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent post OP!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Yippee, another Porsche thread. . . .

Seriously tho, the comparison is beggining to made more often because Porsche is one of C7s main competitors. It's not in same class, nor intended to be, as that of Ferrari. Viper doesn't make enough cars to be relevant to the discussion at least outside of hi-po Corvette variant comparisons.

And like mentioned above, some folks just like to argue. And some folks like to come in here and suggest that not only is the Porsche a superior car to the Corvette, but the people who buy Porsches are suprerior to people who buy Corvettes, as if they are the product of superior breeding.

In the big scheme of things, the cars are very different machines with different strengths and weaknesses. Both have become excellent sports cars. And I'm glad they exist and are competing against each other. Such will make both of them better, and that's good for us car guys.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

I am not one here for the fight. In fact I was seriously considering one of the 911 variants to replace my C6. Then the C7 came along and since I am still in the only one sports car at a time mode, I will stay in Corvette for now. To me this is similar to 1997 when I was just about to buy a kit 427 Cobra and then the C5 came out with similar performance an modern convenience.
I think the racing/track based competition and comparisons are healthy and improve all cars. In my experience there are very fast Porsches, Corvettes, Vipers, BMWs, etc. and the drivers generally respect each others cars when well driven.
I choose the C7 as my one sports car since I need it to be economical, all purpose, reliable, easy to service, and always ready to take long road trips. Once I retire, I plan to increase my car hobby and will likely have several sports cars. A Porsche will almost certainly be in the mix.

I say love them all, and own what you can!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Seriously tho, the comparison is beggining to made more often because Porsche is one of C7s main competitors. It's not in same class, nor intended to be, as that of Ferrari. Viper doesn't make enough cars to be relevant to the discussion at least outside of hi-po Corvette variant comparisons.

In the big scheme of things, the cars are very different machines with different strengths and weaknesses. Both have become excellent sports cars. And I'm glad they exist and are competing against each other. Such will make both of them better, and that's good for us car guys.
Exactly!

Team Corvette wants to steal Porsche market share in the U.S.A. at least and in Europe if possible. They are the one who has significant sales numbers here that directly compete with the Corvette.

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-15-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I would think people that love Porsche would be on a Porsche forum. So, why are they on a Corvette forum? Maybe they are just contrarians. You say white, they say black. You say up, they say down. Some do it for sport and some are just built that way and do not realize they are doing it. There, I feel much better!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
I would think people that love Porsche would be on a Porsche forum. So, why are they on a Corvette forum? Maybe they are just contrarians. You say white, they say black. You say up, they say down. Some do it for sport and some are just built that way and do not realize they are doing it. There, I feel much better!
maybe they love both?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by pewter99
some people just like to argue
Originally Posted by rothchilds
I don't get involved in any of these Porsche vs Corvette "discussions" because I have never owned a Porsche. But car lovers are all the same, they defend their choice to the death.
I agree. Being proud of their choice is a good thing. That means they got the right car for themselves. I think it gets bad went the trash other people's choices. I am President of the local PCA chapter and at our last Drivers Ed we had some Corvettes on the track...fun was had by all!

Originally Posted by EBVette
Porsche is considered by so many to be the affordable ultimate sports car of the world, and the Corvette has been marketing the C5,C6 and now C7 as a world wide sportscar. So the press, not necessarily the most informed car people, seem to look and want start controversy to sell print and stories, so it was a natural match between Corvette and Porsche. Also when you add in the Petit LaMans racing, so many Porsches, and now Corvette, plus others, well this sells.

So using two world renown brands and start a war between the two, heck thats good press. Don't agree, feel the Corvette is so much a better value, even the C5 and C6 generations, Porsche is a beautiful car, for me not my type.

I do agree on one comment, the car you own is the best of the one that is being compared to your car.
I am not sure I agree on Porsche being so affordable anymore. Boxsters and Caymans are certainly more affordable vs other Porsches but they have become rather expensive. Totally agree the car you own is the best

Originally Posted by Beach
Key words you love cars! Your adult enough not to believe "I have it or I like it so it's the best"

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Excellent post OP!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Yippee, another Porsche thread. . . .

And like mentioned above, some folks just like to argue. And some folks like to come in here and suggest that not only is the Porsche a superior car to the Corvette, but the people who buy Porsches are suprerior to people who buy Corvettes, as if they are the product of superior breeding.

Yeah, sorry for another Porsche thread I agree 100% with your statements.

Originally Posted by adamsocb
I say love them all, and own what you can!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Exactly!

Team Corvette wants to steal Porsche market share in the U.S.A. at least and in Europe if possible. They are the one who has significant sales numbers here that directly compete with the Corvette.
No doubt about that. I am not sure how successful they will be but time will tell. I still like them both.

Last edited by Periokid; 08-15-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 05dsom
maybe they love both?
Or they are trolls. You get them everywhere just trying to **** everyone off.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

I tend to stay out of the Porsche/Corvette debates because I would own either if I found the right example at a great price and if I lived in a place where Porsche servicing could be done reasonably conveniently.

Having just come from a few weeks in Europe (none of it in Germany), and having been in a LOT of traffic, I can tell you I was a bit shocked at how few Porsches I saw. I did see a ton of various BMWs.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I like them both as well. I like the style of the C7 and think the 911 is looking a bit dated. However the 911 has some mechanical bits like the PDK transmission that I prefer.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Guys, guys, guys.... Let's stop the bickering.

Whether made Germany or the good Ol' US of A, there some things I'm sure we can find some common ground to agree upon.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sin City

Whether made Germany or the good Ol' US of A, there some things I'm sure we can find some common ground to agree upon.
Ya ya!

Get notified of new replies

To What is the deal with the Corvette vs Porsche craziness?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy Weiner, I mean Oktoberfest!!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

I like where this is going!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Periokid
I like where this is going!
It's called a thread save and it came in the nick of time!

Quick Reply: What is the deal with the Corvette vs Porsche craziness?