Both roofs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Whataguy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Both roofs?

Just coming out of a C6 convertible and going to a C7 coupe but I'm undecided about the two roofs. Did you get both and use them for different reasons or does one always stay in the garage? I like the Carbon Fiber for color matching purposes and the Transparent just to have kind of a sunroof effect.

What's your opinion?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pick one and go with it. I always found storing a second roof in the house a hassle.

I'd go with the free one and buy a lexan roof off the forum as owners with both tend to choose one eventually.

I then sell my solid free one although this time around...the solid one is lighter 16 lbs of painted carbon fiber so I might stay with that...

If I like the carbon fiber black roof with the painted spears...I'll have the painted roof done and painted black in the middle leaving the body colored spears....

Or some vendor here will come up with a carbon fiber look for the center of the roof..

To answer your question..I like the lexan roof on my c6...as it opens the passenger compartment....I don't like the lexan roof without the body colored spears...

Might be a vendor who offers a painted spear lexan roof option..
Old 08-10-2013, 09:11 AM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Whataguy
Just coming out of a C6 convertible and going to a C7 coupe but I'm undecided about the two roofs. Did you get both and use them for different reasons or does one always stay in the garage? I like the Carbon Fiber for color matching purposes and the Transparent just to have kind of a sunroof effect.

What's your opinion?
It really depends on how you plan to use your C7. I will have the roof panel stored in the back most of the time (just like I had the convertible top down most of the time). When I don't have it stored I like to have light come through similar to a sun roof, so I went with the transparent panel only. Plus I like the overall visual effect of the black panel matching the rear window contrasting with my Torch Red body.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:47 AM
repo czar
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 105 Posts

I get one roof then buy the transparent roof later. Then I switch roofs every week. It is easy and then people think I have a new car.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Whataguy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Will do both

Originally Posted by jsc7vette
It really depends on how you plan to use your C7. I will have the roof panel stored in the back most of the time (just like I had the convertible top down most of the time). When I don't have it stored I like to have light come through similar to a sun roof, so I went with the transparent panel only. Plus I like the overall visual effect of the black panel matching the rear window contrasting with my Torch Red body.
I agree, coming out of a convertible that the top was hardly ever in the up position, I think the coupe top will mostly be stored in the car and I'll keep the extra one in the garage for a change. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:05 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I had the clear roof on my C6 and put a DSV sunshade on it. Turned the cabin into a green house IMHO. I took the roof out a lot and drove it like that but when the roof was on, so was the sunshade.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

I am trying to figure out how to get all three roofs. I can't order them all with the car. I ordered the dual option (exposed cf and clear) so I will add the body color later if the fever doesn't break.

This input is appreciated as I have never owned a targa type vehicle.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

On my C5, I used the clear roof fall, winter, and spring. Switched to the solid roof during the summer, as the heat and bright sunshine turned my ebony interior into an oven. Had a rack on the garage wall for the not used top.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
On my C5, I used the clear roof fall, winter, and spring. Switched to the solid roof during the summer, as the heat and bright sunshine turned my ebony interior into an oven. Had a rack on the garage wall for the not used top.
Exactly my experience. If you have to choose i would recommend you do not get the clear roof.. I never used mine after April or before Oct. you could plant anything you want in the passenger seat a natural grow light..
Old 08-11-2013, 12:16 PM
yellowray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted the carbon with body colored trim. The salesman said that would be the hardest to get later. The clear top would be the easiest to get at another time.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowray
I wanted the carbon with body colored trim. The salesman said that would be the hardest to get later. The clear top would be the easiest to get at another time.
Exactly. Go with the carbon fiber roof panel. Another reason is that from the looks of GM'er's thread, a relatively small number of people are buying the carbon fiber roof, so you won't see it everywhere you go.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't care about visible carbon fiber myself. But I wanted the solid and transparent roofs. Never know when it's too cold for top-off but super clear out.

Get notified of new replies

To Both roofs?

Quick Reply: Both roofs?